A Man of Little Talent - 1

  • immortalwildcat
    Message 1 of 495 , Nov 2, 2001
      It was a hot summer night in Gateway City. People
      milled about the theater district as shows let out.
      Among them, one couple seemed unhappy about more than
      the heat.<br><br>"What do you mean, you're breaking
      off our engagement? Alice, we've been a couple since
      high school! You can't leave me, you're all I
      have!"<br><br>"Do you think I don't know that? For God's sake, all
      you've done since high school is bum around from one
      dead-end job to another. What's the longest you've kept a
      position? Two weeks? Three?" The young woman walked away
      from the crowd, down the road that led to a bridge
      spanning the Gateway River. "I'm not looking for a man to
      support me, but I'd like to know that, when I marry, I
      can at least depend on my husband to carry part of
      the load."<br><br>"Oh, come on! Those jobs have all
      been such a drag! Spend eight hours a day putting
      bolts on a wheel, or flipping burgers, or replacing
      light bulbs. I just haven't found something to interest
      me yet, that's all." He hurried to keep up with
      her.<br><br>"No, that's not it. I remember what you were like in
      school. It was like you didn't want to learn anything."
      Halfway across the bridge, she stopped, turned, and faced
      him. "It's over. I want you out of my life!"<br><br>He
      grabbed her by the shoulders and tried to pull her to
      him. "Come on, baby, you don't mean that," he murmured
      as he tried to kiss her.<br><br>"Leave me alone!"
      she screamed, pulling away. As she did, she stumbled
      on the curb at the edge of the roadway. She pitched
      backward, toward the railing. As her companion closed in on
      her, she back up more, finding herself up against the
      rail as the river rushed past below her.<br><br>"You
      didn't really mean that, Alice. Let's go back to your
      place now, hmmm?" he said, reaching for her.
      Instinctively, she flinched back. When she did, a rusted bracket
      gave way and the railing snapped apart. With nothing
      to hold her back, Alice fell backwards, down thirty
      feet into the rushing water.<br><br>"Help! Help me,
      you horrific bastard!" she screamed.<br><br>"I'm
      sorry, Alice. I never did get around to learning how to
      swim. Someday, perhaps." As he turned away, hearing her
      screams replaced by a gurgling, strangled sound, Terry
      Sloane thought about what she'd said. "Horrific, eh?
      I'll show the people of this town what horrific really
      is!"
    • lawrenceliberty
      Message 495 of 495 , Mar 25
        Ringmaster was the E-3 version of the Flash  (Flash 261)  villain of the same name. Not very creative of me to have used exact same names for A. Bug, Onyx, and Ringmaster for E-3 counterparts but they were just names and made no real appearances in the story.