Play Dead (Prologue)

  • harveykent
    Message 1 of 93 , Jul 23, 2008
      Donna Zurmuehl would often sum up her job in a single word: boring.
      Donna worked the midnight to 8:00 a.m. shift at the toll plaza on
      the Seeglecaine Bridge, connecting Metropolis and Gotham City. Few
      people used the bridge at those hours, so Donna's job mainly
      consisted of reading magazines. Of course, the disillusioned thirty-
      three year-old would sum up her entire life with the same word; she
      often wondered just when her life had changed, where that point was
      where the optimistic high-school student with her whole life in
      front of her had become a clock-watcher, counting the days
      until...well, until something.

      The shine of headlights startled Donna out of her wool-gathering. A
      car was approaching; of course she couldn't tell what kind of car,
      all she could see was headlights until the car was at the toll
      booth. Donna yawned and sat up straight on her stool, ready to
      collect the driver's money.

      "Two dollars, please," Donna said, with a half-hearted attempt to
      keep the boredom out of her voice, as the car pulled up alongside
      the booth.

      "Here you are," the driver said, handing Donna a five dollar bill.
      The driver was a pleasant-looking man, chubby and apple-cheeked,
      with little round-lenses spectacles balanced on his nose. He had a
      wide, chipper grin on his face, even at the ungodly hour of three in
      the morning.

      "Out of five," Donna said, opening the change drawer.

      "Please keep the change," the man smiled.

      "Thank you," Donna said with a reciprocal smile. This was
      rare! "Welcome to Gotham City."

      "Thank you, miss," the cheerful-looking man said with a nod, and
      drove on his way.

      As Donna put the three singles into the pocket of her canvas uniform
      pants, she couldn't help but think that there was something familiar
      about the driver. Like she had seen his face before, but not in
      person; on TV, or something. She realized that he looked a lot like
      that new announcer on "The Price Is Right", the one who took over
      when Johnny Olson died; that was probably it.

      Donna turned back to her newspaper, turned a page to finish the
      article was reading. She saw an advertisement for a big sale at We-R-
      Toys.

      Then she called the police.
    • Dan Swanson
      Message 93 of 93 , Aug 11, 2008
        Has there ever been a team up you haven't liked?

        Dan

        --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, Drivtaan <drivtaan@...>