Global Guardians The Eternal Problem 1

  • lawrenceliberty
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2013
      1

      Brasilia, Brazil

      Beatrix Da Costa stood up and slowly pushed her chair away
      from her desk. She nodded in satisfaction as she glanced down at the orderly
      surface of her large desk. She was happy to be back in her old position as
      C.E.O. of the Brazilian branch of Wayne Enterprises where she was
      well-respected as one of the most capable young businesswomen of her
      generation.

      She adjusted the collar of her designer suit and smiled as
      she gazed out the large office window to glimpse the brilliant reflecting pool
      in front of the Itamaraut Palace.   She
      enjoyed being in the heart of the city where landmarks like the Palace were
      within view of the business and embassy districts.

      “It has been a long and busy day but as the old saying goes,
      a sleeping fox catches no meat! I am glad to be back home. I feel like myself
      again for the first time in far too long!” she thought.

      She turned away from the view and smiled winningly at her
      reflection in the small mirror that rested on one of her shelves.

      She was a beautiful woman with luxurious black hair and dark
      eyes. For a moment she looked into the mirror as if she expected to see someone
      else entirely.

      “I am acting like a little girl but then again after that
      strange adventure last week I have some reason to question what I see in such
      mirrors!”

      She referred to the fact that in her costumed role as the
      Brazilian heroine Green Fury, she had experienced a dangerous and life
      –altering mystical adventure upon first returning to the home she had been away
      from during her time as a member of the Conglomerate!

      *See upcoming story- Green Fury-Mirror Mirror!

      Beatrix frowned as the image in the mirror actually did
      change until it depicted a weird but familiar visage!   A regal if oddly somber visage gazed back at
      her. The black man’s eyes were intelligent and weary and he carried himself
      like the king he truly was.   He was known
      to Beatrix from past adventures as the mysterious ancient monarch of the lost
      African kingdom of Kor who now called himself Dr. Mist!

      “There is a dangerous menace at large in the world once
      more. Sinister forces are at play and threaten all we hold dear. I appear
      before you to ask for your help. You are needed to gather other champions and
      to embark upon a quest to locate and protect certain sources of magical power
      lest they fall into the clutches of those who would cast this world into
      darkness merely to empower themselves!” he said in a stentorian tone of voice.

      “Of course, I will help you! I returned here in part to
      protect my countrymen!” she said.

      She pressed one hand to her head as the image faded and more
      specific images raced across her mind.

      “Espiritu Pampa! I sense he wants me to journey to the
      legendary Sacred Valley itself!” she whispered.

      This type of magical communication was a common tactic of
      the magician’s. Dr. Mist was powerful but he was burdened with certain personal
      concerns about the possibility that use of his magic powers would inevitably
      lead to abuse of said abilities. Thus, he merely made use of a vast global
      network of agents who obeyed his orders when and if he made them known via
      methods like telepathy or magical visions.

      Mystical encounters were not new to the young
      executive.   Years before Beatrix had been
      granted magical powers that enabled her to transform her appearance and
      generate mystical fire that burned hot or cold depending upon her mental
      command. She gained these powers from a wise Shaman who encouraged her to use
      them for the good of all mankind. She adopted the costume role of the emerald
      haired Green Fury and had used the gifts to fight crime in her native Brazil.
      Upon the Shaman’s death, she had again vowed to honor the Shaman’s wishes once
      more by becoming the heroine he imagined she could become!

        She concentrated and
      her designer suit and heels became a green and gold costume as her black hair
      and eyes became equally green. She opened the window and generated a fiery
      plasma that lifted her skyward and carried her over the city.

      Her eyes flashed as she made a casual use of her “dazzle”
      power to conceal herself from any possible onlookers below.

      “Creating the illusion that I am not here will secure my
      identity. I do not wish to allow others except allies like Dr. Mist to know my
      secret identity.”

      She had only regained her original illusion casting power
      during the “Mirror” adventure and she was pleased to have the additional
      ability at her disposal. She was also a capable fighter since Batman himself
      had given her lessons in self-defense.

      As she made her way across the sky she spotted a gleaming
      sky craft of advanced design.

      “We certainly had nothing so grand when I was in the
      Conglomerate!” she thought.

      An electronically distorted voice echoed from the ship!

      “Green Fury!   You are
      a welcome sight! Please join us! We are crusaders on a common quest!”

      She flew side the strange ship as a side panel slide open.

      Once inside she recognized several of the colorful costumed
      figures who resided within.

      A tall man in a scaly costume and hood of orange and blue
      smiled at her and gestured for her to come closer.

      “Green Fury, it has been too long! I suppose our last
      meeting was during the curious case of the reanimated Aztecs!” he said.

      “Bushmaster! You are correct! I assume Dr. Mist summoned you
      all as well!” she said slowly as she listened to the scientific genius from
      Venezuela.

      Bushmaster (Bernal Rojas) was a wealthy man who balanced the
      demands of his business career with a passion for social justice and a love of
      reptiles.   He had used his scientific
      acumen to create the cybernetic suit that allowed him to mimic any number of
      reptilian attributes while dressed as the heroic champion of the beleaguered
      and corrupt streets of Venezuela.

      Before he could speak, haughty beauty in a brief gold and
      purple costume interrupted and said, “You do not need another ally. You have
      been blessed with the Princess of the Golden Sun herself! I, Princess Tlaca,
      will enable you to defeat the threat Dr. Mist mentioned. Surely, those of you
      here at hand will merely be required to witness and worship my divine beauty!”
      she said.

      A suave figure in a green and gold costume with a flared
      bolero jacket and a bandana that covered the upper half of his face bowed low
      and reached for her hand.

      “Your beauty truly surpasses its own legend! I am charmed to
      have a senorita of such accomplishments to adorn my mission! I am Argentina’s
      humble defender the Gaucho!”

      Green Fury frowned as she said, “You are not the Gaucho. At
      least, you certainly aren’t the one I call my friend! He trained me in various
      combat tactics so I know him well!”

      He shrugged and frowned expressively as he said, “I fear our
      mutual ally the original Gaucho was not able to undertake this quest but while
      I am not his equal and in truth have much to do to wash away my past failings,
      I have his blessing and I would be honored to have your esteem!”

      The new Gaucho frowned as he realized once again that
      filling in for a legendary national hero would not be easy. He also carried a
      deep regret for past actions which his suave and flamboyant mannerism could not
      fully conceal. He had once been a master assassin for the criminal organization
      known as the Cartel; however, a swift defeat at the hands of the original
      Wonder Woman had left him in prison with plenty of time to ponder the error of
      his ways. He had been given a new direction when the original Gaucho visited
      him in his cell and began what would prove to be a rewarding friendship.

      “You have used my name in a way that brings shame to me.
      While in our native Argentina, the name Gaucho is associated with heroism and
      sacrifice, you have made it the name of a murderer outside our home.   I want to know what drives a man of your
      obvious abilities to waste such skill as a common butcher!”

      With those heartfelt words the original Gaucho had initiated
      what would turn out to be a genuine friendship between the two men and under
      his guidance, the hero would help the killer walk a path of reformation!

      Bushmaster said, “Fury, this Gaucho is new to me as well but
      he has begun well as our old friend’s successor. The papers have been full of
      his exploits.   As for Princess Tlaca, she
      is the proud heir to the ancient glory of the Aztec culture. Her powers are
      remarkable …as is her ego!” he added in a whispered tone of voice.

      Princess Tlaca pouted silently as Green Fury said, “Who is
      flying the plane?”

      The electronic voice that had first welcomed her aboard
      echoed again from the front of the strange craft as Green Fury noticed a wall
      panel slide to one side to reveal a man in green and red armor.

      “I am Iman. I do my best to protect Mexico. This craft is my
      design and I am honored to carry heroes and heroines like you to the Sacred
      Valley of ancient Vilcabamba!”

      Iman   (Dr. Diego Irigoyen)
      was world famous as one of the greatest scientific prodigies of his generation.
      He was a brilliant scientist and the second astronaut from come from Mexico.
      His amazing armored costume was merely one of his weapons against the kind of
      senseless crime that had cost the young man his own mother after a kidnapper
      had murdered her.

      He said, “We all received the same magical message although
      I am not sure what secrets still remain in the so-called Lost City of the
      Incas! After all, Dr. Deyermenjian and his Explorer’s Club allies have
      documented the findings quite thoroughly.”

      Princess Tlaca looked up sullenly and said, “My people have
      long enjoyed seclusion from the taint of the modern world as your kind would
      describe it! If we may still benefit from such isolation, who is to say that
      other presumed lost cultures may not do the exact same?”

      Bushmaster said, “The Princess comes from a city deep in the
      jungles that has been lost to time in some ways in that it still cherishes many
      customs associated with the ancient Aztecs!”

      Iman said, “We are now directly above the ruins of what may
      well have once been Vilcabamba the final known refuge of the Incas! Although
      time and the necessary excavation process conducted by men like Dr.
      Deyermenjian have altered it, I would say it still retains its original
      construction to a remarkable degree!”

      The Gaucho said, “You are correct! In fact, it is apparently
      transforming before our eyes! It’s as if we were travelling back through time
      itself to the era when the Incas thrived!”

      As they landed near the ruins, the dust of history seemed to
      wash away and where faded ruins rested moments before now emerged a large city
      with temples, water ways, bridges, and raised terraces!

      Green Fury gasped as she emerged from the plane.

      “Magic is certainly at work here!” she said.

      Iman said, “While the rational, thinking man I pride myself
      on being would disagree, I have seen too many supernatural occurrences to
      argue!”

      Princess Tlaca smiled. She actually liked these heroes and
      she enjoyed receiving adulation from the common people. She had once been
      branded a criminal because of her harsh insistence on restoration of the
      ancient ways but time served with a government sponsored Task Force had altered
      her views. She was still arrogant and quick tempered but she was becoming more
      of a heroine than she had ever been in the past.

      “Iman, you will gain true awareness if you will merely
      strive to see with eyes of faith!” she said.

      Bushmaster said, “I agree but what we are all seeing is not
      magic nor is it an effect from time travel! My enhanced senses allow me to see
      through what is nothing more than a powerful illusion!”

      He gasped as a bolt of blazing energy struck him from what
      appeared to be empty space.

      Iman mentally adjusted his own sensors and scowled as he
      detected the heat signatures of five invisible figures!

      “We are not alone and as he said, this city is still one of
      ruins not of magical restoration! Someone seeks to trick us with an illusion
      that the old city stands anew!”

      As Bushmaster regained his footing, he thought, “Thank
      goodness, my costume’s exo-skeleton allows me to resist electricity!”

      Iman said, “Computer, identify our assailants- facial
      recognition and Interpol records access!”

      He nodded slowly as the five villains suddenly appeared as
      their concealment vanished,

      “They know we are here. Drop your illusion!” said a sultry
      Indian woman in a brief white and gold costume and a horned turban.

      The surroundings suddenly returned to normal as ancient
      ruins and a narrow pool replaced the illusion of a grand kingdom!

      The interior of Iman’s armored helmet displayed the
      following data stream:   “Jinx, Mammoth,
      Shimmer… known as Fearsome Five! Additional figures known as Deuce and Charger.”

      “They are the Fearsome Five. Some of them fought the
      Titans!” he announced.

      Jinx smiled cruelly as she said, “And now we shall kill
      you!”
    • lawrenceliberty

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2013
          Good beginning of an adventure for heroes from south of the border.