How do I provide a hyperlink in CGI?

  • Ryoichi Roy Morita
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      I'm very, very new to CGI. I downloaded CGIDEV2 only last week and
      started playing with it.

      Sorry if this topic has been discussed before. I tried to search the
      forum but just could not find the right answer. So here goes:

      I created a vendor master (summary) display that displays the vendor #
      and name. There are 16 records on a screen. When users scrolls through
      the screens and find the right vendor, I want them to be able to click
      on the vendor number and view the detail information.

      So I think this involves calling another CGI program by passing a parm
      (vendor#) to it. How should I code the HTML to do this?

      Thank you in advance for your help.

      ________________________________
      Ryoichi "Roy" Morita
      Programmer
      Western Farm Service, Inc.
      Fresno, CA
    • dmay@gordontrucking.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004

        Vendor is the parameter going into a new CGIPGM which will then look up the vendor and create the new display with all the information.
        VEND is the html value collected from your HTML code

        Donna J May
        Programmer / Developer
        Gordon Trucking, Inc.
        151 Stewart Road SW
        Pacific, WA 98047

                         "Courage does not always roar.
        Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
                               "I will try again tomorrow"

        "Ryoichi Roy Morita" <rmorita@...>

        07/01/2004 09:55 AM

        Please respond to
        Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com

        Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Fax to
        Subject
        [Easy400Group] How do I provide a hyperlink in CGI?

        I'm very, very new to CGI. I downloaded CGIDEV2 only last week and
        started playing with it.

        Sorry if this topic has been discussed before. I tried to search the
        forum but just could not find the right answer. So here goes:

        I created a vendor master (summary) display that displays the vendor #
        and name. There are 16 records on a screen. When users scrolls through
        the screens and find the right vendor, I want them to be able to click
        on the vendor number and view the detail information.

        So I think this involves calling another CGI program by passing a parm
        (vendor#) to it. How should I code the HTML to do this?

        Thank you in advance for your help.

        ________________________________
        Ryoichi "Roy" Morita
        Programmer
        Western Farm Service, Inc.
        Fresno, CA

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Ryoichi Roy Morita
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
          Thank you, Donna, for your reply.

          IT WORKS !!

          Thanks a million. Now I'm in business. :-)

          ________________________________
          Ryoichi "Roy" Morita
          Programmer
          Western Farm Service, Inc.
          Fresno, CA
        • dmay@gordontrucking.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004

            You are very welcome.  Good luck.  CGI programming can be fun (as well as frustrating)!

            Donna J May
            Programmer / Developer
            Gordon Trucking, Inc.
            151 Stewart Road SW
            Pacific, WA 98047

                             "Courage does not always roar.
            Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
                                   "I will try again tomorrow"

            "Ryoichi Roy Morita" <rmorita@...>

            07/01/2004 11:50 AM

            Please respond to
            Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com

            Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
            cc
            Fax to
            Subject
            [Easy400Group] Re: How do I provide a hyperlink in CGI?

            Thank you, Donna, for your reply.

            IT WORKS !!

            Thanks a million. Now I'm in business. :-)

            ________________________________
            Ryoichi "Roy" Morita
            Programmer
            Western Farm Service, Inc.
            Fresno, CA

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            click here

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Mike Haston ** Data
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
              Added note, just in case you run into it ... if you are sending more than one parm you need to use "\&" to split the other parms.  Like the example below.  First parm preceded with "?"  ... after that it is "\&"

              href="showcat.htm?id=latest\&categoryid=:::catid:::\&countid=:::countid:::">

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2004
                I have to correct myself here. I ran into this today and realized
                that you need to use \& to separate the parms when you are using
                SSI, not when you are passing the parms in a link.

                Hope I didn't add to the confusion.

                --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Haston ** Data"