Not authorized to object. Object is *N.

  • greg.krueger
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2013
      I am calling program MMAIL/EMLSPL to convert a spool file to PDF and
      email it. I works great in most cases except when a user without
      *ALLOBJ needs to send a spool file created by a user with *ALLOBJ
      authority. The message "Not authorized to object. Object is *N." is
      found in the job log as seen below.

      Object XXXBNDR in library QTEMP not found.
      Data area XXXBNDR created in library QTEMP.
      Writer MMAIL already started.
      Directory created.
      Directory created.
      File R56103D number 4 not released.
      Not authorized to object. Object is *N.

      Does anyone have a idea of how to get by this?
    • Giovanni B. Perotti
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2013

        Not an MMAIL problem, just a security matter.

        GRTOBJAUT outq_name *OUTQ *PUBLIC *CHANGE

        CHGOUTQ  OUTQ(outq_name) AUTCHK(*DTAAUT)

        Giovanni

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013
          I made the suggested changes and still get the same result.

          Greg

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013

            MMAIL commands referring to a spool file generated by a  job that has ended may fail in retrieving such a spool file.

            Possible reasons are:

            1-The user profile of the job issuing the MMAIL command has no authority on the output queue containing the desired spool file

            2-The output queue containing the desired spool file specifies AUTCHK(*OWNER) instead of AUTCHK(*DTAAUT)

            3-The desired spool file was detached from the ended job. This case occurs when

              - system value QSPLFACN specifies *DETACH, or

              - the user profile generating the spool file is related to a job description specifying QSPLFACN(*DETACH)

              - the job generating the spool file specifies QSPLFACN(*DETACH)

               In this case, spool files generated by an ended job can no longer be retrieved by specifying the qualified job name of their generating job.

            Giovanni B. Perotti

            www.easy400.net - Free WEB utilities for IBM System i

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013
              1-The outq authorization for *PUBLIC is *CHANGE with no exclusions.
              2-The outq AUTCHK is *DTAAUT.
              3-System value QSPLFACN is *KEEP
              Job Description for user creating spool file QSPLFACN is *SYSVAL
              Job generating spool file QSPLFACN is *KEEP

              Using my profile with *ALLOBJ, I have no problem converting and sending the same spool file.

            • Kevin Bucknum
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013
                Does the user without *ALLOBJ have *SPLCTL?

                Kevin B

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013
                  The user does not have *SPLCTL, but I added and tried again with the same result.

                  Greg

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013

                    If so, from the job supposed to issue command MMAIL/EMLSPL, use command DSPLSTMF to display the desired spool file and let us have your result.

                    Giovanni

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013

                      Correction.

                      Use command DSPSPLF from the MMAIL failing job.

                      Also:

                      1-      Run command MMAIL/RELEASED and report the MMAIL release date

                      2-      Run command MMAIL/CVTTOPDF and report your selected PDF conversion tool.

                      Giovanni

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013
                        I'm not familiar with command DSPLSTMF. What information are you looking for?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013

                          According to easy400.net records, you are running a 5 years old version of MMAIL (dated year 2008).

                          Please install the latest MMAIL version and try it.

                          Giovanni

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 11, 2013
                            I have installed the latest MMAIL version but I'm still getting the same result.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 12, 2013

                              Then you have a system security problem which stays outside of MMAIL.

                              May I again suggest you the following:

                              -          Sign on with that user profile

                              -          Use command DSPSPLF to display that spool file

                              Does it work?

                              If it does, enter command MMAIL/CVTSPLFPDF or MMAIL/CVTSPLSTMF to convert that spool file to PDF.

                              Do they work?

                              Giovanni