BusterAlert- Fireworks Phobia in Dogs

  • padmar@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
      <<Permission to crosspost>>

      Many dogs hate fireworks, so vets often prescribe calmatives or sedatives for these dogs at this time of year.

      Please remember that Acepromazine, one of the most commonly prescribed drugs for thunderstorms and firework phobias, is a mdr1 problem drug. This means that it can cause serious reactions (or death) in dogs that carry the mdr1 mutation. If your dog has the mutation or if you haven't tested them for the mutation yet, you should avoid using Aceproamzine on your dog.

      So far the mdr1 mutation has been found in the following breeds: Australian Shepherds (all sizes), Collies, English Shepherds, Longhaired Whippets, McNabs, Old English Sheepdogs, Shetland Sheepdogs, Silken Windhounds and newly added to the affected breed list are German Shepherds. Mixed breed dogs from these breeds can also carry the mutation.

      To learn more about the mdr1 mutation and the many other mdr1 problem drugs, visit www.BusterAlert.org

      Have a safe and Happy Fourth of July everyone!

      Paddy M.
    • Sally Treat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
        Thanks Paddy! I forwarded the info to one of my local dog training lists and have already received thanks, plus they will spread the word too.
        Sal & Team Treat

      • padmar@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007

          Glad it helped. It was Leah's suggestion via Penny in Texas. It's so cool everyone contributes across the country to protecting our pups!

          I'm away starting tomorrow through July 11. Gemma and I are headed to Nova Scotia for the CPE agility nationals, which should be interesting as we haven't practiced at all since I've been so sick (shingles and a bacterial infection).

          Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July!

          Paddy

          and Gemma (Oh Canada!) and Zephyr (What do ya mean I'm staying home?!!)

          -------------- Original message from "Sally Treat" <sweetdogs@...>: --------------