Re: [EarthwiseAustralia] Animals and the Tsunami

  • Cerulean Blu
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
      I am sure that animals know what is happening with the earth. Living on a fault line, we tend to feel earth tremors here, even when the epicentre is a long way off (to the point where things have fallen off shelves and cracks appeared in the gyprock after tremors!). I've observed my animals (horses, dogs and donkey) and the wild animals and birds behaviour when there's going to be a tremor. If it's at night, the animals wake me up for it. They also woke me up for the recent "lightshow" when there was a large fireball passing over NSW.

      They predict the weather very accurately, too and tell me how bad a storm is going to be, which direction it's coming from and whether there will be lightning, winds or hail. Last week we had over 9" of rain in a few hours. The bureau of meteorology had issued no warnings for my area, but the animals always know!

      One of the simplest things is my native beehive, in a section of log. A quick check of the bees' activity and how open or closed their "door" is tells me upcoming temperature, possibility of rain etc.

      What I really want to know, though is where the black cockatoos go when it's NOT going to rain!

      Interestingly enough, some of the more "well bred" horses (ie ones with hundreds of years of selective breeding behind them such as the Thoroughbreds) can be less sensitive to predicting changes than the mongrels. I suspect this means that humans may be breeding survival skills out of some breeds...
      Cerulean

      Hi guys
      I thought this would interest you all.
      Even in all this terrible carnage, the animals prove they are far more evolved than we give them credit for.
      Scott