ODF - New from Easy400

  • jbperotti
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1 5:39 PM
      ODF (Object distribution Facility) is the name of the new free open source utility from Easy400 ( www.easy400.net ).

      This tool is for maintaining multiple IBM System i's.

      It allows a System i to distribute objects to a number of other IBM System i's.
      Objects can be distributed up to 50 remote systems.
      Object distribution is performed through a single command and is carried out from a batch job.
      Object transmission and installation is performed via FTP.

      Read about it at page http://www.easy400.net/odf/html/page1.htm .

      Giovanni B. Perotti
    • smit_al
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2 6:30 AM
        I received an error on the install of OFD, module XXXCRTUS didn't compile. It was attempting to /copy members from library PLCHECKUP. I changed the copies to library ODF and it compiled correctly.

        Look forward to trying this new product. Keep up the good work!

        --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "jbperotti" <gb_perotti@...> wrote:

        > ODF (Object distribution Facility) is the name of the new free open
        > source utility from Easy400 ( www.easy400.net ).
        >
        > This tool is for maintaining multiple IBM System i's.
        >
        > It allows a System i to distribute objects to a number of other IBM
        > System i's.
        > Objects can be distributed up to 50 remote systems.
        > Object distribution is performed through a single command and is carried
        > out from a batch job.
        > Object transmission and installation is performed via FTP.
        >
        > Read about it at page http://www.easy400.net/odf/html/page1.htm .
        >
        > Giovanni B. Perotti

      • Giovanni B. Perotti
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2 8:03 AM
          Ooooooops.....!
          Fixed,
          Thank you!

          Giovanni

        • ms@hhm.co.il
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3 5:44 AM

            Giovanni hi,

            I tried the new application and it works all right.

            HOWEVER, what I'm missing is the possibility to transfer objects to an address that is different from the original address.

            For example if I want to transfer object A from library B to another partition in library C, I can't do it with the ODF application.

            Is there any plan for improvements in the future?

            TIA.

            Regards,

            Moti Seif

            Tel. (Work)    : 972-3-5313919

            Tel. (Cellular) : 972-52-3510592

            E-Mail            : ms@...

            This message was enriched by Impactia Technologies Ltd.    www.impactia.com
            Please do not enrich emails sent to me.
          • Giovanni B. Perotti
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 3 7:20 AM
              Moti,

              you should use command ODSYS to predefine the target IP address(es) that you will be using.
              Isn't that enough?
              Should you run FTP manually, wouldn't you connect to an IP address?

              Giovanni

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4 7:51 AM

                Giovanni hi,

                I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain it as well as I should have.

                The problem isn't about the target's IP address.
                The problem lies in trying to transfer  an object from a library in one partition to a different library in another partition.

                For example:
                I have an object named KLXCUSA in a library named MOTITST in the Production partition.
                I want to be able to transfer it to the Development partition to a library named MOTITSTGEN.

                As I understand the ODF application, I can transfer the object only to the MOTITST library.
                Am I right ?

                Is my question clearer now ?

                Moti.

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4 9:16 AM
                  You are correct.

                  ODF transfers objects to the same "domain" where they originally belong.

                  Giovanni
                  I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain it as well as I should have.

                  The problem isn't about the target's IP address.
                  The problem lies in trying to transfer  an object from a library in one partition to a different library in another partition.

                  For example:
                  I have an object named KLXCUSA in a library named MOTITST in the Production partition.
                  I want to be able to transfer it to the Development partition to a library named MOTITSTGEN.

                  As I understand the ODF application, I can transfer the object only to the MOTITST library.
                  Am I right ?

                  Is my question clearer now ?

                  Moti.

                  --- In Easy400Group@ yahoogroups. com, "Giovanni B. Perotti" <gb_perotti@. ..> wrote:

                  > Moti,
                  >
                  > you should use command ODSYS to predefine the target IP address(es) that you will be using.
                  > Isn't that enough?
                  > Should you run FTP manually, wouldn't you connect to an IP address?
                  >
                  > Giovanni

                • vanderetto
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 6 7:45 AM
                    Hi,

                    Would it be possible for this utility to retain both the member type and text after the transfer to the target system?

                    Regards,
                    vanderetto

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 6 9:09 AM
                      Of course that  could be done by adding some extra coding.

                      What would be the real business need/advantage in your case?

                      Giovanni
                      Would it be possible for this utility to retain both the member type and text after the transfer to the target system?

                      Regards,
                      vanderetto

                      --- In Easy400Group@ yahoogroups. com, "Giovanni B. Perotti" <gb_perotti@ ...> wrote:

                      > You are correct.
                      >
                      > ODF transfers objects to the same "domain" where they originally belong.
                      >
                      > Giovanni

                    • Antoon van Os
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 6 9:18 AM
                        Vanderetto,
                        I have not used this tool ( yet ) but I understand it uses FTP.
                        If you FTP a data or source file member directly you loose both member type
                        and description because FTP only sends data.
                        If you save it in a SAVF and distribute that AVF then the object
                        with the data is sent so everything is preserved but then the receiver
                        must be able to restore it which is not possible if it is another system
                        than an iSeries
                        Hth,
                        Antoon

                        To: Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
                        From: bob.baird@...
                        Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:45:17 +0000

                        Hi,

                        Would it be possible for this utility to retain both the member type and text after the transfer to the target system?

                        Regards,
                        vanderetto

                        --- In Easy400Group@ yahoogroups. com, "Giovanni B. Perotti" <gb_perotti@ ...> wrote:

                        > You are correct.
                        >
                        > ODF transfers objects to the same "domain" where they originally belong.
                        >
                        > Giovanni

                        Lentekriebels? Speel samen met je vrienden de spelletjes die Windows Live je aanbiedt!
                      • jbperotti
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 6 10:32 AM
                          Vanderetto,

                          your request for ODF to transfer member SEU type and text to the target system has just been implemented and made available a few minutes ago in the current ODF release available from the Easy400 site.

                          Thanks for the suggestion.

                          Giovanni

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 11 1:19 AM
                            Hi Giovanni,

                            Thanks for that - it will save me quite a bit of time based on the number of members I move from our development machine to our live system.

                            Very much appreciated.

                            Regards,
                            VanDeretto

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 11 2:23 AM
                              Hi Giovanni,

                              I've just downloaded the most recent version of ODF (7th Nov @ 09:23:44 according to ODF/RELEASED command) and tried moving a RPGLE source member via the ODSTR cmd, but it's still not retaining the member type and text after transfer.

                              Any ideas?

                              I'm using V5R3.

                              Regards,
                              VanDeretto

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 11 2:49 AM
                                Hi Antoon,

                                Thanks for your input.

                                The target system (in my case) is another iSeries, so the member text/type could be preserved (I would think).

                                Regards,
                                VanDeretto

                                --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, Antoon van Os <Antoon.van.Os@...> wrote:

                                > Vanderetto,
                                >
                                > I have not used this tool ( yet ) but I understand it uses FTP.
                                >
                                > If you FTP a data or source file member directly you loose both member type
                                >
                                > and description because FTP only sends data.
                                >
                                > If you save it in a SAVF and distribute that AVF then the object
                                >
                                > with the data is sent so everything is preserved but then the receiver
                                >
                                > must be able to restore it which is not possible if it is another system
                                >
                                > than an iSeries
                                > Hth,
                                >
                                > Antoon
                                >

                                > To: Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com
                                > From: bob.baird@...
                                > Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:45:17 +0000
                                > Subject: [Easy400Group] Re: ODF - New from Easy400
                                >

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > Would it be possible for this utility to retain both the member type and text after the transfer to the target system?
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > vanderetto
                                >
                                > --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanni B. Perotti" <gb_perotti@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > You are correct.
                                > >
                                > > ODF transfers objects to the same "domain" where they originally belong.
                                > >
                                > > Giovanni

                              • Giovanni B. Perotti
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 11 2:54 AM
                                  Vanderetto,

                                  I ran several tests and they were all successful.
                                  The following is the last one I did.

                                  1) I wanted to transmit member TEST from ODF/WHATSNEW :
                                  Opt  Member      Type        Text
                                  _   ODF         TXT
                                  _   TEST        TXT         Some text

                                   2)I used the folowing command:
                                  ODSTR SYSTEMS(SYSTEM2) LIBOBJ((WHATSNEW *FILE ODF (TEST)))

                                  3)This is the FTP log:
                                  Output redirected to a file.
                                  Input read from specified override file.
                                  Connecting to remote host 80.16.163.18 using port 21.
                                  220-QTCP at 192.168.0.7.
                                  220 Connection will close if idle more than 35791394 minutes.
                                  Enter login ID (giovanni):
                                  331 Enter password.
                                  230 QPGMR logged on.
                                   OS/400 is the remote operating system. The TCP/IP version is "V5R4M0".
                                  250  Now using naming format "1".
                                  257  "/HOME/QPGMR" is current directory.
                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.

                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.
                                  > namefmt
                                  1
                                  250  Now using naming format "1".
                                  Server NAMEFMT is 1.
                                  Client NAMEFMT is 1.
                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.
                                  > lcd
                                  /QSYS.LIB/ODF.LIB
                                  Local working directory is /QSYS.LIB/ODF.LIB
                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.
                                  > cd
                                  /QSYS.LIB/ODF.LIB
                                  250 "/QSYS.LIB/ODF.LIB" is current library.
                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.
                                  > put
                                  WHATSNEW.file/TEST.mbr
                                  250  Now using naming format "1".
                                  257 "/QSYS.LIB/ODF.LIB" is current library.
                                  227 Entering Passive Mode (80,16,163,18,86,55)
                                  150 Sending file to member TEST in file WHATSNEW in library ODF.
                                  226 File transfer completed successfully.
                                      12 bytes transferred in 0.074 seconds. Transfer rate 0.162 KB/sec.
                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.
                                  > quote rcmd CHGPFM ODF/WHATSNEW TEST SRCTYPE(TXT) TEXT('Some
                                  text')
                                  250 Command CHGPFM ODF/WHATSNEW TEST SRCTYPE(TXT) TEXT('Some text') successful.
                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.

                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.

                                  Enter an FTP subcommand.

                                  quit
                                  221 QUIT subcommand received.
                                  JUST PERFECT!

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 11 3:28 AM
                                    Hi Giovanni,

                                    I've tried again and notice that the remote ftp command is rejecting with a 550 error, which will explain why the source member on the target system isn't getting updated.

                                    I'll investigate why I'm getting this error.

                                    Thanks for your help.

                                    Regards,
                                    VanDeretto

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 11 3:51 AM
                                      Hi Giovanni,

                                      I discovered that I hadn't configured my SECTCP settings on the target system to allow the user to execute CL commands!!

                                      All working fine now - thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

                                      Regards,
                                      VanDeretto

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 11 4:25 AM
                                        Hello Vanderetto!

                                        I'm glad that you got both the shield (SECTCP) and the rifle (ODF) from the Easy400 site.
                                        They can work toghether.

                                      • Leif Guldbrand
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 11 4:42 AM
                                          VanDeretto,

                                          Are you sure your Remote Execution (REXEC) server is running on the
                                          receiving System i ???

                                          "Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) application that
                                          allows a client user to submit system commands to a remote server system"

                                          Leif

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 11 4:49 AM
                                            Hi Leif,

                                            I've got it working now - thanks.

                                            I hadn't configured another Easy400 utility (SECTCP) to allow CL commands to be executed on the target system, so the remote command was (correctly) being rejected.

                                            Thanks for your reply.

                                            Regards,
                                            Vanderetto

                                            --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Leif Guldbrand" <Guldbrand@...> wrote:

                                            > VanDeretto,
                                            >
                                            > Are you sure your Remote Execution (REXEC) server is running on the
                                            > receiving System i ???
                                            >
                                            > "Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) application that
                                            > allows a client user to submit system commands to a remote server system"
                                            >
                                            > Leif

                                          • moti.seif
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 12 8:10 AM
                                              OK.
                                              This was understood.
                                              Is there any chance of improving (if that's the right word) the
                                              application so as to be able to transfer objects into other "domains" as
                                              well ?

                                              TIA.

                                              ------

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 12 8:26 AM
                                                Moti,

                                                for the time being that will not be implemented.

                                                Giovanni

                                                ------