Re: Showcase: Terror of the Toyman pt 1

  • mcmaenza
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
      Starsky, I always love a story that starts out with a little visit
      from Neron. Nice job setting this bad-boy up. Can't wait to see
      where it goes.

      Martin
    • libbylawrence
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
        Nice start indeed! By the way it makes me wonder if a guy like Luthor
        would reject Neron with contempt because he simply doesn't need
        such "help." Might be an interesting story.
      • mcmaenza
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
          --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, libbylawrence
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Nice start indeed! By the way it makes me wonder if a guy like Luthor
          > would reject Neron with contempt because he simply doesn't need
          > such "help." Might be an interesting story.

          The pre-Crisis Lex (our Lex) most certainly would reject our Neron -
          both for reasons you mentioned as well as his being so firmly a man of
          science.

          The only reason post-Crisis Lex even agreed to Neron's offer was
          because Lex was in serious need (his clone-body was dying).
        • starsky_hutch76
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
            Thanks, guys! I'm just sorry I wasn't able to get the whole thing up
            on Halloween day.

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
              Clair let out a sigh as she pulled into the driveway beside her
              small house. The lawn was still un-mowed. She had asked Mel everyday
              for the past five days to mow the lawn. Every day he had said he
              would. It made it harder for her to defend him from his detractors
              when he did so little to reassure her faith in him.

              She slammed the door to her old station wagon and walked inside.
              Naturally, the door was unlocked for anyone who might want to get
              in. God forbid Mel should actually go out of his way to protect his
              chosen family.

              "You left the door unlocked," she said sullenly as she walked in,
              finding Mel sitting on the couch in his t-shirt and boxers, eating
              cereal and watching TV.

              "Well, hello to you, too," he said.

              "I've asked you to not do that."

              "Hey, I'm right here if anyone tried to get in," he said.

              "What if they had guns?"

              "Then I'd imagine they could shoot the lock. One deadbolt isn't
              gonna stop anyone who really wanted in."

              Clair sighed. "How about the lawn? I've been asking you to take care
              of that.for days now. I'm sure the neighbors are talking."

              "Ah, I don't care what they think."

              "Maybe you don't, but I do," Claire snapped.

              "Hey, you asked me to find a job, too. How' my supposed to do that
              if I'm out there playing yard boy," Mel said.

              "So you've been looking?"

              "I looked at the want ads, anyway," Mel said. "Didn't see nothin'
              that excited me."

              "You mean you couldn't find anything in all those ads?" Claire
              said. "The Sunday paper is full of jobs!"

              "Not in my field!" he said. "I've got special skills!"

              "Yeah, well the bills are piling up while you're waiting for
              something to come along for those special skills of yours," she
              grumbled.

              "Well, you're doing alright, aren't you?" he said. "Taking the night
              shift for those flex hours is paying pretty good. You keep doing
              that and we should be okay."

              "Self centered jackass," Clair said, storming out of the room."

              "Hey, watch that mouth of yours," Mel called out, looking over his
              shoulder, "so's I don't have to watch it for you."

              Clair let out a sigh as she peaked in on Natalie. Sometimes, it felt
              as if the only sight she got to see of her little girl these days
              was her sleeping head poking out from under the bedsheets. She
              started to slowly close the door when she heard natalie's voice call
              out, "Mom? Is that you?"

              "Yes, Sweetie," Clair said. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."
              She walked in and sat down on the edge of natalie's bed and stroked
              her hair lovingly. "I brought you something." She handed natalie the
              colorful teddy bear with the heart in the center of its white belly.

              A large smile crossed the usually sullen girl's face. Thank you,
              mom!" A serious look crossed her face again. "Mom, when are you
              going to get another job,"

              "What?" Clair said, "startled. "Why would you ask me something like
              that?"

              "I don't like being here with just Mel," Natalie said.

              "We've been through this before," Clair said. You need to learn to
              get along with him. He's going to be your stepfather some day.

              "I sure hope not," Natalie said.

              "Natalie!"

              "But all he does is sit on the couch and drink beer and boss me
              around! And he.."

              "I know things are hard right now, but they'll get better some day,"
              Clair said, leaning down to kiss her on the forehead. "You'll see.
              Now you lay back down and try to get some more rest. You've got
              school tommorrow."

              "But he..."

              "Not another word," Clair said. "You need to get some rest."

              As Clair closed the door, natalie laid her head back down on the
              pillow. Her eyes stayed open, though, as she clutched the bear to
              her. If only her mother would listen to her.
            • starsky_hutch76
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
                Mel looked at his watch. It had been nearly an hour since Clair left
                for the night shift at the prison hospital. She should be pretty far
                away by now, he thought. He pushed the power button on the remote
                control to switch the tv off, sat his beer can on the end table by
                the sofa and rose from the couch, heading towards natalie's room.

                The door slid open and natalie let out a sigh as her head raised up
                and she saw Mel's silhouette in the doorway. She burroughed her head
                further into the covers, trying to pretend to be asleep. it was too
                late, though. He had already seen her looking at him.

                Mel walked over, rested his hands on the side of her bed and
                said, "Wakie wakie. C'mon, I know you're not asleep, so drop the
                charade."

                "Go away, Mel," Natalie said.

                "What's it going to take for you to start calling me Daddy," Mel
                said.

                "You're not my Daddy," Natalie said. "And I didn't call him daddy. I
                called him Dad. daddy is for babies," Natalie said.

                "That's right," Mel said. "And you're a big girl. Old enough to take
                on big girl responsibilities."

                A feeling of dread came into Natalie's stomach. She knew where the
                conversation was going.

                "You're Mom is a busy woman. So she's let a lot of things around
                here slide at home. There are things she used to do for me that she
                doesn't do any longer. It's time for you to step up and be the woman
                of the house now."

                Natalie rose up and said sharply, "I told you I don't want to play
                the married game with you, Mel!"

                "Where do you get off talking to an adult like that!" Mel said, his
                face changing from the pleasant facade to the snarl natalie was more
                used to. "My dad woulda beaten me black and blue if I ever raised my
                voice to him like that." Damn the kid could get to him. In the
                background, he could hear a growl coming from some nature show on
                Tv. He thought to himself that it was just how he felt.

                "Go away and leave me alone!" Natalie snapped.

                "I think it's time I taught you to respect your elders, kiddo,"
                Melsaid through gritted teeth. "Then I'm gonna show you how to pull
                your weight around here."

                Suddenly, a wide eyed expression crossed Natalie's face and she
                started to shriek.

                Mel smiled. This was the first time she'd ever acted afraid of him
                despite his best efforts. Maybe this would be easier than he thought
                after all. She let out another scream and he started to be afraid
                that the neighbors would hear. Those damn schools were always
                telling kids to scream their damn heads off at strangers or anyone
                else doing something they didn't like. He hoped all the growling
                from the TV would cover it up. It as really starting to get loud.

                A sick feeling came to him as he started to reach for Natalie. He
                had turned the TV off.

                A large, menacing silouhette crossed the wall and a shadow fell
                over mel and Natalie. he turned and looked behined him and screamed.

                Natalie shrieked once more as she and the wall behind her were
                spattered with his blood.
              • immortalwildcat
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
                  --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, starsky_hutch76
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  The path you have taken Winslow Schott down is like an off-beat
                  counter to the one taken by DC in the early 90's. While their version
                  of the Toyman was more "realistic" given the fears about predators and
                  children, this version (which could probably only get published in a
                  Vertigo book) is much more frightening. And yet, I could see a part
                  of Schott's original nature coming through in it as well.

                  Should prove interesting...

                  da 'Cat!
                • starsky_hutch76
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 3, 2006
                    Thanks. The direction DC took with Toyman always bothered me. I guess
                    having him kill that sort of predator was my answer to that.
                  • Ernie Ball
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
                      For some reason, by the time I reached the end of this chapter, I swear that a cold chill just filled my entire being. I've narrowed it down to either the teddy bear or something I ate. My money is on the teddy bear; that sucker is really creepy.

                      Driv

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
                        Liked this. Can't wait to see more.

                        Sean

                      • Ernie Ball
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
                          I really hope that creepy little teddy bear kills Mel in a slow, painful way.

                          Driv

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
                            I love that creepy little teddy bear.

                            Driv

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 7, 2006
                              And that Mel's roasting on a spit in Hell.

                              Sean