Clark Ashton Smith

  • Michael Norwitz
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2005
      For quite a while I've been trying to timeline his story 'Vulthoom,' which
      was an influence on the original CS tale. I still haven't, but I have
      found a way to incorporate information from it:

      1955
      ============================
      S'kaa M'axx, a white Martian, comes to Earth bringing with him the curse
      of Volthoom. He establishes himself as chief rival to Ultraman before
      being slain in battle. [date from House of Mystery #143]

      1959
      ============================
      Joseph Harrolds, while traveling through Bahdnesia, receives a mystical
      power battery and ring of almost limitless power from a mad Buddhist monk
      named Volthoom; he takes the name Power Ring. [date from Showcase #22]
      His power battery grants him the same powers as his ring; thus he still
      has his powers even if he loses his ring. [as revealed in SSoSV #13]
      [Note: JLA #109 mentioned Power Ring's last name was "Harrolds"]

      The word "Vulthoom" was first coined by Weird Tales writer Clark Ashton
      Smith in the 1930's for one of his otherworldly stories. The Bahdnesian
      connection is from JLA: Earth-2 although the former best guess as to the
      ethnic background of 'Volthoom' had been that the monk must have been
      Dutch (whereupon it would be pronounced Vault-home)! Vulthoom is tied to
      Mars, which suggested a connection between the Earth-3 counterpart of
      J'onn J'onnz and Power Ring. A similar connection does exist on
      Other-Earth between Skamax the Skrullian Skymaster and Joseph Ledger,
      Doctor Spectrum, and I have chosen to reflect that on the timeline.
      Whether S'kaa M'axx disguised himself as a mad Bahdnesian Buddhist to
      present Joseph Harrolds with the curse of Volthoom, or whether he passed
      the curse on to a Bahdnesian Buddhist who went mad as a consequence, is
      unclear. The Earth-1 Power Ring appeared in Green Lantern #18, "Green
      Lantern vs. Power Ring"; he was a hobo named William Bagget who found a
      magical Ring of Power, and I assumed this was the original Power Ring's
      name until Kurt Busiek gave us the name "Harrolds."

      Mikel Midnight
      "You will die, sir, either on the gallows or from the
      pox." (John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich)
      "That depends, sir, on whether I embrace your principles
      or your mistress." (John Wilkes, sometime friend of his
      and rakish member of the aristocracy)

      blaklion@...
      ___________________________________________________http://blaklion.best.vwh.net
    • Michael Norwitz
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2005
        I will post it here when it's finished, but I'm working on a story which
        features the original Dan Garrett-counterpart Scarab and his teammate
        counterparts of Fighting American & Speedboy, named Agent Amerika & Spice.
        I also refer to counterparts of Captain Action & Action Boy, but only in
        passing (mainly because I couldn't come up with definitive names for them:
        Captain Evil and Evil Boy?).

        They battle the Dust Devils (Swashbuckler, Tall Tree, Mighty Eagle &
        Flamehair II).