Re: [Earth-1 After the Crisis] Global Guardians 7

  • The Time Trust
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4 1:42 AM
      I just finished reading this epic story, Libby, and I'm amazed at how you pulled all this together. You must have done quite a bit of character research and research on the nations involved to write this story, and it shows.

      Rather than comment on each chapter in separate posts, I thought I'd comment on all of the chapters at once. So here goes.

      Chapters 1 - 2:

      I like your use of the Green Fury. Yes, she did have so many more abilities than a mere green flame, as portrayed in her Justice League days. She was, in fact, a very powerful character in her own right. I'm looking forward to seeing your Mirror, Mirror story starring the character, as I'd love to know what she's been up to since she left the Conglomerate shortly after the Invasion.

      Your use of reformed villains as heroes, as in the case of the new Gaucho, is an intriguing idea. You only hint at the moral transformation that the Gaucho went through when reformed by the original Gaucho, but I'd love to read that "origin story" if you ever want to write it (or if you don't want to, I'd love to see someone else write it). For those readers who are interested, the new Gaucho fought Wonder Woman in WONDER WOMAN #263 and #264, when he was a super-assassin working for the Cartel.

      Princess Tlaca is another reformed villain, of sorts, though I like your explanation of why she acted as she did when she fought Supergirl, way back in SUPERMAN FAMILY #165. Here's another good example of an extremely obscure character put to a new good use as more than just the villain of the month. An examination of her lost tribe and her upbringing would be worthwhile as well.

      You also hint at such wonders as Dr. Deyermenjian and his Explorer's Club allies, which makes me want to read a story about them, too! This is a great use of world-building. After all, Earth-One consists of a whole world out there that has largely been "unexplored" at least as far as American comic-books are concerned. I'm hoping to see the Explorer's Club show up for real in another story sometime, perhaps as guest stars in a Cave Carson or Sea Devils story.

      Chapters 2 - 3:

      Good, you're following up on your earlier Japan- and Asia-focused Global Guardians stories, and giving them some familiar context by pitting this team against established super-villains, as you are in several other chapters in this story. That definitely helps provide the reader with some solid DC Universe footing to help anchor it in a greater context. Sometimes it can be confusing to keep track of a lot of characters if all of them are new, so using established villains definitely helps when introducing new heroes.

      I also like your use of new Batman-inspired heroes such as Kimouri the Bat-Samurai, who make great additions to the Batmen of All Nations, and help give that non-team more accuracy to their name by having members from more places around the globe than before.

      Chapter 4:

      The rich history of Wonder Woman provides some great fodder for characters here. Again, a novel use of villains turned heroes gives us Sophia Constantinas and the Silver Swan, who as villains were set adrift along with the other enemies of Wonder Woman (and Supergirl) upon their "deaths" in the Crisis.

      I also liked seeing one of the former Hybrid members -- Harpi -- show up as a Global Guardian. The Invasion story certainly set up that possibility for all or most of the surviving Hybrid members, but that subplot, like so many others from the Invasion, wasn't really followed up on. (That reminds me, we haven't seen any use of the new Neutron, the super-speedster from South Korea -- he would be a natural guest-star or member of your new Global Guardians sub-team in Asia). And the New Olympians made a great choice, if an obvious one, as the villains for these Greek heroes.

      Chapter 5:

      This chapter excited me a lot, because I root for African heroes and want to see them take off in a big way. I liked seeing your introduction of the new Batwing character to our Earth-One, of course, but I was even more impressed by the way you introduced Bloodwynd. He's no J'onn J'onzz in disguise here, but making him one of the intelligent gorillas from Gorilla City was truly inspired.

      Congo Bill as the team's financier is a great idea, tying in that character's long history as DC's first "African" hero to the new history you're creating here.

      If I had any complaint at all, it would only be that you didn't take this opportunity to introduce a successor to the late B'wana Beast, as I'd always intended for that character's death during the Invasion to lead to a new version of the Beast. According to the character's history, there has always been a Beast. So, given that B'wana Beast was only the most recent Beast, I think a new Beast would be chosen shortly after Mike Maxwell's death. That's something to think about if (or when) you use this African sub-team of the Global Guardians.

      Chapter 6:

      This story as a whole has been so good that I hate to say anything negative about it, but I think Chapter 6 was the weakest of the chapters. I'm not sure why, but it held my interest a little bit less. It might have been because I'm not very familiar with the post-Crisis characters that you introduced into Earth-One here, or maybe something else. But I did perk up a bit when you used Celsius and Negative Woman here. I think I need things spelled out a bit more for me, though, concerning these characters. Are they still members of the Outsiders, and thus on a "team-up" adventure that briefly takes them away from the team, or do you intend for them to join the Global Guardians full-time? Of course, a third option is for them to join the Global Guardians but remain as members of the Outsiders, especially since the Global Guardians is such a loose-knit team that could potentially involve any hero on the globe.

      (Speaking of which, I really want to see Sinbad, the hero of the Middle East that you so tantalizingly mentioned in an earlier story. The Middle East has always been short-changed as far as heroes goes, so it would be good to see some positive portrayals of Muslim heroes. I think there's a member of the Green Arrows of the World who wore a turban, too -- the Archer of Arabia. Now there's a team-up idea in the making.)

      Chapter 7:

      I thought this was the most daring chapter of all, and the one that was the real game-changer. Morgaine le Fey is a fantastic villainess, of course, and a natural foe for Doctor Mist. But having Mist finally sacrifice his immortality and all or most of his powerful magic was a good use of the character, who for centuries has been paralyzed by inaction. Now, I hope to see Doctor Mist appear in a more involved way with the Global Guardians. He shouldn't be turned into the bureaucrat that he became in the Post-Crisis DCU, but a formidable player in the history of the DCU.

      I'm not sure if you know this, but I wrote a new epilogue to the Secret Origins story for the Global Guardians that I and Martin wrote, based on the Super Friends three-part story that introduced most of the international heroes. In that epilogue, I established that the founder of the Club of Heroes, John Mayhew, was actually an "agent" of sorts for Doctor Mist. I wanted to establish that Mist has been planning to create his network of Global Guardians for decades, if not centuries. In fact, I think an exploration of his history might show that Doctor Mist has had non-powered agents throughout the world acting in his place for a lot longer than we might think, and far longer than the age of the superhero.

      Anyway, thank you for this thought-provoking and entertaining story. I love that it adds so much to the international makeup of Earth-One, and you have really thrown down a challenge for me to continue on with the Earth-Two international super-team until that's a reality as well.

      --
      Cheers,
      Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

      www.5earths.info

    • lawrenceliberty

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4 12:42 PM
          I agree that this is a wonderful story to read!  One of your African heroines seems a lot like
          Vixen, being a fashion model.  I was really glad to see Silver Swan turned into a super
          heroine.  Also, I did an edit while reading.  Both word usage and formatting.  Would you
          care to see what I did for this story?  Also, you haven't answered my question re your
          Lois Lane story.

          SteveZ

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16 5:08 PM
            An epic tale, Libby! And one that adds a lot of new toys to the toybox for the writers here.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 17 12:35 PM

               Thank you!

              --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, <earth1afterthecrisis@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              An epic tale, Libby! And one that adds a lot of new toys to the toybox for the writers here.

              --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, szink22446@... wrote:

              > I agree that this is a wonderful story to read! One of your African heroines seems a lot like
              > Vixen, being a fashion model. I was really glad to see Silver Swan turned into a super
              > heroine. Also, I did an edit while reading. Both word usage and formatting. Would you
              > care to see what I did for this story? Also, you haven't answered my question re your
              > Lois Lane story.
              >
              > SteveZ

            • johnreiter902
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 24 6:41 PM
                I'm curies. The Global Guardians no longer seem to have a fixed membership, just whoever Dr. Mist summons from around the world. Most countries are developing their own heroic eras. Dr. Mist has lost most of his powers. So, has the Global Guardians ceased to exist as an actual team, and become just a term for Earth's heroes? If so, maybe that french superhero team the Defenders could appropriate the Guardians former HG the Dome in Paris as their own headquarters. We don't know much about that team. If the Paladins have their own headquarters, so should the Defenders.