Re: [EarthwiseAustralia] Dreamtime

  • Ann Fox
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2005
      Hi Steve

      I've looked into Dreamtime techniques, but they are very different for different places and people. I have found the best thing to do is to go to your local bush area, meditate and make a connection there, and ask for ideas and help from the natural energies (Goddess, God, spirits, rainbow serpent, or what is there!). I found the response was definite and stunning, but not quick. I really had to immerse myself in the bush.

      Good luck, and blessings
      Ann

      Phoenix Australis <phoenixaustralis@...> wrote:

      Does anyone here use Aboriginal Dreamtime techniques, and if so, would
      thay like to share them?

      Thanks in Advance
      Steve

      If You Are Born Of This Land, Then You Belong To This Land!

    • frater_carfax
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
        > Does anyone here use Aboriginal Dreamtime techniques, and if so,
        > would thay like to share them?

        Hi Steve

        I'm not sure what you mean by "Dreamtime Techniques", could you
        elaborate?

        I think the other problem too, and list owner Astarte will correct
        me if I'm wrong as this is really her area of expertise, is that
        Dreaming is more often than not tied to "place". Thus describing
        anything in terms of "technique" may be frought with problems.

        Hence if you have not been lucky enough to be taught about "a"
        specific Dreaming in context to place in which it resides, and in
        context to the specific cultural group to whom it is sacred, there
        are issues with trying to "translocate" it.

        I'll relate an anecdote - I was visiting the Three Sisters in the
        Blue Mountains (NSW) a couple of years ago a the local aboriginal
        chap who blows the didge for tourists was being engaged with a
        younger lad who was trying to tell him about his own Dreaming
        tradition.

        The old guy rebuked him severely and told him he didn't need, nor
        want, to know about his Dreaming because it wasn't his own Dreaming
        and as such had no meaning nor reality for him, because he didn't
        know its place.

        I think this for me also highlighted the problems we make for
        ourselves when we of European extraction class something
        as "aboriginal" as a broad brush stroke (such as we do for the
        term "Dreaming"), when we are are really talking about hundreds of
        very individual cultures and "realities".

        Not rebuking you Steve :-) I'd be interested in hearing how you've
        undertaken investigation in terms of "place" on the beautiful island
        on which you live in terms of your interests.

        LLL

        Jonathan
      • Astarte Earthwise
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hello There Steve and a belated welcome to the group!!

          > Does anyone here use Aboriginal Dreamtime techniques, and if so, would
          > thay like to share them?
          > Thanks in Advance
          > Steve

          That is a really popular question that you ask, and it has a very simple
          answer, "Oneness"...its about being still and absorbing what is around you,
          internally and externally. Physically, Mentally, Emotionally and
          Spiritually.

          It is definately about place, as both Anne and Jonathan mentioned, there are
          many different dreamings for aboriginals depending on what nation they were
          born into, the Songlines and the Dreaming Tracks, that you were born on, and
          the totems, all these are a part of the very personal and individual
          Dreaming. These dreamings help people to understand themselves and their
          behaviour toward creation and the dreaming. The dreaming is an extremely
          complex network with different practices, stories, laws, faith and
          knowledge, the dreaming is what governed the people and their behaviour. The
          Dreaming comes from the land, that is why the aboriginal people never owned
          the land it was a part of them, so they protected and respected their Mother
          Earth.

          Aboriginal people believe that they never come into this life with a burden
          to heavy to carry, they choose their lives and their lessons, and the
          dreaming is like a map for them to follow to bring them closer to the
          Oneness, its about having an intimate relationship with all the emotions, so
          that we know each emotion so very well, so that it no longer controls us. As
          we travel through our personal dreamings we are "Boss of Self"

          So Steve to absorb the energies of the dreaming, seek your oneness by being
          "boss of self" forever. Be Still, Talk your Power, Walk your Talk. Seek your
          Truth, and Be your Journey.

          The Dreaming for me personally is about walking consciously, being aware on
          many levels, seeing more deeply into my environment internally and
          externally through using all my senses. I wasnt born to the songlines and
          dreaming tracks, but I have my totems, given to me by an Elder, my heart
          belongs to the lands of the Wirradjiri Peoples, and has since I was a young
          child. When I cross into Wiradjiri land I always feel very emotional a
          feeling of coming home. This is part of my dreaming, when we connect to the
          land, as the dreaming requires, we see and learn more through different
          states of awareness.

          Being Boss of Self is very important, my latin signature "Minstro sui juris
          miles militus" translates to
          "To serve ones own master warrior" which is my own reminder that I need to
          be strong first, to best serve the community.

          I am also comfortable using the words Dreamtime Techniques, as there are
          techniques and definately a system to understanding the complexities of the
          Dreaming. I dont believe as a non aboriginal it is something I will ever
          fully understand, but there is no reason why I cannot aspire to its
          teachings and learn and be a better person for it, it makes my connection
          with this land I was born on deeper and that is something I am happy to
          teach others, and have permission to do so.

          I only teach the dreamings of the Wirradjiri, as have been taught to me,
          however I have spent time in other places and felt the energies of the
          dreamings there too, yet it is not the same as on the land I am connected
          to...its all about feeling your way! Once you can see the dreaming tracks
          and songlines a walk through the bush is never quite the same, and you will
          always have a deeper understanding of that immediate environment!

          Light, Life, Love
          Astarte Earthwise xXx "Walk Lightly On This Precious Earth"
          ---------------------
          Love that is Limitless,
          Life that is Inexhaustable
          Light Before Which All Darkness Melts Away

          ø¤º°` Earthwise ø¤º°`
          <:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::]]======0
          "Minstro sui juris miles militus"

          ----------------------
        • Rowan
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
            Hello, I'm fairly new to the group and have been kind of lurking. I'm in America living in Fl. I've read what I can find online about Dreamtime and know that each area or region has their own set of beliefs....But this is the first time I've heard of songlines....Would anyone be willing to explain it to me? Also, I've been learning about different pagan paths for a few years now. I know you can not learn everything from books but are there any books about dreamtime out there that I can use to further me learning and give me a little more insight? The closest thing I've found is Mutant Message Down Under....I ate it up...I know the author wrote another. I'm looking forward to reading it soon....Any help or further insight would be very much welcomed.
            And Astarte thank you for you words even though you were writing for someone else. "Seek your truth. Be your journey" is something I needed to hear now....I will hold those words close to me as I continue to seek wisdom from the earth and this amazing world around me. Thank you.....
            Rowan

            Astarte Earthwise <earthwise@...> wrote:

> [...]

            teachings and learn and be a better person for it, it makes my connection
            with this land I was born on deeper and that is something I am happy to
            teach others, and have permission to do so.

            I only teach the dreamings of the Wirradjiri, as have been taught to me,
            however I have spent time in other places and felt the energies of the
            dreamings there too, yet it is not the same as on the land I am connected
            to...its all about feeling your way! Once you can see the dreaming tracks
            and songlines a walk through the bush is never quite the same, and you will
            always have a deeper understanding of that immediate environment!

            Light, Life, Love
            Astarte Earthwise xXx  "Walk Lightly On This Precious Earth"
            ---------------------
            Love that is Limitless,
            Life that is Inexhaustable
            Light Before Which All Darkness Melts Away

            ����`  Earthwise   ����`
            <:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::]]======0
            "Minstro sui juris miles militus"

            ----------------------

            If You Are Born Of This Land, Then You Belong To This Land!

            Partners may come and go but the journey is yours alone.
            -Blackwell

            (Said in a thick NY accent) Ya' know some people keep a gun by their beds....Me, I like my bo.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Astarte Earthwise
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
              Hello There Rowan and Welcome!

              I lived also on the East Coast of your country for 3 years, though I was up
              much further in Delaware, its much warmer where you are in Florida.

              Songlines: Are the essence of honouring every single thing, you must know a
              Songlines candle, its light. Songlines cross over dreaming tracks on a
              different energy line. When you learn to see Songlines in the land, with
              awareness you see everything in that area. Learning the Songlines also
              teaches us to become intimate with our emotions. A Songline visually is when
              you see all around you in an area you walk the essence of something.say for
              example this Songline is one of the Bandicoot, you would see the essence of
              the Bandicoot in the rocks, the trees, just all around you in different
              sizes and shapes, there is no denying you are on a bandicoot Songline, you
              feel and see the essence of Bandicoot, and so you would learn the Songline
              and learn its lesson if you were born on this Songline, quite often the
              grids of Songlines over lap and intersect so aboriginals may have 3 or 4
              Songlines as there birth right.getting back to the Bandicoot.Bandicoots are
              nocturnal spiritual essence, they have the capacity to see when all is
              darkest, it sees in the night. A bandicoot is both destructive and
              constructive with its digging. You know someone who is a shit stirrer - or
              who is practical. The Bandicoot essence is that person that can dig and
              churn stuff up that we may not want to look at, for it is the bandicoot that
              digs the hole that seeds fall into and grow. ..I hope I made this clear
              enough to understand, sometimes its hard to put such things in writing.

              Mutant Messages Down Under: This Book is PURE FICTION!!!!!

              And it and its author Ms Morgan have offended the many Aboriginal elders.
              Heads of Aboriginal organisations met, condemned the book as a hoax and
              called for it to be withdrawn from sale back in 1995.The Dumbartung
              Aboriginal Organisation, from Perth in Western Australia, prepared a 90-page
              document setting out its objections. Dr John Stanton, from the University of
              Western Australia's Berndt Museum of Anthropology, concluded in an expert
              assessment commissioned by Dumbartung that Morgan's book seriously insulted
              the religious beliefs of desert Aboriginals. Even after this Marlo continued
              to say the book was real and took it to Hollywood and sold the rights to
              United Artists for 1.8 million Dollars, hearing this, a delegation of 8
              Elders headed to the USA. Morgan admitted for the first time to the eight
              elders that her work was fiction and a fabrication. She said: "I would like
              to say that I'm terribly sorry and my sincere, my sincere apologies to any
              Australian Aboriginal person if I have offended them in any way."

              The book clearly contained misleading and damaging information about
              Aboriginal people. Damage from the book was done to the overseas image of
              Aboriginal culture, which is complex, diverse and vibrant; this sadly could
              be ever undone. Morgan promised a written apology, which she actually never
              produced.

              Sorry to shock you about Marlo Morgan, but the woman is not thought of very
              highly here Rowan, and now I am sure you can understand why.

              Rowan anything written here is for all of you here, I have learnt so much
              from the elders, and I am happy to pass on what I can and for you to pass it
              on also in its entirety, and that goes for anyone here on the list.

              Light, Life, Love
              Astarte Earthwise xXx "Walk Lightly On This Precious Earth"
              ---------------------
              Love that is Limitless,
              Life that is Inexhaustable
              Light Before Which All Darkness Melts Away

              ø¤º°` Earthwise ø¤º°`
              <:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::]]======0
              "Minstro sui juris miles militus"

              ----------------------
            • Pete
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
                For those interested here is a webpage giving further 'perspective' to the 'Mutant Messages' book - http://trackertrail.com/mutantmessage/

                Pete...

                "There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique.  And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost"  - Martha Graham

              • Rowan
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Hello!
                   Thank  you for letting me know about Marlo....I'll look into the websites tonight when I get home from work. I knew there was alittle controversy about the book but I didn't know it was that much.
                  My interest in Dreamtime actually started with art. I saw someone do a piece inspired by Aboriginal art on TV. Then in my looking into the art I noticed most pieces had to do with Dreamtime or Dreaming. So I started to research that online and found some interesting sites. Nothing that was really concrete though about specific Dreaming beliefs. Is there anything out there that could give me a better starting place? Currently I'm not even sure what questions to ask.
                  Astarte, Thank you for your explaination of songlines. I think I understand...Give me a few days to reread it and think it over and I probably will start finding questions to ask...Oh and I lived in Pennsylvania for most of my childhood. It is alot warmer down here....I think I perfer the sun and sand to the snow and ice!
                  Wait just thought of something. Songlines-I'm sure they can be applied other countries but are they? Are their people here in America, Britian, Asia....anywhere that are learning about the Aboriginals and applying the beliefs? How can you find the songlines? I assume there really isn't a map with them all plotted out so is just the feeling and being taught them by elders? Ok I think I found questions! Thanks again for your answers....

                  Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

                • teejah7
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 18, 2005
                    I have joined this group a while ago as my partner and I are both
                    Indigenous and pagans, but I've just been reading and learning.

                    My partner and I would like to find a way to learn the ways of the
                    Wiradjiri for our children and my partner for himself. My partner is
                    Wiradjiri and I am TSI however do to shame upon our families we have
                    been brought up totally outside our cultures and we do not want the
                    same for our children (my partner has a 5yo and we plan to have our
                    own family soon).

                    Our families want nothing to do with our journeys and so we must
                    find the way on our own, what we ask for is some guidance.

                    Who should we seek? Should I as TSI also seek to learn about the
                    Wiradjiri? What should our children be learning? When & how should
                    we teach them?

                    I know this is a lot of questions and I don't expect for them to be
                    answered, just a little help in the right direction with any of them
                    would be appreciated.

                    Teejah

                    > I have my totems, given to me by an Elder, my heart
                    > belongs to the lands of the Wirradjiri Peoples, and has since I
                    was a young
                    > child. When I cross into Wiradjiri land I always feel very
                    emotional a
                    > feeling of coming home. This is part of my dreaming, when we
                    connect to the
                    > land, as the dreaming requires, we see and learn more through
                    different
                    > states of awareness.

                  • Astarte Earthwise
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 22, 2005
                      Dearest Teejah

                      Welcome and thanks for your questions, I am happy to guide you and assist if
                      I can, as are others here on this list. I guess the first question would be
                      what is it you are looking for? Because once we know and you know what it is
                      you seek then we can assist you better. I dont see any harm in you learning
                      the way of the Wiradjirri if this resonates and feels right for you, this is
                      I believe a very personal choice and one that you need to decide for
                      yourself. I have been taught that the biggest commodity of exchange between
                      aboriginal nations was philosophy, so I see no harm for a Torres Strait
                      Islander to learn the philosophies of the Wiradjirri, especially these days,
                      when the teachings are there for us all.

                      Where are you living right now? Do you have access to aboriginal people in
                      the area you are living? If you are in Sydney I could meet with you and help
                      you with the appropriate connections, I am heading over the mountains today
                      to that wonderful Wiradjiri land, and I will be camping for 5 days under the
                      stars on the land, I am sure I will have much more to share on my return

                      Happy Equinox to all, as the wheel turns and we head towards the darker part
                      of the year, Easter is a great time for literally cutting the deadwood from
                      your life, something to reflect on over the break. Remember to get out and
                      hug a tree or two....have a great break all

                      Love & Warmth
                      Astarte xXx
                      > I have joined this group a while ago as my partner and I are both
                      > Indigenous and pagans, but I've just been reading and learning.
                      >
                      > My partner and I would like to find a way to learn the ways of the
                      > Wiradjiri for our children and my partner for himself. My partner is
                      > Wiradjiri and I am TSI however do to shame upon our families we have
                      > been brought up totally outside our cultures and we do not want the
                      > same for our children (my partner has a 5yo and we plan to have our
                      > own family soon).
                      >
                      > Our families want nothing to do with our journeys and so we must
                      > find the way on our own, what we ask for is some guidance.
                      >
                      > Who should we seek? Should I as TSI also seek to learn about the
                      > Wiradjiri? What should our children be learning? When & how should
                      > we teach them?
                      >
                      > I know this is a lot of questions and I don't expect for them to be
                      > answered, just a little help in the right direction with any of them
                      > would be appreciated.
                      >
                      > Teejah
                      >
                      > > I have my totems, given to me by an Elder, my heart
                      > > belongs to the lands of the Wirradjiri Peoples, and has since I
                      > was a young
                      > > child. When I cross into Wiradjiri land I always feel very
                      > emotional a
                      > > feeling of coming home. This is part of my dreaming, when we
                      > connect to the
                      > > land, as the dreaming requires, we see and learn more through
                      > different
                      > > states of awareness.
                      > >

                      > If You Are Born Of This Land, Then You Belong To This Land!
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • teejah7
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1 12:53 AM
                        > what is it you are looking for? >
                        > Where are you living right now? Do you have access to aboriginal
                        people in
                        > the area you are living? If you are in Sydney I could meet with
                        you and help
                        > you with the appropriate connections, I am heading over the
                        mountains today
                        > to that wonderful Wiradjiri land, and I will be camping for 5 days
                        under the
                        > stars on the land, I am sure I will have much more to share on my
                        return

                        Thank you for your offer of help. We are looking to learn initially
                        enough to teach our children about their culture. From there we
                        would like to learn as much as we could.

                        We live in Penrith, but we are willing to travel around to meet with
                        the right people.

                        Thank you again
                        Teejah