Re: Superboy: Delusions of Grandeur - Part I

  • starsky_hutch76
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
      very cool start!

      --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, "Christian J" <manomight1974@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > He wasn't even aware of the strangely clad man with the skull face. All Superboy knew was blackness, nothingness.
      >
      > That feeling of nothingness seemed to last forever, until finally, his eyes snapped wide open. But when he awoke he wasn't in the woods any longer, nor was he wearing his trademark red and blue super-suit. He found himself laying in a nondescript cot with dingy blankets that was situated in an equally dingy and darkened room. The walls were cinder blocks, painted with a medium gray that attempted to disguise the fact that they were in fact just cinder blocks. He looked around the room. There was no window, very little furniture other than a chair, the cot, a plain dresser, and a simple nightstand with a small lamp on it. Instinctively, Superboy grabbed for his glasses, which to his surprise he found in their case on the nightstand. None of this made any sense.
      >
      > Clark stood up, and stepped over to the ordinary brown door and reached for the handle but after tugging at it, found it to be locked from the outside. He gently tried to twist the handle with his super-strength to force the lock, but strangely enough found that he had no super-strength…it was gone.
      >
      > From just outside he heard footsteps coming towards the door and the jingling of keys as one was inserted into lock. He heard the tumblers click and unlock as the key was turned, and instinctively Clark stepped back, not knowing what he was about to encounter. The door slowly swung inwards, and a dark form in the shape of a man stepped inside and flicked on the lights. Clark was not prepared for what he saw when the room became fully illuminated. Standing before him, wearing the same wire-rimmed glasses and white lab coat that Superboy had seen him in back at S.R.A. was Dr. Hunter Samuels.
      >
      > "Doctor Samuels?" Clark was not sure what was going on.
      >
      > "Good morning, Clark. How are you feeling today?" Dr. Samuels still looked the same, with the same genial smile and inviting look in his eyes that he had before.
      >
      > "Fine, I guess. Where am I?"
      >
      > "Come now, Clark. This is your room. You live here."
      >
      > "Okay, but where is here?"
      >
      > Dr. Samuels chuckled. "Clark, this is Summerholt Institution."
      >
      > "Is this some kind of a hospital?"
      >
      > Dr. Samuels chuckled again. "You might say that, Clark. We are a very special kind of hospital. We help people who have a problem dealing with their own reality. We help them to readjust themselves to the world around them."
      >
      > "What are you talking about?"
      >
      > "Clark, I don't want to be blunt with you, but you had a severe nervous breakdown six months ago."
      >
      > "What?"
      >
      > "You tried to jump out the window of Smallville high school. You kept screaming that you could fly and you were really called Superboy, but we are going to help you and make you better."

    • Christian J
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
        Thanks, Starsky. I'm glad you liked it. Clark is really in for a devil of a time with this one...and the WORST is yet to come. You guys ain't seen nothing yet.

        Chris

        --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, starsky_hutch76 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > "Fine, I guess. Where am I?"
        > >
        > > "Come now, Clark. This is your room. You live here."
        > >
        > > "Okay, but where is here?"
        > >
        > > Dr. Samuels chuckled. "Clark, this is Summerholt Institution."
        > >
        > > "Is this some kind of a hospital?"
        > >
        > > Dr. Samuels chuckled again. "You might say that, Clark. We are a very special kind of hospital. We help people who have a problem dealing with their own reality. We help them to readjust themselves to the world around them."
        > >
        > > "What are you talking about?"
        > >
        > > "Clark, I don't want to be blunt with you, but you had a severe nervous breakdown six months ago."
        > >
        > > "What?"
        > >
        > > "You tried to jump out the window of Smallville high school. You kept screaming that you could fly and you were really called Superboy, but we are going to help you and make you better."

      • dave barnowski
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
          Well now there's an interesting beginning
          Dave

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
            Dave, are we talking interesting good, or interesting bad?

            Chris

            --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, dave barnowski <onlydavb@...> wrote:

            > Well now there's an interesting beginning
            > Dave

          • dave barnowski
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
              good for a story, bad for Clark, and  I also wonder how Krypto was taken out
              Dave

              --- In mailto:Earth1AftertheCrisis%40yahoogroups.com, dave barnowski <onlydavb@...> wrote:

              > Well now there's an interesting beginning
              > Dave

            • Christian J
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
                Now, Dave...THAT would be telling.

                :P

                Chris

                --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, dave barnowski <onlydavb@...> wrote:

                > good for a story, bad for Clark, and  I also wonder how Krypto was taken out
                > Dave

              • ddswanson
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                  OK. Let's drive Superboy crazy. Or, maybe, Chris, you can reveal that the whole DC universe was a Clark Kent dream! There never were any heroes or villains or parallel universes or Superbaby or ancient, bearded Superman. Clark dreamed it all!

                • Christian J
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                    Well, Dan, you are just going to have to wait and see what develops.

                    Chris

                    --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, "ddswanson" <ddswanson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > "Fine, I guess. Where am I?"
                    > >
                    > > "Come now, Clark. This is your room. You live here."
                    > >
                    > > "Okay, but where is here?"
                    > >
                    > > Dr. Samuels chuckled. "Clark, this is Summerholt Institution."
                    > >
                    > > "Is this some kind of a hospital?"
                    > >
                    > > Dr. Samuels chuckled again. "You might say that, Clark. We are a very special kind of hospital. We help people who have a problem dealing with their own reality. We help them to readjust themselves to the world around them."
                    > >
                    > > "What are you talking about?"
                    > >
                    > > "Clark, I don't want to be blunt with you, but you had a severe nervous breakdown six months ago."
                    > >
                    > > "What?"
                    > >
                    > > "You tried to jump out the window of Smallville high school. You kept screaming that you could fly and you were really called Superboy, but we are going to help you and make you better."

                  • The Time Trust
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 22, 2012
                      Finally got around to reading this. Very good beginning to what should prove to be a great story! I like the concept, and I like the mystery that you're building here.

                      Also, great to see SRA, the predecessor of STAR Labs. They must have changed their name sometime in the 1970s. At first your Dr. Samuels made me think of Dr. Albert Michaels, who became the Atomic Skull and fought Superman, but different name, obviously.

                      With the mention of Soames Reformatory, I was expecting Luthor to show up, but this seems like some new threat. Can't wait to find out what or who it is!

                      --
                      Cheers,
                      Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

                      www.5earths.info

                    • The Time Trust
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 22, 2012
                        Clark Kent is the ultimate fanfic writer!

                        --

                      • Christian J
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 23, 2012
                          Glad you liked it, Doc.

                          I try to always bring in things that were already established facts in the DCU (before the 85 Abomination), and SRA is one of them. Samuels will play a big part in what is going on, and that is all i will say...for now.

                          Chris