Re: Is This Normal?

  • helgarh
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
      --- In EarthwiseAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Astarte Earthwise"
      <earthwise@...> wrote:

      Take a look around your environment at the moment and tell me are
      things starting to bud already where you live?

      This morning I picked mum up for shopping. As I drove out of the
      retirement village I saw the wattle tree on the footpath in full
      bloom. It was absolutely covered in blossom. As I turned into Old
      Windsor Road there was another wattle tree in bloom. A different
      variety and not as prolific as the one near mum's place.

      I took a walk around my front garden this afternoon. Yes, my camellia
      is flowering but next door's one is in full bud. My bougainvillia is
      also in blossom as well as my lavender but alas, still no sign of my
      jonquils and snowdrops. Just doesn't seem winter without them
      blooming.

      Helgs
    • Lynette Watters
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
        On the eway into the city today I noticed several wattles alongside the railway line all in full golden bloom. One of the guys I had dinner with works in the weather bureau and says that the last few winters have been mild - this one not quite so mild but still fairly so. must be as (um haven't got the message here for the name!) said about weather cycles.
        ********
          93
        93/93
        Lynette
        http://www.okulture.com

        <earthwise@. ..> wrote:

        Take a look around your environment at the moment and tell me are
        things starting to bud already where you live?

        This morning I picked mum up for shopping. As I drove out of the
        retirement village I saw the wattle tree on the footpath in full
        bloom. It was absolutely covered in blossom. As I turned into Old
        Windsor Road there was another wattle tree in bloom. A different
        variety and not as prolific as the one near mum's place.

        I took a walk around my front garden this afternoon. Yes, my camellia
        is flowering but next door's one is in full bud. My bougainvillia is
        also in blossom as well as my lavender but alas, still no sign of my
        jonquils and snowdrops. Just doesn't seem winter without them
        blooming.

        Helgs

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2006

             Hello... My Name is Peter and I live just over the
          Blue Mountains at a place called Good Forest about
          7 Ks up the Jenolan Caves Rd, and yesterday My Partner
          and I went for a walk over Our 12 acres with the 4 Dogs
          and it WAS green in most of the valleys and the tips of the
          Gum trees were starting to shoot new growth...
          With this drought We are having, just so see the green
          really makes You happy and thankful that "Gaia" has the
          power to restore Her wonderful creations...   ...Peter...

          <earthwise@...> wrote:

          Take a look around your environment at the moment and tell me are
          things starting to bud already where you live?

          This morning I picked mum up for shopping. As I drove out of the
          retirement village I saw the wattle tree on the footpath in full
          bloom. It was absolutely covered in blossom. As I turned into Old
          Windsor Road there was another wattle tree in bloom. A different
          variety and not as prolific as the one near mum's place.

          I took a walk around my front garden this afternoon. Yes, my camellia
          is flowering but next door's one is in full bud. My bougainvillia is
          also in blossom as well as my lavender but alas, still no sign of my
          jonquils and snowdrops. Just doesn't seem winter without them
          blooming.

          Helgs

        • Michael
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2006
            Since i work in a nursery, i feel i can answer some of this.

            firstly, Camellias will flower at any point of the year. Some can
            flower throughout the year with only short breaks between
            flowering. some will only flower in Winter/Spring.

            it is an very odd year this year and i have seen many plants doing
            odd things. My Elderberry is shooting new branches as we speak and
            my English hawthorn is yet to turn its leaves and hide for the
            Winter. My Rowan is just starting to turn and my Apple has finally
            lost its leaves. Nature is definatly doing strange things.

            I generally accept that spring has started when my Pomegranite gets
            its first shoots for the year, the new leaves come out a Vibrant Red
            which to me represents the sun. it is also the plant of Kore and as
            she returns in early springs it seem fit that her tree starts its
            return to life.

            My Blackthorn lost its leaves ages ago and so i know that when that
            returns to life, spring is well and truly back (its generally a late
            starter in Sydney).

            also keep your eyes open for the Prunus trees (Flowering plums,
            peaches etc) as they will flower in very early spring (before they
            get leaves).

            keep your eyes on the lawn (if you have one) as the minute you need
            to mow once a week is definatley telling you that spring has arrived.

            Natives will do what natives do. many Acacias are flowering now
            (great symbol of Yule) and some Gums will flower this early. many
            Lilly Pilly' will now be developing fruit on them and most
            Grevillias will flower at this time too.

            We have had a late start to Autumn in sydney, ther is no denying it,
            but nature is playing catchup in her own way. i suggest people keep
            a diary of there gardens development over the next year and rflect
            back in one years time and watch it all again, see where the
            similarities are and where it is different.

            Michael

            --- In EarthwiseAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "helgarh" <helgarh@...>
            wrote:

            > I noticed this last winter, although it was milder than this one.
            The
            > wattle trees were in blossom long before they should have been and
            my
            > camelia blossomed early as well. I have seen some blossoms in it
            in
            > the past 2 weeks.
            >
            > Strange thing is that both my Italian and curly parsley have gone
            > mad. They sit in pots outside my front door along with other
            herbs
            > and usually they don't grow as fast this time of year but I can't
            pick
            > them quick enough. The trees out the front are still bare and I
            > haven't looked close enough to see whether there are changes
            happening
            > there. Even stranger is that I haven't had any snowdrops or
            jonquils
            > flower. I need to take a closer look at my roses on the weekend
            and
            > other flowers in my garden.
            >
            > Helgs

          • pa_nsw
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2006
              something else to consider regarding leaves falling off trees, is
              their proximity to street and/or artificial lights. the leaves wont
              fall as readily in those areas due to the extra light being provided.
              You may also notice that most leaves fall off the tree, but a small
              patch remains - are they near any artificial light sources?

              camellias flowering to me are a sure sign that winter is on it's way...