zhbGetVar not returning value in hidden field

  • penguined
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
      I am working on some code that works on several other CGI web sites
      that does not seem to return any value when the following statement
      is executed:

      Eval StepIn = #Upper(zhbGetVar('step'))

      Below is a "view source" of the web page just after the debug
      statement passed over it:

      <!-- Hidden Fields #################################################--

      <input type="hidden" name="client" value="CLIENTNAME">
      <input type="hidden" name="fy" value="08">
      <input type="hidden" name="pgmid" value="**Missing Data**">
      <input type="hidden" name="docid" value="BNAST">
      <input type="hidden" name="docnbr" value="">
      <input type="hidden" name="step" value="2">
      <input type="hidden" name="lang" value="">

      When I view StepIn it is blank. Is there something else I am doing
      wrong? Is there a way I can query or look at the HTML that the
      zhbGetVar is reading?
    • Shane Bumgarner

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
          My apologies for not being so savvy about these things. After
          researchign the code, the only zhgGetInput I can find is this:

          Eval NbrVars =zhbGetInput (SavedQueryStr:qusec)

          That code come IMMEDIATELY before the zhbGetVar statements that are
          retrieving the hidden values. Funny thing is that some of those
          hidden values are getting "retrieved" by zhbGetVar.

          Something that seems suspicious to me that I have been playing with
          is this next few lines of code:

          * #WrtWebInit Must be Done Before ANY WrtStOut, or Netscape won't
          work
          ExSr $CloseHTML
          Eval HTTPHeaderDft = HTTPHeaderDft1 + NL + HTTPHeaderDft2 +
          NL + HTTPHeaderDft3 + NL + HTTPHeaderDft4 +
          NL + NL
          CallP #WrtWebInit(HTTPHeaderDft)
          ExSr $OpenHTML

          Once again, I'm not sure exactly what this is supposed to be doing.
          However, we have another web app (that I copied) that is working
          perfectly. I wonder if the OpenHTML and CloseHTML (more particularly
          the CloseHTML) are what is causing my problem? This line of code is
          currently in a section that is executed whever the HTML, HEAD and
          BODY tags are created (what the program refers to as headings). It
          does that immediately before it attempts to create the DOCTYPE and
          HTML "header" tags. Oh, here are the OpenHTML & CloseHTML routines:

          $OpenHTML BegSR
          CallP GetHTML('QHTMLSRC':'*LIBL':
          'SALARYMEMO' : '<as400>')
          EndSR

          $CloseHTML BegSR
          CallP WrtSection('*fini')
          EndSR

          --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Bumgarner" <shaneb@...>

          #################################################--

          > <input type="hidden" name="client" value="CLIENTNAME">
          > <input type="hidden" name="fy" value="08">
          > <input type="hidden" name="pgmid" value="**Missing Data**">
          > <input type="hidden" name="docid" value="BNAST">
          > <input type="hidden" name="docnbr" value="">
          > <input type="hidden" name="step" value="2">
          > <input type="hidden" name="lang" value="">
          >
          > When I view StepIn it is blank. Is there something else I am doing
          > wrong? Is there a way I can query or look at the HTML that the
          > zhbGetVar is reading?

        • Shane Bumgarner
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
            zhbgetinput should be called before attempting to retrieve any variables so you're ok there.
            It is perfectly normal to retrieve hidden field values using zhbgetvar.
            The openhtml subroutine is just loading the html skeleton into memory and passsing <AS400> as the section delimiter.
            The closehtml subroutine calls wrtsection('*fini') which clears out the html buffers. It's generally the last thing I do in my web programs.
            I don't see anything out of the ordinary here, perhaps you could provide more code?
            Shane

            >>> rkanemeier@... 8/1/2007 10:24 AM >>>

            wrote:

            > Maybe a simple question, did you actually read the input with
            zhbgetinput?

            > I am working on some code that works on several other CGI web sites
            > that does not seem to return any value when the following statement
            > is executed:
            >
            > Eval StepIn = #Upper(zhbGetVar( 'step'))
            >
            > Below is a "view source" of the web page just after the debug
            > statement passed over it:
            >
            > <!-- Hidden Fields
            ############ ######### ######### ######### ######### #--

            > <input type="hidden" name="client" value="CLIENTNAME" >
            > <input type="hidden" name="fy" value="08">
            > <input type="hidden" name="pgmid" value="**Missing Data**">
            > <input type="hidden" name="docid" value="BNAST" >
            > <input type="hidden" name="docnbr" value="">
            > <input type="hidden" name="step" value="2">
            > <input type="hidden" name="lang" value="">
            >
            > When I view StepIn it is blank. Is there something else I am doing
            > wrong? Is there a way I can query or look at the HTML that the
            > zhbGetVar is reading?

          • Jon Paris
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
               >> Eval StepIn = #Upper(zhbGetVar( 'step'))
              The only unusual thing I can see in your code is the use of #Upper - that is not a CGIDEV2 routine - the CGIDEV2 case conversion routine is UPPIFY.  Are you sure that this one can handle numbers - or maybe it does something else a little odd.  It seems to me that if you cloned a program without really knowing how it worked it is possible you have cloned an inappropriate function call.

              Jon Paris
              Partner400

              www.Partner400.com

            • penguined
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                Woah, wait. If CloseHTML is clearing out the HTML buffers, then that
                means I MUST do all my zhbGetVar's prior to doing that, right?

                wrote:

                > zhbgetinput should be called before attempting to retrieve any
                variables so you're ok there.
                > It is perfectly normal to retrieve hidden field values using
                zhbgetvar.
                > The openhtml subroutine is just loading the html skeleton into memory
                and passsing <AS400> as the section delimiter.
                > The closehtml subroutine calls wrtsection('*fini') which clears out
                the html buffers. It's generally the last thing I do in my web
                programs.
                > I don't see anything out of the ordinary here, perhaps you could
                provide more code?
                > Shane

              • penguined
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                  I just discovered that this is NOT the problem. I moved that
                  closehtml subr after the section of code that is performing the
                  zhbGetVar.

                  --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "penguined" <rkanemeier@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Woah, wait. If CloseHTML is clearing out the HTML buffers, then
                  that
                  > means I MUST do all my zhbGetVar's prior to doing that, right?
                  >
                  > --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Bumgarner" <shaneb@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > zhbgetinput should be called before attempting to retrieve any
                  > variables so you're ok there.
                  > > It is perfectly normal to retrieve hidden field values using
                  > zhbgetvar.
                  > > The openhtml subroutine is just loading the html skeleton into
                  memory
                  > and passsing <AS400> as the section delimiter.
                  > > The closehtml subroutine calls wrtsection('*fini') which clears
                  out
                  > the html buffers. It's generally the last thing I do in my web
                  > programs.
                  > > I don't see anything out of the ordinary here, perhaps you could
                  > provide more code?
                  > > Shane

                • Heather Howell
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                    are you also bringing in query string data as well as the hidden variables?  We had problems when trying to do this and ultimately what we had to do was change the data we were trying to pass through the query string to a hidden variable as well.

                    We were never able to retrieve data from both the query string AND hidden variables in the same program.   Just curious if this is the same thing happening to you.

                    Shane Bumgarner <shaneb@...> wrote:
                    zhbgetinput should be called before attempting to retrieve any variables so you're ok there.
                    It is perfectly normal to retrieve hidden field values using zhbgetvar.
                    The openhtml subroutine is just loading the html skeleton into memory and passsing as the section delimiter.

                    wrote:

                    > Maybe a simple question, did you actually read the input with
                    zhbgetinput?

                    > I am working on some code that works on several other CGI web sites
                    > that does not seem to return any value when the following statement
                    > is executed:
                    >
                    > Eval StepIn = #Upper(zhbGetVar('step'))
                    >
                    > Below is a "view source" of the web page just after the debug
                    > statement passed over it:

                  • penguined
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                      For this program, we are only reading hidden variables. I guess what
                      bothers me is what is causing there to be "nothing" returned when we
                      clearly are doing a zhbGetInput and immediately thereafter a zhbGetVar
                      (on hidden variables).

                      --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, Heather Howell

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                        >> zhbGetVar (on hidden variables).

                        But you are getting the values form some of them which is why I suspected
                        the #upper routine.

                        Change that to simply retrieve the value (i.e. without using #upper) and see
                        if it still returns a blank. If you are using the POST method you could
                        also temporarily change to using GET and check the URL you are seeing to
                        ensure the value is there.

                        Jon Paris
                        Partner400

                        www.Partner400.com
                      • penguined
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                          At this point, I am not able to retrieve any values using zhbGetVar.
                          I will try removing the #UPPER.

                          --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@...>
                          wrote:

                          > >> zhbGetVar (on hidden variables).
                          >
                          > But you are getting the values form some of them which is why I
                          suspected
                          > the #upper routine.
                          >
                          > Change that to simply retrieve the value (i.e. without using
                          #upper) and see
                          > if it still returns a blank. If you are using the POST method you
                          could
                          > also temporarily change to using GET and check the URL you are
                          seeing to
                          > ensure the value is there.
                          >
                          > Jon Paris
                          > Partner400
                          >
                          > www.Partner400.com

                        • penguined
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                            Removed #UPPER from the zhbGetVar and still no dice. Someone
                            mentioned a POST method. I'm hoping this is what you mean (copy and
                            paste of actual HTML):

                            <form name="signon" id="signon"
                            action="/LIB/PGM" method="Post">
                            <yada yada yada html>
                            <input type="submit" value=" SIGN ON ">

                            I copied that segment of HTML almost verbatim from the other HTML/PGM
                            that is working. The parts that are not verbatim are just words and
                            HTML tags that format things differently.

                            wrote:

                            > >> zhbGetVar (on hidden variables).
                            >
                            > But you are getting the values form some of them which is why I
                            suspected
                            > the #upper routine.
                            >
                            > Change that to simply retrieve the value (i.e. without using
                            #upper) and see
                            > if it still returns a blank. If you are using the POST method you
                            could
                            > also temporarily change to using GET and check the URL you are
                            seeing to
                            > ensure the value is there.
                            >
                            > Jon Paris
                            > Partner400
                            >
                            > www.Partner400.com

                          • Giovanni B. Perotti
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                              How about the missing </form> ?

                              Giovanni

                              wrote:

                              > >> zhbGetVar (on hidden variables).
                              >
                              > But you are getting the values form some of them which is why I
                              suspected
                              > the #upper routine.
                              >
                              > Change that to simply retrieve the value (i.e. without using
                              #upper) and see
                              > if it still returns a blank. If you are using the POST method you
                              could
                              > also temporarily change to using GET and check the URL you are
                              seeing to
                              > ensure the value is there.
                              >
                              > Jon Paris
                              > Partner400
                              >
                              > www.Partner400. com

                            • penguined
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                                ahh, sorry. /form was there. i just didn't put it on the response.

                                so it more or less looks like this:

                                <form name="signon" id="signon"
                                action="/LIB/PGM" method="Post">
                                <yada yada yada html that defines a login screen>
                                <input type="submit" value=" SIGN ON ">
                                </form>

                                --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanni B. Perotti"
                                <gb_perotti@...> wrote:

                                > How about the missing </form> ?
                                >
                                > Giovanni

                              • Shane Bumgarner
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                                  I think at this point I would start looking very carefully at your html, make sure everything has a closing tag that's supposed to, etc. This can cause problems like this sometimes...

                                  >>> rkanemeier@... 8/1/2007 4:15:01 PM >>>

                                  <gb_perotti@ ...> wrote:

                                  > How about the missing </form> ?
                                  >
                                  > Giovanni

                                • penguined
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 1, 2007
                                    Appearantly, you MUST have hidden fields just after the initial post
                                    method definition. I had a few tags between the post definition and
                                    the hidden fields definition. Thank you for all your help!!!!!!

                                    #################################################--

                                    > <input type="hidden" name="client" value="CLIENTNAME">
                                    > <input type="hidden" name="fy" value="08">
                                    > <input type="hidden" name="pgmid" value="**Missing Data**">
                                    > <input type="hidden" name="docid" value="BNAST">
                                    > <input type="hidden" name="docnbr" value="">
                                    > <input type="hidden" name="step" value="2">
                                    > <input type="hidden" name="lang" value="">
                                    >
                                    > When I view StepIn it is blank. Is there something else I am doing
                                    > wrong? Is there a way I can query or look at the HTML that the
                                    > zhbGetVar is reading?

                                  • penguined
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                      I've read through the help file listed in one of the responses.

                                      At this point I do not think I'm any closer to resolving this issue.

                                      I'm following almost line by line from another program. I'm ensuring
                                      that GetHTML is only executing once and WrtSection(*fini) is only
                                      executing once. I GetHTML before i zhbUpdVar as I can see the values
                                      in the program. I'm ensuring that the HTML that I specify on the
                                      GetHTML is the correct member, file, library, and has teh correct
                                      section tag id. I have a signon page that executes first, based off
                                      a "step" and it shows up just fine. db files were read and variables
                                      were updated from the db files into the HTML. the last thing the
                                      program does is close out the html using the WrtSection fini thing.
                                      I'm not sure what else to do from here.

                                      Any other suggestions?

                                      Is there a way I can see the HTML that is being generated when a
                                      WrtSection occurs?

                                      #################################################--

                                      > <input type="hidden" name="client" value="CLIENTNAME">
                                      > <input type="hidden" name="fy" value="08">
                                      > <input type="hidden" name="pgmid" value="**Missing Data**">
                                      > <input type="hidden" name="docid" value="BNAST">
                                      > <input type="hidden" name="docnbr" value="">
                                      > <input type="hidden" name="step" value="2">
                                      > <input type="hidden" name="lang" value="">
                                      >
                                      > When I view StepIn it is blank. Is there something else I am doing
                                      > wrong? Is there a way I can query or look at the HTML that the
                                      > zhbGetVar is reading?

                                    • Hunt, Don
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007

                                        Hi,

                                        I have watched this thread for a couple of days. Maybe I can be of some help. It is possible to run a CGIDEV2 RPG program interactively from a green screen command line. You can set debug breakpoints and watch your code process. Of course, you need to be careful of updates, cookies, etc. I have also broken up CGIDEV2 RPG code into chunks and run them interactively with debug breakpoints. You need to avoid the API's CGIDEV2 uses in this mode as well.

                                        At the other end of the process you can view the source in a note pad session. You probably already know this... From the menu bar of your browser, drop down the View option, then take the Source selection. This will let you view your HTML and see what you really made:-)

                                        Don

                                        Don Hunt
                                        Systems Analyst/Programmer III
                                        Information Technology Division
                                        City of Redding
                                        777 Cypress Avenue
                                        Redding, CA  96001

                                        wrote:

                                        > I am working
                                        on some code that works on several other CGI web sites
                                        > that does not
                                        seem to return any value when the following statement
                                        > is
                                        executed:

                                        > Eval StepIn = #Upper(zhbGetVar( 'step'))
                                        >
                                        > Below is a "view source" of the web page just after the debug

                                        statement passed over it:

                                        > <!-- Hidden Fields
                                        ############ ######### ######### ######### ######### #--

                                        > <input type="hidden" name="client"
                                        value="CLIENTNAME" >
                                        > <input type="hidden" name="fy"
                                        value="08">
                                        > <input type="hidden" name="pgmid" value="**Missing
                                        Data**">
                                        > <input type="hidden" name="docid"
                                        value="BNAST" >
                                        > <input type="hidden" name="docnbr"
                                        value="">
                                        > <input type="hidden" name="step" value="2">

                                        <input type="hidden" name="lang" value="">

                                        > When I view
                                        StepIn it is blank. Is there something else I am doing
                                        > wrong? Is there
                                        a way I can query or look at the HTML that the
                                        > zhbGetVar is
                                        reading?

                                      • penguined
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                          Thanks for your response. I can actually get the program into debug
                                          as the http server is processing it. Which is why I am able to
                                          determine that the program variables are definately "attempting" to
                                          being loading into the HTML file via updHTMLvar. I can see on the
                                          resulting page that I am getting "missing values" and the html source
                                          is definately reflecting as such. The funny thing is, the hidden
                                          variables are getting updated (which was my original problem in
                                          another thread). So how can my hidden variables get updated and not
                                          my page variables?

                                          --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Hunt, Don" <dhunt@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi,
                                          >
                                          > I have watched this thread for a couple of days. Maybe I can be of
                                          some
                                          > help. It is possible to run a CGIDEV2 RPG program interactively
                                          from a
                                          > green screen command line. You can set debug breakpoints and watch
                                          your
                                          > code process. Of course, you need to be careful of updates, cookies,
                                          > etc. I have also broken up CGIDEV2 RPG code into chunks and run them
                                          > interactively with debug breakpoints. You need to avoid the API's
                                          > CGIDEV2 uses in this mode as well.
                                          >
                                          > At the other end of the process you can view the source in a note
                                          pad
                                          > session. You probably already know this... From the menu bar of your
                                          > browser, drop down the View option, then take the Source selection.
                                          This
                                          > will let you view your HTML and see what you really made:-)
                                          >
                                          > Don
                                          >

                                          > Don Hunt
                                          > Systems Analyst/Programmer III
                                          > Information Technology Division
                                          > City of Redding
                                          > 777 Cypress Avenue
                                          > Redding, CA 96001
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • Jon Paris
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                            Have you tried using the built-in debug support in CGIDEV2?

                                            If you use the command CGIDEBUG ACTION(*DSP) you can see the current debug
                                            status. ACTION(*ON) will turn it on if it is not currently set. CGIDEBUG
                                            ACTION(*DSPDATA) will show the resulting debug data which includes the
                                            generated HTML sent to the browser. Any CGIDEV2 error messages resulting
                                            from incorrect section names etc. will also be shown.

                                            Jon Paris
                                            Partner400

                                            www.Partner400.com
                                          • penguined
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 7, 2007
                                              doh! i have been responding to the wrong thread! the zhbGetVar
                                              problem has ben resolved already. this was a problem with my hidden
                                              variables not being inside the /form tag.

                                              my current issue is my html variables are not getting updated at all
                                              (besides the hidden variables.

                                              --- In Easy400Group@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@...> wrote:

                                              > Have you tried using the built-in debug support in CGIDEV2?
                                              >
                                              > If you use the command CGIDEBUG ACTION(*DSP) you can see the current
                                              debug
                                              > status. ACTION(*ON) will turn it on if it is not currently set.
                                              CGIDEBUG
                                              > ACTION(*DSPDATA) will show the resulting debug data which includes the
                                              > generated HTML sent to the browser. Any CGIDEV2 error messages
                                              resulting
                                              > from incorrect section names etc. will also be shown.
                                              >
                                              > Jon Paris
                                              > Partner400
                                              >
                                              > www.Partner400.com

                                            • penguined
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 7, 2007
                                                my apologies but the zhbGetVar is no longer an issue. It was
                                                resolved by ensuring that the hidden variables are contained inside
                                                the /form tag (in fact, immediately after the form tag). I thought
                                                people were responding to my current issue of my updHTMLVar and
                                                WrtSection not updating variables in the actual page being
                                                displayed. similar to the original issue, but not exactly.

                                              • Shane Bumgarner
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 7, 2007
                                                  Let us see some code if you can, preferable the relevant html sections & the relevant RPG sections.
                                                  You should be able to update a variable anywhere in the page no matter it's location. Also make sure to update your variables before writing out whatever section they're in.
                                                  Shane

                                                  >>> rkanemeier@... 8/6/2007 9:03 PM >>>

                                                • penguined
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 7, 2007
                                                    CallP updHTMLvar('client':Client:InitHTMLVars)

                                                    the InitHTMLVars was killing my file. this line of code was inside
                                                    my $SetWebVar routine (it's one that updates all the hidden vars). I
                                                    put some bolded comments in the code that state "This routine should
                                                    ALWAYS be run prior to any other updHTMLVar." I also realize that as
                                                    long as you do a WrtSection on the HTML section that contains the
                                                    vars, then it doesn't matter.

                                                    thanks for your time!