The Secret Origin of Space Ranger! 1

  • lawrenceliberty
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 12, 2010
      1

      July 2158

      The luxury space liner Comet was famous for offering its wealthy passengers any legal amusement cosmic credits could buy. Venusian ambrosia poured from an ornate fountain in the middle of the ballroom and senso-tapes were readily available for the stimulation of those who preferred other kinds of entertainment. A neo-Jazz band played loudly from the hovering mobile bandstand and elegantly clad dancers could be seen throughout the multi-leveled room on swirling anti-grav platforms. While other passengers dined, drank, and danced merrily, a handsome young man with a serious expression, dark hair, and intelligent eyes barely managed to disguise his overwhelming boredom!

      Rick Starr yawned and shook his head. "Sizzling suns! For a pleasure voyage from New York's Earthport to the North American Space Station, this has to be the dullest trip I've ever taken! What I wouldn't give to be back in my lab outside Marscity or racing my air car over the Burning Sands of Mars!"

      "I guess I better get used to being bored! This liner may have been named after one of the greatest space heroes of the twentieth century but there's nothing exciting about it. Of course, Dad wouldn't have booked my passage at all if this trip promised to offer me anything more than a boring routine! Once we reach the station, I `m to meet with the Board of Directors and discuss new options for our nukl-engine program," he thought.

      He referred to Thaddeus Starr, the celebrated C.E.O. of their family company, Allied Solar Enterprises. A.S.E. was perhaps the largest company in the known solar system. Rick was proud of his father and they had a very close relationship; however, the elder Starr didn't really understand his son nor could the business giant envision any future for the bright and athletic Rick that didn't revolve around the corporate world.

      "We employ billions of sentient beings on over two dozen planets. Our holdings include plutonium factories on Lunar Base and underwater hydro-atomic units on Venus. We hold patents on the 22-23-T ambuquad robot and the atmo gun to name only two of hundreds. All of this will be yours when I'm gone. It is time you stopped wasting time with Joe Jones and Dr. Pedri. They work for us. Our role is to manage the company. I don't want you spending so much time with our hire help!"

      Rick had heard that speech or some version of it for years. Thaddeus Starr couldn't understand that his only son preferred doing things for himself to merely acting as a lofty executive removed from the daily work in the company labs and engineering division.

      Rick sighed as he stood up from the table and began to walk away from the center of the room.

      He looked up for a moment at a glistening jewel that hung suspended in the air over the central dance area.

      "The Heart of Ganymede is a rare treasure but I'd give it away for a chance at doing something meaningful with my life! Making credits for the family company doesn't appeal to me at all. I want something more out of life! I need something wealth can't buy!" he thought.

      He neared the side exit and stepped aside, nodding politely as drunken newcomers swayed unsteadily into the room.

      "I wish I could be content with this kind of life like them but I can't! Settling down to a corporate routine will please Dad but it sure won't make my life into what I want it to be! With his health so fragile, I can't risk upsetting him or I'd simply tell him I'm going to live my own life!" he thought.

      He smiled momentarily as a beautiful blonde girl walked by. She wore the sparkly mini-dress all the Comet's hostesses wore but her combination of delicate beauty and vibrant personality made her stand out from the others.

      "What a woman! She could easily have been Miss Cosmos with legs like those!" he thought.

      Rick frowned as the ballroom doors crashed open and a group of colorful figures raced inside.

      "Space pirates? Could I be this lucky?" he thought.
    • ddswanson
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 25, 2010
        What a neat idea!