Let No Man Put Asunder (Prologue)

  • harveykent
    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 2, 2007
      Astra Country Club sits on seventy-three acres of land just outside
      Star City. It boasts a huge golf course, immaculately maintained; two
      Olympic-sized swimming pools; eight tennis courts, with instruction
      available from four professional instructors (two of whom former
      Wimbledon champions); and banquet facilities prepared to cater to a
      member's every whim.

      Even former members, whose memberships have lapsed due to reversals
      in personal fortune, are sometimes welcomed by this most exclusive of
      institutions.

      "Good afternoon, sir, madam," the tuxedoed usher said with a
      smile. "Friends of the groom, or friends of the bride?"

      "Both, actually," the handsome young man said. "But we've known the
      groom longer."

      "Yes, sir--say, I know you!" the usher declared.

      "Oh?" Bruce Wayne said, cocking an eyebrow.

      "Well, not personally, of course," the usher explained, "but I've
      seen you on the news! You're Bruce Wayne, the billionaire from Gotham
      City!"

      "Guilty as charged," Bruce admitted.

      "Your fame does tend to walk in front of you, Bruce," Wayne's
      companion, Silver St. Cloud, said with a sly smile.

      "Please pardon my enthusiasm, Mr. Wayne," the usher said. "It's just
      a surprise, is all. We don't get too many out-of-town celebrities
      here."

      "Mr. Queen and I attended the same prep school," Bruce
      explained. "We're old friends."

      "Of course," the usher said. "Well, I do hope you enjoy the ceremony
      and the reception. The groom's party is on the left."

      "Thank you," Bruce said, and he led Silver into the hall where the
      ceremony was to take place.

      "You must get tired of that," Silver whispered humorously.

      "The price one must pay," Bruce said, patting his companion's arm. It
      was a rare feeling for the Batman, the warm glow he was experiencing
      now. He realized that he was basking in his old friend's happiness.
      Bruce glanced at Silver's lovely face, and smiled in anticipation of
      the next such ceremony he would be attending.
    • Jeff
      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 15, 2007
        I enjoyed this immensely. It really rings true to what these
        characters were about in the Silver Age. The involvement of the
        Thunderbolt was pure genius and there were no doubts that Johnny
        Thunder (E-2) would have wholeheartedly approved due to his friendship
        with Dinah. Definitely worth the wait, Harvey.

        Jeff

        --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, "lawrenceliberty"