LSH In the Return of the Butcher

  • Dave Barnowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2009
      This chapter has an assist from the Five Earths Project writher
      Drivtaan. I wasn't quite capturing one of my favorite newer
      Legionnaires: Quislet correctly so I asked him to write the sequence
      involving him/she/it and Marte Allon. Enjoy, I know I did.
      Dave

      Chapter 11

      Brainiac 5 arrived at the Legion of Super-Heroes Headquarter with the
      retired United Planets Admiral, and father of the Legionnaire known
      as Colossal Boy, Winn Allon. He wanted to go directly to his lab;
      where he and the admiral could go directly his lab to combat the
      virus that was infecting the entire United Planets communication
      grid. The Militia communications network had crashed completely n
      hour ago. Brainiac 5 estimated that the Up's civilian government
      system had about five hours, the commercial network would fall ninety
      minutes after that, and the system he had devised for the Legion-one
      also based on Alkia Seltzius's designs had about three hours longer
      before it too collapsed. He therefore wanted to devote all his time
      to solving the problem.

      The Legion Leader Shadow Lass had other ideas. She was on her way out
      to collect retired Magistrate Thom Jordon-Loring. Jordon-Loring had
      been the sentencing judge at Alkia Seltzius's trial, and as such he
      would be as much a legitimate target of the Bismollian Butchers quest
      for revenge as any of the Legionnaires (or their loved ones) who
      caught her. Shady explained that there were no other Legionnaires
      available on Earth to protect the man.

      "So send the Science Police Shady. I have to fix this problem with
      the communications grid Shady."

      "Brainy I can't do that. We can't just protect our families first and
      then leave the rest of the populous to the protection of the SP's
      against a supervillain powerful enough to kill a Daxamite."

      Brainiac 5 stared at the blue-skinned beauty who had long ago won the
      heart of the Legion's most powerful member. He was once Legion Leader
      too and he remembered that part of that job was public relation and
      working with the government. Shady was right; if the Legion didn't
      treat Judge Thon Jordon-Loring the same as they did their families,
      the legion could lose some of the trust they had built up over the
      years. Brainy shook his head silently in agreement with Shady. "I'll
      transfer the mission monitor board to one of my consoles in the lab.
      But Shady please hurry back because I'm not that good at multi-
      tasking."

      "You can do it Brainy" assured The Legion Leader. In her private
      thoughts she was glad that Brainy had this other task as the man
      often became obsessive when it came to solving problems or projects
      in his lab. She was also glad that Admiral Allon was going to be with
      him for his sake. "Quislet's the only Legionnaire on Earth I haven't
      heard from."

      "Whose he supposed to pick up" asked Brainiac 5.

      "Marte Allon" responded Shadow Lass right before she flew away.

      She didn't see Brainiac 5 wince at that piece of information. He knew
      that the one Legionnaire sure to irritate the former President of
      Earth no end was Quislet.

      Marte Allon glanced at a security screen before opening her door to
      her office. After serving as Earth's president, both the government
      and the Legion preferred that she have some kind of protection, both
      at home and here at the university. She saw what appeared to be a
      miniature spacecraft.

      "May I help you?" she asked, using the speaker system.

      "Quislet legionnaire come rescue Colossal Boy's mom. Keep former
      president from becoming former sentient. Quislet come in now?"

      "Most certainly not," Marte said. "I don't need to be rescued."

      "Quislet come in now."

      "Maybe you didn't understand me," the woman said. "I said no."

      Quislet's ship drifted closer to the door.

      Marte watched the monitor, unsure of what the legionnaire was
      planning. When a small burst of energy emerged from the craft,
      touched the door, and then re-entered the ship, Marte took a step
      back.

      "Quislet come in now. Rescue teammate's mother. Step back from
      door please. Go, go, go."

      Marte quickly moved away from the door. A second later, the door
      exploded, setting off several alarms--including on at Legion
      Headquarters.

      "Quislet, what's going on?"

      Monitor duty had fallen to Brainiac 5 during this time. He ran his
      fingers through his hair as he waited for the legionnaire's reply.
      His 12th-level mind strongly suspected things were OK, but when it
      came to his teammate's whimsical and chaotic nature, he wasn't sure.

      "Quislet come in. Door exploded. Wowee! Sounds like fun party
      here."

      Marte heard the exchange and called out to Brainiac 5. "What is
      going on?" she demanded to know.

      "Quislet was supposed to escort you to a place of safety, Mrs.
      Allon," Brainiac 5 told her. "Your husband is with me."

      "My high-security office door just exploded, thanks to this
      floating food synthesizer," Marte said. "I think I was safer before
      my "rescuer" arrived."

      "Quislet rescuer. We go to Legion Academy now. Go, go, go."

      Marte was reassured of the urgency of Quislet's mission by
      Brainiac 5, so she agreed to accompany the legionnaire. Before he
      signed off and headed back to his work, however, the woman did have a
      final message for the Coluan.

      "Make certain this door is repaired," she said, "immediately."

      Brainy looked at Marte Allon's husband, who in turn shrugged his
      shoulders. "Please let your wife know that we'll contact the
      appropriate people after the emergency is over Admiral."
    • Drivtaan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20, 2009
        I think we did a good job on this, Dave.

        Lee

      • dave barnowski
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2009
          Agreed Lee