check if a browser window is already open

  • bwallison123
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      We have made a HTML Menu system for our CGI programs. Basically when
      a user selects a program to run then it opens a browser window and
      assigns the window name to be the same as the program name ie CTR100W.

      The problem is that if a user selects ro run a program that is
      already open then the orginal program gets replaced by the new.

      That is basically what I want to occur because I want it so that only
      1 copy of the program can be running for the user (i just want it so
      that the orginal isn't replaced and that the new one is not opened at
      all). Hence what I really want to do is have a check in the menu
      system that checks if a window of that name is already open and if so
      not re-open it and display a message.

      I already know about "opener" and stuff like "reWin = Window.open"
      but this is not good enough because it might not have been the menu
      system that opened the program. also they may have opened multiple
      different programs from the menu system so reWin is no longer
      applicable unless I have a huge amount of unique reWin variables for
      each potential window open.

      I need something like Val = chkwin('CTR100W'); which will return 'Y'
      if a browser window with the name CTR100W is already open.

      Does anyone know how to do this or even if its possible?

      Thanks

      Brock