Faxing capabilities through CGIDEV2?

  • newtocgi
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 1:04 PM
      I was wondering if anybody succeeded in faxing documents through CGIDEV2? I have purchase orders saved in PDF formats are sent either by email or by manual fax. I didn't find any solution to do directly through ISERIES.

      Thanks.
    • Bob P. Roche
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 1:17 PM
        CGIDEV2 is a wrapper for IBM API's to write to a browser. IT has no inherit fax capability. The iSeries does have fax option if pay for the fax programs and have the correct hardware. A program using the CGIDEV2 service program can also use IBM fax option. Just like you can use SNDDST thru QCMDEXC to send your emails. We send a lot of faxes, emails, and we use CGIDEV2 but one has nothing to do with the other. FAX400 is one option. I've never sent a PDF using it. I normally fax standard reports, and use a 3rd party email program to email those as PDF's. The email program handles the conversion for me.

        From:"newtocgi" <rctauro@...>
        To:Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
        Date:04/01/2011 03:04 PM
        Subject:[Easy400Group] Faxing capabilities through CGIDEV2?
        Sent by:Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com

        I was wondering if anybody succeeded in faxing documents through CGIDEV2? I have purchase orders saved in PDF formats are sent either by email or by manual fax. I didn't find any solution to do directly through ISERIES.

        Thanks.

      • Kevin Bucknum
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 1:54 PM
          We generate PDF's out of some of our applications, and for faxing we point clients to some of the commercial fax service providers.Generally the way we do it is pick a provider that offers a print driver replacement, so that when they print the pdf out of our application, it pops up a box and sends the fax. However I do know that several of the services out there also accept input via email. Perhaps you can do something with MMAIL to send the faxes.

          http://www.faxcompare.com is the list we point our clients to.

          Kevin Bucknum

          From:"newtocgi" <rctauro@...>
          To:Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
          Date:04/01/2011 03:04 PM
          Sent by:Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com

          I was wondering if anybody succeeded in faxing documents through CGIDEV2? I have purchase orders saved in PDF formats are sent either by email or by manual fax. I didn't find any solution to do directly through ISERIES.

          Thanks.

        • HarryWilliams
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2 8:36 PM
            I think my grandmother told me about faxing.   Faxing information is a monochromatic Tiff.  Convert it to Tiff, then you could send it out the IBM modem, that all of us used to get.  Get win fax for the PC and send it though your PC, and a stand along PC server, that just prints.   Then WinFax can do it with Client Access.  Do they call it that anymore?

            On 4/1/2011 3:04 PM, newtocgi wrote:

            I was wondering if anybody succeeded in faxing documents through CGIDEV2? I have purchase orders saved in PDF formats are sent either by email or by manual fax. I didn't find any solution to do directly through ISERIES.

            Thanks.

          • richardschoen
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3 6:12 AM
              There are several email based fax products such as EFax today.

              We also offer a faxing solution that can work in conjunction with CGIDEV2 using CL commands.

              http://www.rjssoftware.com/Products/Catalog/Enterprise-Fax-Solution/

              Regards,
              Richard Schoen
              RJS Software Systems Inc.
              Where Information Meets Innovation
              Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
              Email: richard@...
              Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
              Tel: (952) 736-5800
              Fax: (952) 736-5801