JLA: The Martian Chronicles 8

  • libbyblawrence
    Message 1 of 50 , Jun 1, 2011
      Captain Comet had made a brief stop at the small community of Midwest City. He had felt a strange overwhelming nostalgia for the place he lived during the early 1950's and something had compelled him to return there before joining Nubia and J'Onn on their own mission. He knew the speed of the Cometeer would enable him to join them easily enough.

      He wore a simple dark suit and smiled pleasantly as he met various passersby.

      "The folks here are okay now but they all lived through a rather sinister plan by my old enemies the Plasmen. I can't believe those inhuman fiends took over ever citizen and kept them in an ageless stasis for decades in an effort to strike at me! I didn't even return to Earth until long after their plan was put into motion! I suppose the important thing is that all of the locals are free and haven't aged since the fifties! That weird plot enabled them to acquire a new lease on life and it also provided me a chance to reunite with my cousin Zinda! I wish I had time to see her but at least we managed to chat before I got here!"

      The brown haired man took one final walk down Main Street as if he was memorizing every detail of the quaint town. He sighed as he recalled his first stop an hour earlier. Visiting the graves of my parents and of Professor Zackro didn't give me the sense of peace I usually associate with paying my respects to them. I have not really felt very well since the Marshall passed those memories on to me. Surely my mutant metabolism would have shaken off any alien virus I might have picked up on Kronis?"

      He left the town and found his rocket where he had concealed it within an old barn.

      Moments later he had soared over the community and made his way toward Utah where he had pledged to meet Wonder Woman and the Martian Manhunter.

      He guided his rocket skillfully down to where Nubia and J'Onn stood waiting beside the salt flats.

      "Well met, Adam!" cried Nubia as he landed the ship on the deserted and barren plains and emerged to join the heroes.

      Captain Comet smiled in return and said, "I hope I didn't keep you two waiting too long. I had some personal business to take care of first!"

      J'Onn said, "We understand. We each did the same! I know you realize that you do not need to join us on what may be a perilous mission but we appreciate your valor as always."

      Comet said, "Like I said, I sort of started this whole thing!"

      J'Onn smiled and said, "Thank you! If you will excuse the colloquialism, our ride is here!"

      He gestured beyond the clear field to where a ghostly outline of a strange structure was slowly materializing!

      "Great Guns! Even though you told me about the shifting city seeing is believing!" he said.
      Nubia cried, "Great Hera! It reminds me of my own lost land!"

      She referred to her home island which had the capability of moving through dimensional space and time. It was lost to her now but she had made peace with the loss since she knew her subjects would one day have a bright civilization and a brave champion.

      The weird building loomed overhead and became completely solid. The large windows were devoid of glass but in some ways the old structure looked like a forgotten or neglected old church.

      J'Onn said, "Nubia has had more than her share of experience of late with geography that moves of its own accord but her experiences with Marzal were perfect preparation for this unique place! In brief this building originated on new Mars when that planet was known as Vonn. The original inhabitants fled the planet when invaders known as the Thythen came! The natives literally shifted all matter into what we might call radio waves and transmitted their home and populace to another world. One old building was caught in a distortion field and since that time has annually shifted between Vonn and Earth among other destinations! Superman once found himself transported to Vonn by entering that building!"

      They entered the gaping doorway and waited as the building's brief time on Earth drew to a close.

      "The JLA made certain the area was secured by the authorities in order to prevent homeless people from trying to sleep in the building and then awakening on another planet! I called them and cleared our planned visit before we arrived!" said J'Onn as he gestured to a small guard station located along the horizon.

      The building faded from view and in seconds the trio found themselves on the planet now called New Mars!

      "My people avoid the area where the building rests. It has certain associations that your people might refer to as ghost stories. That is why it is a perfect means of a quick and unobserved means of reaching New Mars from Earth! Superman, myself, and only one other person knew of its properties!" he said.

      Nubia stared out at a lovely sky dominated by twin moons.

      "New Mars has a stark beauty all its own! I think your people made a wise choice in settling here!" she said.

      J'Onn took her hand and said, "We worked very hard for years to use the natural resources found here and our own Martian science to cultivate a more habitable environment. It is not the Mars I knew but it will suffice!"

      He added, "We should be able to slip into the nearest settlement after dark and I may learn if the remnants of the Brotherhood are active as we suspect!"

      Nubia frowned as she pointed toward the seemingly deserted desert!

      "I fear our arrival was not as secret as we might have wished! We are under attack!"

      She pointed to several hulking shapes that slowly lumbered into view and began to march toward the building.

      "Bio- Bots! I thought those monstrosities had been destroyed but clearly I was wrong!" said J'Onn!
    • dave barnowski
      Message 50 of 50 , Jun 10, 2011
        Bravo!!
        Dave