The Brave and the Bold: Legacy of CrimsThe Brave and the Bold: Legacy of Crimson

  • christine nightstar
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      The Brave and the Bold: Legacy of Crimson
      The scene opens on a young man with long black hair, black leather
      jacket with the upper right sleeve wrapped with a chain, black denim
      jeans, and black leather boots crouched on edge of a brownstone's
      roof. He's watching the traffic as the cars and trucks below pass by.
      A sound on the sidewalk below catches his attention. A scream from a
      woman, as several punks surround her.

      Behind him a voice says "You want to help her don't you?" The young
      man nods once, not trusting his voice to convey his wishes.

      "I've taught you all I knew… and I knew that this day would come when
      you would choose to put yourself in harm's way the way I did once,
      for this city. But I was not prepared for this day to come… or I
      would have prepared a more fitting outfit for you." The older man
      said behind him, he stopped as he looked down over the edge at the
      situation…

      "She has maybe one minute before they stop using words and start
      getting physical…when you go to her, remember everything I taught
      you… these punks should offer no challenge to you but I will await
      you, son." The older man finished as the young man rose to his full
      height and stepped off the edge, pulling a red scarf up over his face
      hiding the lower half of his face.

      The young man landed behind one of the punks surprising him… and in a
      second the punk was flipped into the wall… the punk's eyes crossed
      and the punk passed out. At that moment the gang of punks were
      focused upon him they all pulled their weapons. Butterfly knives,
      locked blade pocketknives, and one drew a nine-mm pistol. The masked
      young man didn't say a word. He sort of looked at the punks a bit
      disappointedly, as he was taught to go easier on unarmed opponents.

      The punk with the pistol grabbed the woman, and told his three
      comrades to "Teach this poseur a lesson about disrespecting the
      Purple dragons on their own turf." The woman was panicking as the
      punk with gun held her tight and the young hero dealt with the
      others.

      The young man just shrugged, as the punk with the butterfly knives
      slashed wide at him… parrying the slash and responding with a
      spinning back fist. These punks if they were going to claim territory
      in this city should at least be able to hold it… the punk's head spun
      sideways right into a light pole, knocking him out. The other two
      decided to rush him from both sides…

      The young man leapfrogged the one coming at him from the front, using
      the punk's shoulder to push off of and send the second punk flying
      into the third. Then spinning around fast as they pushed off of each
      other, catching the two punks with the heel of his boot. They fell
      unconscious next to their friends. Leaving the punk with the pistol
      three yards away…

      The scared punk asked, "who do you think you are? The Batman?"
      pointing the pistol at the young man the punk squeezed off a shot,
      only to see that the hero had shifted out of the way suddenly. The
      punk fired again, and the hero repeated the bullet dodging feat, a
      third shot fired and the hero had spun out of the bullet's trajectory
      again. A fourth shot fired and the hero had spun out of the way again
      getting closer. A fifth shot fired and the hero dodged it again. Then
      grabbed gun from the punk… took the magazine out of the gun, and
      emptied three bullets separately from the magazine with his thumb,
      cocked the last round out of the chamber and threw the gun to the
      ground and the magazine clip in opposite directions. The scared punk
      tried to punch the hero, after flinging the girl to the ground only
      to catch a jab into the solar plexus.

      "Who are you?" The punk asked as the Hero looked down at him.

      "The Crimson Avenger…" the youth in the red mask spoke and kicked the
      final punk into unconsciousness. Sirens were on their way and could
      be heard. The new Crimson Avenger looked up at his mentor, who nodded
      and ran into the alley, Seconds later a Black sedan picked up the
      youth and disappeared into the night. The new Crimson Avenger has
      nearly a mile away.

      The young woman looked at the punks that terrorized her and as she
      retold the tale to the police. She wasn't sure what to make of the
      Crimson Avenger as she told the story. The paramedic took her to the
      hospital for observation, she had only suffered a few bumps and
      bruises for her ordeal but the young Crimson Avenger had left her
      attackers in much worse shape, and had been purposely avoiding
      looking at her.

      Who was the Crimson Avenger and why had he reappeared after so long a
      time away. Could he be the same Crimson Avenger that her father had
      told tales of? The Young woman didn't know but she was going to find
      out…

      "You took too long in defeating them."

      "I'm sorry, father but I wasn't sure I could risk the safety of the
      woman."

      "At least you remembered to wear your gloves when you disarmed the
      gunman."

      "Yes father…" the youth said.

      "We have to get you back to the party before its noticed that the
      hosts are nowhere to be found."

      "I really hate those social functions though. Can't we ignore the
      socialite life in the future?"

      "It's the perfect cover, as I had to develop mine all those years
      ago. Lincoln Travis, heir to the Travis publishing company can't be
      thought of when they mention the Crimson Avenger."

      "But playing stupid in front of so many people… even Geoff thinks I'm
      an idiot and he's known me the longest."

      "Geoff is an unobservant boob. As is his sister, Jessica. the apple
      doesn't fall far from the tree."

      "But Uncle Benjamin is one of the richest men in America."

      "Ben Pierce is only one of the richest men in America because your
      grandfather Daniel, left the largest share of the Pierce mining
      company to him instead of your mother. Your grandfather Daniel was a
      sexist bastard who thought that women didn't belong in the world of
      business even though your mother was the sharpest businessperson I
      ever encountered."

      "Yes, Father."

      The Black sedan arrived at the secret entrance for Travis Building
      and entered the hidden garage. Seconds later the pair, Lee Travis and
      Lincoln Travis were changing back into their formal wear and heading
      to the hidden elevator. By the time that the elevator opened in the
      panel behind the false wall in the pantry, Father and son were back
      into the outfits that they had last been seen in before disappearing
      into the pantry. Lee dashed a bit of gin on himself as he peered out
      the hidden hole to make sure that the false wall wouldn't be observed
      opening.

      After reentering the pantry Lee made a loud drunken sounding
      announcement of his return and staggered out of the pantry into the
      main room. Lincoln made a derogatory remark and tried to catch his
      father as he staggered across the room, swaying from guest to guest
      in a drunken haze.

      "I don't see why `Link' is so concerned about that old lush anyway,
      even if he is his father… his manners are horrible…" came the remark
      from Geoff Pierce.

      "You know that `Link' tried to get Uncle Lee to go to Betty Ford last
      year? The old lush threatened to disown him if he ever mentioned it
      again." Jessica Pierce said.

      It took about five minutes and three loud complaints later, From Lee,
      to establish that he had locked himself in the pantry and it took
      Link almost a whole hour to hunt down the keys to the pantry to get
      him out. Rebecca Pierce-Travis admonished her husband for putting
      Link through the ordeal and to apologize to their guests or she was
      going home with her Niece and nephew. Wing, Lee Travis' valet, played
      along as well when he heard the threat, saying that her suite in the
      New York Trenton Arms still had a large portion of her wardrobe.

      Lee begged the forgiveness of his wife and guests before she
      considered the matter settled. The party ended around two in the
      morning when the last of the guests left.
      ---

      "You should have seen our boy tonight, Becky. He was quite a sight to
      behold." The elder Travis said as walked out of the closet after
      changing into his pajamas.

      "I can imagine… with Wing's training him in Ninjitsu and your
      training him with guns and other weapons I can imagine he was quite
      dashing."

      "He took a three story drop without a scratch, and took out five
      armed punks without breaking a sweat. One of them even had a 9mm, not
      that Link gave him a chance to use it."

      "You sound like you are proud of him."

      "I am, I am… and for more than how he handled the punks. When asked
      who he was he said he was the Crimson Avenger… he's carrying on my
      name Becky."

      "You are still worried about him too aren't you, Hon?"

      "I don't want him to be an outlaw like I had to be for so many years."

      "So call your friend the Police Commissioner tell him what has
      happened. Pave the way for him with the police."

      "It's been so many years I don't know if he'd even do it."

      "Well I do know that Link went to bed early tonight and is wore out."

      "We'll work more on his stamina as time goes on…"

      "Good night Lee"

      "Good night Becky…" Lee Travis kissed his wife good night and turned
      off the lights. Wing and the staff would be up late cleaning up.
      While Lincoln Travis just looked up at the ceiling and before falling
      asleep.
      ---

      Lincoln was up early working on his morning exercises… Wing demanded
      an hour of practice for each set of skills: physical skills, then the
      mental skills, then his chi skills, weapon skills… all before Lincoln
      could touch breakfast. Twenty years of such practice made Lincoln
      very proficient and meticulous about getting his skills perfect… The
      twenty-three year old had become a fine a practitioner of mystical
      Ninjitsu arts as any martial artist out there.

      By the time Lincoln was eating breakfast, Lee was heading to his
      office.

      "This evening I have something for you a sort of graduation present."

      "Thanks, Dad… but don't think I want to wear that unitard outfit with
      the fin on the head and domino style mask that you wore…"

      "I gave up on that when I noticed how well what you wore last night
      fit your style…You're a different Crimson Avenger than I was. I have
      to respect that, though its hard… and I think you should cut your
      hair maybe something shorter."

      "Something more practical to fight in?"

      "Yes, exactly. I can have Wing do it for you."

      "Last time I let Wing cut my hair he put a pot on my head and I ended
      up looking like one of the three stooges."

      "His name was Moe Howard, and you weren't that bad off."

      "I was made fun of at school until Mom stepped in and took me to her
      stylist."

      "Fine go to your stylist just meet me in the ops center after dinner."

      "I'll stop by for lunch ok?"

      "Can't do that today… Have a meeting with Wayne tech, getting some
      new printers and computers."

      "When are you going to let me take some responsibility at the office?"

      "When you show more aptitude for journalism than you do for writing
      those horror novels."

      "You have less journalistic talent than I have and you're saying I
      need more?"

      "I'm a businessman, not reporter… or a novelist."

      "Whatever Dad… I'll see you tonight."
      ---

      Lincoln was setting in the ops center, doing a standard police file
      search when Wing, Lee and Rebecca came in bearing gifts. His mother
      was holding a large box, his father a smaller box and Wing was
      holding long thin box.

      "For the New Crimson Avenger… Gear that will fit his style, represent
      the legacy that he carries on and make his own."

      In the box his mother was a leather outfit almost identical to the
      one he had worn the night before except it was all Crimson. The
      Crimson leather Jacket, vest, and pants. Two lengths of chain, Black
      leather boots and Crimson Ninja style hood/mask. In the box that his
      father gave him were the two .45 caliber pistols that Lee had used as
      the Crimson Avenger during his time. Wing's gift was the Ninja-to
      Wing had received when he became a ninja.

      Lincoln went into the back room to change and when he came out the
      pistols were strapped to his legs, the chains wrapped around the arms
      like the night before, the sword was slung over his shoulder. Black
      leather gloves completed the outfit.

      "Meet the New Crimson Avenger…" Link said as he pulled the mask up to
      cover the lower half of his face.
    • Ernie Ball
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
        I'm a bit confused with this one. Has a Crimson Avenger been established on E-1? I'm only asking this since I'm not up-to-date on most of the storylines on this site. My confusion aside, I really enjoyed this. If there wasn't a CA here before, this is a good introduction to one. Hope to see more of Linc and his family.

        Driv

      • mcmaenza
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
          Chrissie,

          I am sorry I have to be the one to break this to you but there was no
          original Crimson Avenger on Earth-1. Lee Travis, the original Crimson
          Avenger, is an Earth-2 character. Any stories relating to that
          character belong on the E-2 club and not on this club. The
          moderators will need to remove this story as it is not in proper
          continuity.

          However, there already has been established a new Crimson Avenger over
          on the E-2 clubs a number of years back. Therefore, you really can't
          post this story over there either.

          It is a good story. You probably should post it over on the
          Elseworlds club or something.

          Martin
        • mcmaenza
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, Ernie Ball <drivtaan@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm a bit confused with this one. Has a Crimson Avenger been
            established on E-1? I'm only asking this since I'm not up-to-date on
            most of the storylines on this site. My confusion aside, I really
            enjoyed this. If there wasn't a CA here before, this is a good
            introduction to one. Hope to see more of Linc and his family.

            The Crimson Avenger is firmly established as an Earth-2 only character
            in our continuity. This story is out of place here.

            Martin
          • christine nightstar
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
              I talked to Starsky about that continuity bumb and will be addressing
              it in the next post... There's a reason that nobody heard of him...
              you'll see it in the next story.

              --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, mcmaenza <no_reply@...>
              wrote:

              > Chrissie,
              >
              > I am sorry I have to be the one to break this to you but there was
              no
              > original Crimson Avenger on Earth-1. Lee Travis, the original
              Crimson
              > Avenger, is an Earth-2 character. Any stories relating to that
              > character belong on the E-2 club and not on this club. The
              > moderators will need to remove this story as it is not in proper
              > continuity.
              >
              > However, there already has been established a new Crimson Avenger
              over
              > on the E-2 clubs a number of years back. Therefore, you really
              can't
              > post this story over there either.
              >
              > It is a good story. You probably should post it over on the
              > Elseworlds club or something.
              >
              > Martin

            • mcmaenza
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
                --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, "christine nightstar"
                <ptc@...> wrote:

                > I talked to Starsky about that continuity bumb and will be addressing
                > it in the next post... There's a reason that nobody heard of him...
                > you'll see it in the next story.

                Ah, okay. Glad to hear you are going to address this.
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Chrissie, I can't wait to see how you bring the 'New Crimson Avenger'
                  into the realm of Earth-1. The concept of the son taking over for the
                  father, is nice. I like the fact that Linc has been training for this
                  for twenty years. I have enjoyed the first installment, and can't
                  wait to read more. Thank you for the fine work.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
                    The Crimson Avenger story was inspired by a picture, the fact it
                    ended up being the Crimson Avenger was the detail I knew that there
                    was no Crimson Avenger on E-1. After I started writing things started
                    to fall into place. Keep tuned in for more in the Crimson Avenger's
                    life.

                    --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mschnitski@...>