Re: Error in Apache

  • Verhoef
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
      I have checked the PTF numbers on our system and they are installed
      (ptf SI05372 is superseded by SI10831/SI10570), so this is not the
      solution.

      In the next weeks i'm going to test also on v5r3 Apache; i will let
      you know if this solves the problem. It's a strange problem because
      it appears only in 1 program. This program is not much different
      than the other programs.

      Do you suggest for this problem also an upgrade of cgidev2 ? I think
      our version is 2002-05-16 and release 2002-06-18 when i look at the
      data areas.

      Regards, Martin Verhoef

      --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, Mel Rothman <mel@r...> wrote:
      > Other people have mentioned the same problem (see Easy400Group
      message
      > 4576).
      >
      > I suspect that this is an IBM bug that occurs with the PBA server
      when
      > the content length exceeds 1500 bytes. Apparently, the bug was
      found in
      > V5R2M0 and PTFs were prepared for V5R2M0 and V5R1M0. I suspect
      the fix
      > was incorporated into V5R3M0 and therefore there is no PTF for
      that release.

      > Here are the PTF numbers and related information for users to try:
      >
      > V5R1M0: SI04965, see: http://makeashorterlink.com/?H6CF51D5A
      >
      > V5R2M0: SI05372, see http://makeashorterlink.com/?M2DF41D5A
      >
      > The APAR number is SE06257. Here is the text, copied from the PTF:
      >
      > DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM FIXED FOR APAR
      SE06257 :

      > APACHE server using the QzhbCgiParse API fails with a
      msgcpf3c17

      > in the browser after doing a POST to a
      GCI

      > program. It fails when the content length is more
      than

      > 1500
      bytes.

      > CORRECTION FOR APAR
      SE06257 :

      > -----------------------------

      > Original server did not let the cgi run until stdin was all
      done

      > being written. Powered by Apache server will start running
      the

      > cgi program before all of the stdin data is
      written.

      > QzhbCGIParse did not loop while reading stdin, so if the
      data

      > was in multiple packets, it would not get all of it in one
      read

      > and thus fail. This has been corrected to loop until all of
      the

      > data is
      received.

      > CIRCUMVENTION FOR APAR
      SE06257 :

      > --------------------------------

      > None.
      >
      > Please let the group know if this helps.
      >
      > Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
      > Mel Rothman, Inc.
      >
      > furnessmve wrote:
      >

      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I'm working for Furness Logistics in the Netherlands and we are
      > > using cgidev2 the last 4 years; we are very happy with it.
      > > We build web screens for our warehouse logistics activities like
      > > orders, stock positions, track and trace.
      > >
      > > In production we are running v5r2 with the (last) original Http
      > > server. I have also running the Apache server (v5r2) for testing.
      > > Most of the web/cgidev2 programs are running well in Apache; only
      > > one program generates this error:
      > > The requested heap space operation is invalid.
      > > The pointer parameter passed to free or realloc is not valid.
      > > QzhbCgiParse: Error: Can't read CONTENT_LENGTH bytes from stdin.
      > > Space offset X'00000000' or teraspace offset X'0000000000000000'
      is
      > > outside current limit for object FLEBZAPCH QTMHHTTP
      > > 706034.
      > > RPG status 00222 caused procedure ZHBGETINPU in program
      > > EBIZGENR/CGISRVPGM2 to
      > > stop.
      > > Functiefout opgetreden. RNX9001 niet voorzien door UUHBUPR bij
      > > programma-instructie 0006000500,
      > > systeeminstructie X'0000'.
      > > The call to ZHBGETINPU ended in error (C G D F).
      > >
      > > This program is running ok in the original Http server but not in
      > > Apache. Must i upgrade cgidev2 or is it another problem ?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Martin Verhoef

    • Mel Rothman
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
        The latest V5R2M0 PTF that supersedes SI05372 is SI11718.  It is included in cumulative PTF C4244520.

        The latest CGIDEV2 was released September 2004, more than 2 years after the version you are using.  See http://www-922.ibm.com/cgidev2o/upd200409.htm.  Upgrading might be a good idea but I can't predict whether that will fix the problem.

        Also, please make sure that the failing program is not reading the browser's input multiple times by calling any combination of getInput and zhbGetInput more than once.  That would cause the problem you are seeing.  It's possible that the original HTTP server ignored this error and the PBA server is not ignoring it.

        Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
        Mel Rothman, Inc.

        Verhoef wrote:

        I have checked the PTF numbers on our system and they are installed
        (ptf SI05372 is superseded by SI10831/SI10570), so this is not the
        solution.

        In the next weeks i'm going to test also on v5r3 Apache; i will let
        you know if this solves the problem. It's a strange problem because
        it appears only in 1 program. This program is not much different
        than the other programs.

        Do you suggest for this problem also an upgrade of cgidev2 ? I think
        our version is 2002-05-16 and release 2002-06-18 when i look at the
        data areas.

        Regards, Martin Verhoef

        --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, Mel Rothman <mel@r...> wrote:
        > Other people have mentioned the same problem (see Easy400Group
        message
        > 4576).
        >
        > I suspect that this is an IBM bug that occurs with the PBA server
        when
        > the content length exceeds 1500 bytes.  Apparently, the bug was
        found in
        > V5R2M0 and PTFs were prepared for V5R2M0 and V5R1M0.  I suspect
        the fix
        > was incorporated into V5R3M0 and therefore there is no PTF for
        that release.

        > Here are the PTF numbers and related information for users to try:
        >
        > V5R1M0: SI04965, see: http://makeashorterlink.com/?H6CF51D5A
        >
        > V5R2M0: SI05372, see http://makeashorterlink.com/?M2DF41D5A
        >
        > The APAR number is SE06257.  Here is the text, copied from the PTF:
        >
        > DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM FIXED FOR APAR
        SE06257 :

        >   APACHE server using the QzhbCgiParse API fails with a
        msgcpf3c17

        >   in the browser after doing a POST to a
        GCI

        >   program. It fails when the content length is more
        than

        >   1500
        bytes.

        > CORRECTION FOR APAR
        SE06257 :

        > -----------------------------

        >   Original server did not let the cgi run until stdin was all
        done

        >   being written. Powered by Apache server will start running
        the

        >   cgi program before all of the stdin data is
        written.

        >   QzhbCGIParse did not loop while reading stdin, so if the
        data

        >   was in multiple packets, it would not get all of it in one
        read

        >   and thus fail. This has been corrected to loop until all of
        the

        >   data is
        received.

        > CIRCUMVENTION FOR APAR
        SE06257 :

        > --------------------------------

        >   None.
        >
        > Please let the group know if this helps.
        >
        > Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
        > Mel Rothman, Inc.
        >
        > furnessmve wrote:
        >

        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I'm working for Furness Logistics in the Netherlands and we are
        > > using cgidev2 the last 4 years; we are very happy with it.
        > > We build web screens for our warehouse logistics activities like
        > > orders, stock positions, track and trace.
        > >
        > > In production we are running v5r2 with the (last) original Http
        > > server. I have also running the Apache server (v5r2) for testing.
        > > Most of the web/cgidev2 programs are running well in Apache; only
        > > one program generates this error:
        > > The requested heap space operation is invalid.
        > > The pointer parameter passed to free or realloc is not valid.
        > > QzhbCgiParse: Error: Can't read CONTENT_LENGTH bytes from stdin.
        > > Space offset X'00000000' or teraspace offset X'0000000000000000'
        is
        > > outside current limit for object FLEBZAPCH QTMHHTTP
        > > 706034.
        > > RPG status 00222 caused procedure ZHBGETINPU in program
        > > EBIZGENR/CGISRVPGM2 to
        > > stop.
        > > Functiefout opgetreden. RNX9001 niet voorzien door UUHBUPR bij
        > > programma-instructie 0006000500,
        > > systeeminstructie X'0000'.
        > > The call to ZHBGETINPU ended in error (C G D F).
        > >
        > > This program is running ok in the original Http server but not in
        > > Apache. Must i upgrade cgidev2 or is it another problem ?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Martin Verhoef

      • Martin Verhoef
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
          I have checked the program again; this is the situation:
          From a web page a form is submitted by a post method. Program A is
          called. In this program some variables from the html are retrieved
          with 'zhbgetvar'.
          Depending of the contents of a html variable program B or C is
          called. These programs have a *entry parm list. In these programs
          the html is loaded with 'gethtmlifs' and will write/display the
          result in the browser.
          So program A has no html output.
          This is the only functionality where we have a cgi program without a
          html output; but it doesn't work in Apache.
          I think this is not a strange way of programming.......?

        • Richard ECUYER
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
            i do the same thing often.
            The only things to be sure :
                Read only once stdin (twice works with GET)
                Write at least one '*fini' section

            Did you debug it ?
            You can debug the PGM in interactive with only disabled the stdin read.
            I have checked the program again; this is the situation:
            From a web page a form is submitted by a post method. Program A is

          • Mel Rothman
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
              The problem you reported is with input (QzhbCgiParse, called by ZhbGetInput), not output.  My suggestion was to be sure that no more than one input subprocedure (getInput or zhbGetInput) is called by A and (B or C), either explicitly or implicitly with Giovanni's included code (prolog1, prolog2, or prolog3).  This is because standard input can be read only once.  In other words, if A calls zhbGetInput and then B or C also calls it, the call from B or C will fail.

              Regarding the use of multiple programs, I generally don't program in this this way, it should work.

              I don't know whether it is required, but I would make sure that programs A, B, & C all run in the same activation group.  If they are all compiled with actgrp(*new), they are running in different activation groups.  Getting them to run in the same activation group can be accomplished by compiling all three in the same named activation group or by  compiling A with actgrp(*new) and B and C with actgrp(*caller).

              Other alternatives would be to compile B & C as modules, bind them into A, and use bound calls from A; or, build B & C into a service program, bind the service program to A, and make bound calls from A.

              If all three run in the same activation group, A could read the input (zhbGetInput for example) and A and (B or C) could get the variables they need with zhbGetVar, thus allowing the parameter list to be eliminated.  Also, A could read the externally described HTML (getHtmlIfs for example) and A and (B or C) could use WrtSection wherever needed.

              I assume that B or C returns to A which then returns to the server for output to be sent to the browser.

              Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
              Mel Rothman, Inc.

            • Martin Verhoef
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
                Ok, thanks !
                In program B (and C) prolog3/zhbGetInput is also used, so i have
                deleted it and now it's working ok in Apache.
                You have right regarding the original Http server ignored this error.

> [...]
                is
                > > > included in cumulative PTF C4244520.
                > > >
                > > > The latest CGIDEV2 was released September 2004, more than 2
                years
                > > after
                > > > the version you are using. See
                > > > http://www-922.ibm.com/cgidev2o/upd200409.htm. Upgrading
                might be
                > > > good idea but I can't predict whether that will fix the
                problem.

                > > > Also, please make sure that the failing program is not reading
                the
                > > > browser's input multiple times by calling any combination of
                > > getInput
                > > > and zhbGetInput more than once. That would cause the problem
                you
                > > are
                > > > seeing. It's possible that the original HTTP server ignored

                bytes.

                > > are
                > > like

                original
                > > Http
                > > testing.
                Apache;
                > > only
                > > stdin.
                > > X'0000000000000000'
                UUHBUPR
                > > bij

                > > not in

                subject=Unsubscribe>

              • Colm Field
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Mel,

                  Thanks for your help.

                  It turns out that the content length being > 1500 was our issue. We
                  solved it simply by reducing the HTML input variables' names and thus
                  reducing the content length of the query sent by the browser. This is
                  obviously just a work-around but until we can get the PTF installed
                  it should work fine.

                  As regards the XP / 2000 problem, I have no definite conclusions as
                  to the cause of the problem, but I suspect your theory was correct.

                  Thanks again,

                  Colm.

                • Mel Rothman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
                    Thanks for letting us know what the problem was and that you have solved it.  That is good news, indeed!

                    Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
                    Mel Rothman, Inc.

                    Martin Verhoef wrote:

                    Ok, thanks !
                    In program B (and C) prolog3/zhbGetInput is also used, so i have
                    deleted it and now it's working ok in Apache.
                    You have right regarding the original Http server ignored this error.

                    ... Mel Rothman removed copies of older messages here...
                  • Mel Rothman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Thanks for the feedback.  It's good to know that the problem has been identified, circumvented, and soon will be eliminated with the PTF.

                      Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
                      Mel Rothman, Inc.

                      Colm Field wrote:

                      Mel,

                      Thanks for your help.

                      It turns out that the content length being > 1500 was our issue. We
                      solved it simply by reducing the HTML input variables' names and thus
                      reducing the content length of the query sent by the browser. This is
                      obviously just a work-around but until we can get the PTF installed
                      it should work fine.

                      As regards the XP / 2000 problem, I have no definite conclusions as
                      to the cause of the problem, but I suspect your theory was correct.

                      Thanks again,

                      Colm.

                      ...Mel Rothman removed copies of old messges here...