gum tree leaves

  • Bronwyn Goulding
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi all

      Does anyone know if you can use dried gum tree leaves to make insence from them by crushing them into a powder form

      bronwen
       FREE Emoticons for your email!
      Click Here!
    • Lunetta
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
        I don't know, but I would guess that one way to find out is to try. I
        don't see why it wouldn't work if you treat it like other dried herbs
        that you burn on top of charcoal, for instance.

        *******
        Lynette
        www.okulture.com

        Bronwyn Goulding wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > Does anyone know if you can use dried gum tree leaves to make insence
        > from them by crushing them into a powder form
        >

        > bronwen

        > *FREE Emoticons for your email! **_Click
        > Here!_*
        > <http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?id=96320>
        >
        > If You Are Born Of This Land, Then You Belong To This Land!

        > Self development
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Self+development&w1=Self+development&w2=Rites+of+passage&w3=Witchcraft&w4=Dreamtime&w5=Australia&w6=Australia+visa&c=6&s=110&.sig=sMoglY6sjw3wyDg76gkg3Q>
        > Rites of passage
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rites+of+passage&w1=Self+development&w2=Rites+of+passage&w3=Witchcraft&w4=Dreamtime&w5=Australia&w6=Australia+visa&c=6&s=110&.sig=r2k67H_OQBTmf1OWIYsNSA>
        > Witchcraft
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Witchcraft&w1=Self+development&w2=Rites+of+passage&w3=Witchcraft&w4=Dreamtime&w5=Australia&w6=Australia+visa&c=6&s=110&.sig=ADXbsuKCATmNjNX91SuIxg>
        >
        > Dreamtime
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Dreamtime&w1=Self+development&w2=Rites+of+passage&w3=Witchcraft&w4=Dreamtime&w5=Australia&w6=Australia+visa&c=6&s=110&.sig=WtjdtK0lNaq8Yc-RDiuDfw>
        > Australia
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Australia&w1=Self+development&w2=Rites+of+passage&w3=Witchcraft&w4=Dreamtime&w5=Australia&w6=Australia+visa&c=6&s=110&.sig=V0sOKBkf2OJ4kGS8UOXWzA>
        > Australia visa
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Australia+visa&w1=Self+development&w2=Rites+of+passage&w3=Witchcraft&w4=Dreamtime&w5=Australia&w6=Australia+visa&c=6&s=110&.sig=vtcX6F2-PBc0Rl62RCefMQ>

      • Astarte Earthwise
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
          Hello Bronwyn

          I have been taught how to use gum leaves by an aboriginal elder, and I use
          them alot, I always harvest mine and dry it for this purpose. I have never
          understood why so many Aussies insist on using sage for smudging and
          puryfying just like the Native Americans, when its not what our indigenous
          people have used here, they use what they refer to as sacred gum. It does
          have a tendancy to spit and splatter, so you have to use it with much care
          and respect. I personally have found it to be excellent for purification and
          the smell is just wonderful, makes you feel like you are out in the bush.

          I have also been taught that once fruit or leaves hit the ground they become
          animal food, therefore I would only ever harvest what was fresh for incense
          or smudging, as it seems clever that everything on the planet gets their
          fair share.

          I make my own smudge sticks...have a look!

          http://www.earthwise-store.com just scroll down till you see the smudge
          sticks, and there is a bit more information there too.

          LLL
          Astarte xXx

          Hi all

          Does anyone know if you can use dried gum tree leaves to make insence from
          them by crushing them into a powder form

          bronwen
        • Peter
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005

               Blessing Bronwen...
            At 04:19 PM 02/08/2005 +1000, you wrote:
            Hi all
            Does anyone know if you can use dried gum tree leaves to make
            insence from them by crushing them into a powder form

            bronwen

            Peter Wrote...

            Just Like Astarte stated, the Original Australians
            have been using Gum Leaves for Centuries...

            I have been using Dry Gum Leaves as a Dry Smudge
            for about 3 years...

            This all started one day when I wanted something to get
            the Wood Fire going, and I will Not use Paper to start a fire...

            I just pick what I am allowed off the ground, tie them together
            and go for My Life...

            I have then used the crumbled Dry Leaves and mixed them with
            cheap Cologne and use that as a Wet Smudge...

            I use to use Mums 47LL Cologne, but at the cost of $100.00
            as ounce, I have kept what is left, for medical peruses...

            I have not looked at the Web-Link that Astarte has given yet
            but I'm shaw You could use Gum Leaves as Incense...

            I do use crushed Dry Gum Leaves in the Bread Mixture
            when I make My Own Fruit Loaf... it really gives the bread
            a great taste...   ...Peter...

            "Speak 'Friend' and Enter"...
            With the "Blessings" from the "Spirits"
            and the belief in "Myself" as the "5th Element"
            I will find peace on "Gaia"
            or go "Bloody Mad" doing "It"

              "Xanadu"
            "The Dome in the Sky"
            http://www.users.bigpond.com/xanadu42/

          • Pete
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
              >Hi all
              >Does anyone know if you can use dried gum tree leaves to make insence
              from them by crushing them into a powder form
              >Bronwen

              I have used Euculyptas leaves and Lemon-Scented Gum leaves by crushing
              them and burning on charcoal blocks. So I can't see any reason why you
              couldn't - give it a go and see what happens. If you have Grass Trees /
              Balga's (Black Boy's) in your area, look at the bottom of the tree as
              often they have balls of resin which ooze out and roll up in balls.
              These are great as an Australian incense...

              Does anyone else have know any good native Australian plants for incense?

              There's also a great little company down south of Perth, here in West
              Oz, called 'Tinderbox' that do a great incense made from native plants,
              resins and oils call 'Corroboree' which is worth trying -
              http://www.cheekyherbs.com/products.php?id=5 - but unfortunetly they
              don't give you the list of ingredients, but I do recognise that it has
              Grass Tree resin in it. I was first introduced to it during the sweat
              lodge process where the fascilitator used it in one of the rounds.

              Pete...
              http://www.primalvision.net

            • Lunetta
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                Peter wrote:

                > I do use crushed Dry Gum Leaves in the Bread Mixture
                > when I make My Own Fruit Loaf... it really gives the bread
                > a great taste... ...Peter...

                mmmm - I remember buying eucalyptus icecream at the Mt Annan botanical
                gardens a few years ago - lovely and refreshing!

                *******
                Lynette
                www.okulture.com
              • Lunetta
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                  I have used lemon myrtle, which I bought as atea (also make a nice tea,
                  of course!).

                  And, since I mentioned tea, whilst it's off topic for the incense
                  discussion, I've sometimes added a callistemon flower to the water on
                  the boil for tea - lends a lovely light fragrance and taste to a tea.

                  *******
                  Lynette
                  www.okulture.com
                • Astarte Earthwise
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Hello There Lynette,

                    Mmmm I love Lemon Myrtle, I have a tree growing...hey everyone this is the
                    best substitute, and much better for flavour than lemongrass and lemon
                    balm...go native and buy one it will grow in a large tub too, lovely in the
                    drawers too for a fresh lemony smell to your clothes or linen.

                    Lynette also mentioned adding callistemon flower to water for tea...this is
                    commonly known as the bottle brush for those that dont know the botanical
                    names...these flowers dipped in water adds a lovely sweetness and is also a
                    great drink on a hot summers day!

                    > I have used lemon myrtle, which I bought as atea (also make a nice tea,
                    > of course!).
                    >
                    > And, since I mentioned tea, whilst it's off topic for the incense
                    > discussion, I've sometimes added a callistemon flower to the water on
                    > the boil for tea - lends a lovely light fragrance and taste to a tea.
                    >
                    > *******
                    > Lynette
                    > www.okulture.com
                  • bron