Monday's Child

  • john_m_burt
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
      The road went deep into Sweetwater Marsh, which is to say it went
      nowhere. That was just where the three men in the battered pickup
      truck wanted to be for what they had planned for this Monday
      afternoon's entertainment.

      Scott Allen, Al Giordano and Cal Rayner had plans. Ostensibly, they
      were going there to retrieve a stash of stolen jet fuel Giordano had
      stashed there. That was the only plan they spoke of when all three
      were together. Allen planned to join Rayner in beating Giordano to
      death for stealing from his cousin. Giordano planned to join Rayner
      in drowning Allen for seducing Giordano's girl. Rayner planned to
      enjoy beating Giordano for awhile, then gut-shoot Allen, pour fuel
      over their groaning bodies, and watch them burn.

      He had no particular grudge against them; he'd just never tried
      burning anybody to death yet, and thought this would be a good
      opportunity.

      Sweetwater Marsh was a good place for doing evil, the kind of evil it
      was hard to get away with even in Gotham City of Earth-3. Once, the
      water had indeed been sweet. It had been the source of Gotham's
      drinking water, the best tapwater of any big city in Amerika, so pure
      that science labs didn't bother buying distilled water.

      But there had been a market for the cypress trees of Sweetwater Marsh
      as timber, so naturally many of them were cut. People had wanted
      land to build suburbs, so naturally hectares of the marsh had been
      drained. It would have cost money to treat the effluent from
      Gotham's factories, and so it had been dumped, untreated, into the
      marsh. It had been inevitable. People always sought their own
      interests, didn't they?

      So Sweetwater Marsh had become a foul, stinking, poisonous cesspool,
      only visited by those who wanted to go nowhere, to be nowhere, to be
      outside of anyone's interest or concern.

      The three men climbed out of the truck slowly, warily, each watching
      the others. There was a tension between them, unacknowledged, each
      man's fear and suspicion feeding on the reactions of the others. A
      few meters from the stack of fuel cans, they all froze, whipping out
      their various weapons as a fourth figure approached, bare feet
      seeming to walk right across the surface of the foul bubbling pool on
      the far side of Giordano's stash.

      The men watched, their overwrought fear turning to surprise and
      pleasure (still overlaid with a good deal of suspicion) when they saw
      that the intruder was a small, slim young woman. A girl, perhaps, or
      even a fairy, she was so slender, so delicate, so fair. In fact, her
      skin was actually white, a translucent milky white that complemented
      the long silver hair that hung down her bare white back.

      She stepped amongst them, naked and unafraid, with no shyness but no
      boldness either. She was simply there, with them, unspeaking,
      smiling gently, touching them one by one, lightly, with long white
      fingers. Ignoring the automatic hanging limp in Rayner's hand, she
      took his face in her hands and kissed him. As he tasted her cool,
      limey lips, he felt all the cruelty and violence in his heart melting
      away, and somehow he knew that it would not return. She kissed the
      other two, and peace descended in the poisoned heart of Sweetwater
      Marsh.

      So began the strange career of Monday's Child, the mute and lovely
      spawn of Sweetwater Marsh. Wherever she went, the values on which
      Amerikan society was founded were upended, and no power on Earth-3
      could stop her for long. Power Ring in particular developed a
      passionate hatred for her, and tried again and again to destroy her.
      But that is a story for another time.
    • johnreiter902
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 15, 2015
        Doesn't this version of Solomon Grundy conflict with Hiram Goldman, the Solomon Grundy counterpart in the Monster Society of Good? I'm not saying I don't like this one better, I do. But Hiram Goldman's stories are more rooted in the current Earth-3 chronology.
      • The Time Trust
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2015
          I thought about that, too, before I published the story, but I think both can exist. Hiram Goldman is definitely more of a Solomon Grundy counterpart than Monday's Child.

          We don't even know anything about her background, so for all we know, she could be a counterpart of Earth-2's Kid Grundy, or someone else entirely. There are some parallels with Solomon Grundy, particularly the way she comes by her name, but I don't see her as a direct counterpart.

          Even if she is, we've seen multiple Solomon Grundys before, on Earth-1.

          --
          Cheers,
          Doc Quantum

          www.5earths.info

          Doesn't this version of Solomon Grundy conflict with Hiram Goldman, the Solomon Grundy counterpart in the Monster Society of Good? I'm not saying I don't like this one better, I do. But Hiram Goldman's stories are more rooted in the current Earth-3 chronology.

        • ddswanson
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2015
            Multiple Grundy's on Earth-1? More like a gazillion!
          • Philip-Todd Franklin
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2015
              oh don't worry  Dan, it's just the local convention of Grundy in town.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2015
                I'm glad I don't live in Metropolis on Earth-1. Can you imagine the sight of a Solomon Grundy popping out of every manhole in the city simultaneously?
              • Philip-Todd Franklin
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 22, 2015
                  know what you mean, not too sure if I would want to run screaming or grab a camera and start taking pictures. lol