WORLDS' FINEST: Radea - Mind Over Machine (part 2)

  • GooseGansler
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2006
      It was only a matter of hours for the Meteor to traverse the light-
      years to its final destination. The forces that were being exerted
      on the ship were almost incalculable, although its pilot could
      calculate them with her advanced mind.

      The ship suddenly decelerated from supra-light to sub-light speed in
      the space of an instant. Radea's instruments picked up the change;
      she herself felt nothing. She quickly scanned the heavens and picked
      out some familiar stars. She then processed that information with
      her memory of universal star maps to ascertain her position. The
      planet appearing before her on the main visi-plate was a few thousand
      light-years from where she had expected to be.

      "Strange," she thought. "But not too surprising for a moveable
      planet." She continued to adjust her course to the world below. The
      planet seemed to shin with an eerie light even though it did not
      orbit a sun. Radea decelerated through the atmosphere. The
      artificial solar glow finally gave way to clear blue skies. The
      homing beam directed to a building with which she was familiar – the
      main complex of the Clockworkers.

      The facility was several stories in height and circular in shape.
      The roof was marked in an orderly pattern of telescopic lenses around
      the circumference, giving the building the appearance of a clock from
      above. Radea put the Meteor down on the single rocketpad a few
      hundred yards from the facility.

      When she stepped out, she was greeted by two black robed
      Clockworkers. They were humanoid in shape with an orange tint to
      their skin. They wore their white hair straight and long.

      "Greetings, Radea of Hyperba," one of the Clockworkers beamed
      mentally. "Welcome once again to Eedoc."

      "It is an honor to be summoned," Radea silently replied in kind.
      Communicating telepathically provided much more flavor to the
      conversation than simple Interlac words ever could.

      "If you will accompany us?" the other Clockworker gestured with his
      hand, although his lips never moved. "We'll take you directly to
      Nestro."

      Radea marveled at the beauty that surrounded the Clockworkers'
      facility. The building was situated on a wide plain of green grass.
      Lush red vegetation surrounded the plain on one side. Majestic
      orange mountains ringed it on the other. In her infrequent visits
      here, she had never had the opportunity to tour the rest of the
      world. The rest of the planet and its inhabitants were still
      somewhat enigmatic to her.

      "Based on the hints they've given me, it seems that the entire
      population is involved to some degree in this great project of
      theirs – to ensure the stability of the universe. They see it as a
      giant timepiece which needs to run precisely." She had wondered if
      her thoughts were begin kept to herself behind her mental shields.
      She didn't think her escorts would be prying, but she knew, if they
      wanted to, that her shields would provide no obstacle to these potent
      telepaths.

      They reached the main entrance. A nod from one of the escorts
      indicated that he had beamed ahead and that the electro-ring security
      system had been deactivated. She remembered the test that the system
      had provided her on her first visit. Overcoming the electro-rings had
      proven her physical worthiness to the Clockworkers to act as their
      champion.

      The path to Nestro's suite took them by one of the observation
      areas. She could see a number of younger Eedocans engaged on various
      observations. There were visi-plates depicting all sorts of
      astronomical bodies – stars, comets, planets, asteroids, black holes,
      even entire galaxies. Data was being mentally communicated among
      them at a furious pace, as they ensured that all was in order in the
      universe. Radea had to tune out the discourse – it was simply too
      fast for her to keep up with.

      Finally, they reached the doors to Nestro's office. The escorts had
      been in contact with the man behind the doors since they had entered
      the facility. The doors opened to the suite without any of them
      missing a step.

      "Welcome to Eedoc," Nestro beamed warmly from inside. Even though
      Radea couldn't see the leader of the Clockworkers yet, his
      mental "voice" was unmistakable.

      They turned from the entrance corridor to the interior of the suite.
      There she saw the aged director of this vast enterprise. He was
      seated at a simply polymetallic desk, its only adornment was a
      stylized atomic model of a helium nucleus with electrons orbiting
      about it. Behind him was a massive three-dimensional holo-tank
      showing millions of cascading equations. It was a mathematical
      marvel.

      "Ah, you continue to appreciate the beauty of the Tapestry. That has
      always please us, for one to appreciate our work on such a level,'
      Nestro transmitted gratefully.

      "You flatter me," Radea beamed demurely. "I can hardly grasp the
      magnitude of what it represents

      Nestro rose from his desk and looked directly at Radea with a genial
      smile. "We're grateful that you came. Our models have indicated a
      problem which you are uniquely qualified to address."

      Radea nodded and watched as the holo-tank changed to show the
      equations representing a single star system. This collection of
      formulae she could comprehend far better.

      Nestro caused the system image to be further magnified by issuing a
      command from the single antenna headset that he wore. "This
      represents the Vigo system. The only inhabited world, the fourth
      planet, is called Roxar. Its star is 10.15 billion years old. It
      should be well within the stable period of its lifetime, but as you
      can see …" A simple regression equation of solar flux as a function
      of time became magnified. "Its output has begun to decline
      precipitously as of late."

      "A dying star, just like the one Hyperba orbits,' Radea noted. "But
      we've been able to bolster it with periodic atomic
      missile `injections'."

      "True," Nestro beamed patiently. "But your star's condition was
      appropriate for its age. Vigo is not. If it were to undergo a
      supernova transformation … or worse, collapse into a black hole, that
      entire sector could fall in gravitic chaos."

      The equations changed to show the potential ripple effect of the
      presence of a black hole in that sector. Cosmic stability was so
      delicately balanced in that area that such h a massive change could
      be catastrophic on a vast scale.

      "We want you to investigate," Nestro continued. "To get more local
      observations as well as to visit the planet Roxar. Perhaps the
      mechanical inhabitants have something to do with the situation."

      "Mechanical?" Radea's question was simple, but it had all sorts of
      associated questions about the inhabitants.

      "Yes, Roxar is populated by a race called the Automs, a robotic
      lifeform. They have been very orderly up to now, but we fear they
      might be the cause."

      "I'll go at once," Radea replied.

      Nestro nodded as he transmitted the coordinates of the system and the
      most judicious route to the planet.

      Radea nodded her thanks and dashed back towards the rocketpad. In a
      few moments, she was blasting towards the Vigo system.

      Nestro sat down on watched her progress on the Tapestry, noting her
      velocity and acceleration. The universe seemed to be becoming a more
      imperiled constrict every day. While he was pleased that the recent
      formation of the Alien Alliance had brought the Oan Guardians of the
      Universe (with whom may had confused the Clockworkers - Guardians of
      the Clockwork Universe, over the millennia) back to an active role,
      he wondered if even their reintroduction into the grand scheme would
      be enough to forestall the chaos that seemed to be erupting. The
      Oans focused on reaction to evil, the Clockworkers mission was to
      maintain the universe's integrity – to keep it functioning as the
      machine they envisioned it to be.

      "Perhaps," Nestro contemplated, with his thoughts shielded against
      all. "Perhaps we might be wise to develop a more structured
      organization of champions to operate on our behalf."
    • Aleus Mundi
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4, 2006
        The Darkstars? The Manhunters? LEGION? Vanguard?

        --
        The Transmundial rules all

      • GooseGansler
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
          WORLDS' FINEST: Radea - Mind Over Machine (part 3)

          The Meteor's voyage from Eedoc to Roxar passed without incident.
          Radea spent a significant amount of time rummaging through the
          information that the Clockworkers had mentally impressed upon her
          regarding Roxar. There now was a great deal of information in her
          mind about the planet and its robotic culture, although she was sure
          that it was not exhaustive. She had seen some of the memory banks
          that the Clockworkers had on the universe. They held more
          information than even a mutant mind of the future could hope to hold.

          Radea noted the course that had been suggested by the Clockworkers.
          It wasn't a straight line through space to Roxar, but it was the
          quickest. They had provided her with a path that took advantage of
          natural singularities and space-time bends. The mathematics that
          must have been involved were staggering. "But then, I've come to
          expect to be awed by the Clockworkers. Just the constant
          repositioning of Eedoc to correspond with the ever-changing center of
          mass of the universe. That's why the planet's never found in the
          same place."

          She cut out the spectrum drive once she reached the fringes of the
          Roxar system and proceeded on fusion engines. She beamed ahead
          electronic as well as mental communication efforts, She didn't
          expect any response to the latter. The Clockworkers had told her
          that even their vaunted mental powers did not work with the
          mechanical mind.

          "No response on any frequency," she sighed. "Then again, I'm pretty
          far out for an electromagnetic wave to reach me quickly. Maybe I'll
          pick up a response as I get closer."

          As Radea neared the planet, the Meteor's sensors began detecting non-
          naturally occurring electromagnetic activity, but none of it
          constituted a response to her hailing. She tried again but to no
          avail. Leaning back in her chair, she focused on setting her
          detector apparatus to analyze the sun in hopes to determining what
          might be the case of its seemingly premature decline.

          Deftly manipulating the controls, Radea brought the Meteor into orbit
          around Roxar. Activating the space telescope, she peered down on the
          world below. She could see a city of robotic inhabitants teeming
          with mechanical life. Most of them seems to be busy with
          transforming their metallic landscape. She noticed the focus to be
          on constructing a gigantic structure at the center of the
          metropolis. Zooming in closer, she could see that the partially
          finished structure seemed to be in the form, albeit on a much more
          massive scale, of the robots themselves.

          "A memorial, perhaps," she wondered. "Or perhaps a status of a local
          god. Do robotic life forms envision higher beings?"

          Radea took the controls again and began to direct the Meteor to the
          surface of Roxar. Her detectors picked up no indication of armed
          response. She set the Meteor down in a clearing just outside the
          city she had just observed.

          Radea stepped out of the Meteor and secured the hatches. She
          proceeded on foot towards the city. She noted that there were some
          signs of mining activity on the city outskirts. "Silicon, by the
          looks of it," she thought. "That makes perfect sense for an
          electronic race." She could see the looming figure of the incomplete
          robotic form at the city's center.

          Entering the city's limits, she finally encountered some of the
          inhabitants. Their robotic forms were not the most streamlined
          artificial life forms that she had encountered during her journeys.
          Their heads were bucket-shaped. Their arms had an accordion-like
          appearance. Their torsos were simply a support strut.

          "Hello," she called out in Interlac. "My name is Radea. I come in
          peace and I'm offering assistance with your solar troubles."

          "Solar troubles?" One of the robots looked at its compatriot. They
          both had numerical codes ensscripted on their upper chests. "I
          haven't noticed any troubling solar activity today."

          "Neither have I," replied the other in monotone.

          Radea addressed the first. "Err, your name is … 654321-A, isn't it?"

          "Affirmative," the robot responded.

          "This may sound corny," Radea smiled, "but I'll need you to take me
          to your leaders. They might have a better idea of what's going on
          with your sun. Its output has been decreasing."

          "And that's a bad thing?" 654321-A questioned. The robot momentarily
          froze as a crackle of energy surrounded its head. Its visual
          receptors seemed `glazed', when described in humanoid terms. His
          comrade, 5317704, seemed to undergo the same transition.

          "We will escort your to the Capital Complex," 5317704 barked in a
          voice that was even more mechanical than before. "All will be made
          clear." The robot reached out and grabbed Radea's arm. Its action
          wasn't overly forceful, but it wasn't exactly soft in directing which
          way for Radea to go.

          "Very well," Radea sighed. Something that transpired here. Had her
          robotic greeters received some electronic orders that caused their
          change in demeanor? She couldn't be certain, but at least she felt
          she was making progress. The Capital Complex was where the leaders
          of the city would be, she assumed.

          As they walked through the city, she noted that all of the activity
          was focused on building the statue, as she had come to refer to it.
          She found that very strange. The information that the Clockworkers
          had imparted had made no mention of such monomania among the robotic
          Automs. Then again, the Clockworkers' information was a few years
          old. Perhaps some massive cultural changed had occurred in the
          intervening years.

          Radea entered the Captial Complex, which was a massive cubical
          building. Inside, it was an extremely complicated latticework of
          equipment. There were all sorts of Automs tending to various pieces
          of machinery. Despite he seeming chaos of blinking lights, turning
          hears, and whirring sounds, there was an innate order to it all. The
          escorts led Radea unerringly to a spot deep within the complex where
          she was greeted by three more Automs. Their golden torsos indicated
          their high rank in the Autom hierarchy.

          "I am 34264-1, the First of the Three. Assistance from organics in
          unnecessary. There are no problems in the operation of Roxar," one
          of the golden Automs spoke.

          Radea put on her best smile, even tough she wasn't sure it would have
          any meaning to these robots. "I would agree. Roxar functions
          perfectly. The issue is with your sun, Virgo. Its output is waning
          at an unnatural rate."

          The three leaders exchanged glances amongst themselves and then their
          antennae crackled with electricity. "Incorrect," 34264-1
          replied. "Solar output is decreasing exactly according to
          projections. There is nothing unnatural about it."

          "What?" Radea was take aback. "Are you causing the reduction?"

          "Affirmative," 34264-1 responded. "Unpredictable solar flares are
          inimical to electronic systems. Reduced solar output has eliminated
          solar flares from affecting Roxar."

          This was very perplexing to Radea. There had been no mention about
          such solar engineering expertise in the Clockworkers'
          information. "Surely the solar flares can't have that much of an
          effect on you."

          34264-1 froze for a moment as he sent a wireless signal. <She
          suspects something is amiss. Orders?>

          <This is Security-4. We will deal with her> came the reply.

          Suddenly a skylight opened and a gigantic version of an Autom hand
          came through. It grabbed Radea before she could react. The grip was
          strong and inescapable, although Radea certainly tried as the hand
          pulled her out of the Capital Complex.

          Once outside, she saw that the hand was attached to the gigantic
          Autom that she had seen at the center of the city. It pulled her
          close to its massive face. "Your presence is not welcome here,
          fleshling!" the titan announced. "Now, we Computer Tyrants of Colu
          will determine if you have any worth to us. If not, you will be
          exterminated!"
        • GooseGansler
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 17, 2014

            A few standard days had passed, and Nestro had become very concerned.

            The concern of the leader of the Clockworkers was on the fact that they had received no word from Radea as to the mission to Roxar.  He mentally reached out to one his chief functionaries.  “Has anyone achieved contact with Radea?”

            “Unfortunately, no,” came the reply.  “There seems to be some sort of shielding about the planet now.  That could be the cause.”

            “Why would Roxar have shielding that was proof was against our power” Nestro wondered.  “The Automs’ mental process do not allow for mental contact.”

            “Perhaps it is not a deliberately constructed shield but a side effect of shielding against some other sixth-level waveform,” the functionary replied.  “With your leave, I must resume my tracking of the Darzona Comet.”

            “Very well,” Nestro sighed   Radea had been one of their most resourceful agents.  For her to be rendered incommunicado was uncommon.  “Although there was the Lukan mission in which the Earthman Captain Comet needed to be summoned.  Perhaps we should request his aid?”  Nestro quickly decided against the idea.  Earth was simply too far away.  Another champion would need to be called.

            Nestro went through a mental list of possible champions, taking into account the abilities as well as relative distance from to Roxar.  He rubbed his temples as he came to the inevitable conclusion.  There was only one champion whom he could call who was close enough and had abilities that might succeed where Radea had apparently failed.  His mind reached across the light-years to the planet Agustin, to a certain neophyte hero.  “Hear me, Vaalor of Augstin.  The Guardians of the Clockwork Universe have a dire task for you.”

            It was only a matter of minutes before a warp hole opened just outside of Eedoc’s atmosphere.  Out of the grey circular opening of space-time emerged the colorful figure of Vaalor.  His yellow cape trailed behind him.  His pinkish-purple costume was accented with metallic wristbands and boots.  A green winged create was emblazoned on his chest.  The skin on his yelloe-hued face was drawn into a smile.  He set a brief mental message to the surface.  “Where do I go now?”  The response told him where the citadel complex was.

            Soon Vaalor was in the presence of Nestro.  The leader of the Clockworkers was ready to inform the young hero of his assignment.

            “Time is short, young one,” Nestro explained, “so I will telepathically transfer to you all there is to know about Roxar and Radea.”  He information exchange took place in between heartbeats.

            Vaalor considered the information for a few moments before asking any questions.  He knew that he was impulsive by nature when dealing with aliens, and he didn’t want to give that impression to the Clockworkers.  He certainly had been that way in his first interaction with offworlders when he encountered the Terran hero called Superman.

            “Hmm,” Vaalor considered carefully.  “Mechanical life forms make mental powers useless.”

            “When dealing with the Automs, yes,” Nestro answered kindly.  “However we would expect that you would be able to contact Radea once you were close enough.  In addition, you do have other powers to bring to bear, if the need arises.”

            Vaalor nodded, and then shook Nestro’s hand.  “I’ll be off then.  With the cosmic charts your friends have provided, I should be able to make it Roxar in only three space warps.”

            “Good fortune accompany you,” Nestro said earnestly.

            Exiting the facility, Vaalor took to the sky and rocketed into space.  Once free of the atmosphere, he used his powers to generate the first space warp.  “I’m coming, Radea.  I’m coming.”  The image that the Clockworkers had provided of her was one of stunning beauty.  He couldn’t wait to rescue her.

            After his third space warp, Vaalor was floating above the world of Roxar.  He tried mentally reaching out to Radea, but he couldn’t get a response.  The interference was mentally deafening.  He hadn’t had much experience with artificial mental shields, but the interference didn’t seem to be a result of a deliberate intent.  The same couldn’t be said of the beam of hypercharged plasma that came streaming at him.  He enveloped himself with a force bubble just in time.

            “Well, that’s not exactly a friendly welcome.”  Vaalor concentrated to maintain the integrity of the bubble. Mega-ergs of energy cascaded around him.

            Adjusting his position, Vaalor noted that the beam did not track him but continued now into the depths of space.  He zoomed down planetwards on a path parallel to the beam.  “Something interesting has to be at the spot where the beam is being produced.”  He kept up the force bubble just in case.

            Seconds later, Vaalor was at the surface of the planet.  He could see dozens of native Automs operating the gigantic plasma cannon.  “Definitely not the peaceful little robots that the Clockworkers described,” he thought.

            “Another fleshling!” one of the Automs shouted.  “The Tyrants were right.  The hominids are coming to invade our world.”

            “Invade?” Vaalor replied in shock.  “I’m just trying to find someone here.  I come in peace.”

            “Peace will only come when the Computer Tyrants rule all!” a voice boomed from behind Vaalor.

            The young hero turned to see a gigantic robot reaching for him.  “Moons of Worsel!” he exclaimed.  Though the giant reached for him, Vaalor zipped out of the way.

            “This is Security-10,” the giant robot beamed widely.  “My colossal housing is not complete, but I have engaged the fleshling.  Alert to all Security and Defense units.”  The message was instantaneously transmitted to the various other Tyrants around the world.

            “I mean no harm,” Vaalor proclaimed.  “I’m only trying to find another humanoid.  Her name is Radea..”

            Security-10 lashed out again and almost snagged Vaalor’s cape.  “She is our prisoner, as you soon shall be.”

            “We’ll see about that.”  Vaalor smiled with determination as he let loose with an energy burst.  The impact staggered the metallic titan.  He circled around the robot.  “Since I won’t be getting any cooperation from the locals, I’ll have to find her myself.”

            Another attempted blow by the robot was deflected by Vaalor’s energy bubble.    He expanded the field to push the robot back.

            “I wonder if I can reach Radea now?” Vaalor thought.  Seeing that he had a split-second while Security-10 righted itself, he reached out with his mind again.  “Radea?  Are you out there?”

            “Yes, I am,” came a strong reply.  With it she reported her location and all of the information that she had gained in her captivity.

            “The Computer Tyrants of Colu,” Vaalor understand from the transferred information.  “I guess it makes sense for them to set up here.  Robots would be easier to control for them than high-level intellect Coluans.”

            “There’s no time for speculation,” Radea beamed firmly.  “They’re mobilizing more Automs, and more Tyrants are converging on you.”

            “Then I’ll rescue you and we’ll leave Roxar.”  Vaalor pounded an approaching Tyrant with a volley for force blasts.

            “Their holding facility is well-fortified.  You won’t get in.  Plus, my body is completely sedated.  I would be of no help.”

            “Then how do I get you out? Vaalor scattered some Automs who were trying to train their cannon on him again.

            “We trade,” came Radea’s reply.

            Vaalor zoomed out of the Automs range again.  “I don’t think the Tyrants would not want me over you.  You’re a famous hero.”

            “Don’t sell yourself short, Vaalor,” Radea replied kindly.  “But you’re right.  The Tyrants won’t make a trade.  But I have a plan and the knowledge to implement it.  For computers, the Tyrants are rather vain.”

            “But I still don’t know what you mean.”  Some plasma bolts came dangerously to striking Vaalor.

            “When our minds touched, I learned all about you,” Radea explained.  “I can do the task with your hands.”

            “You will do what?” Vaalor beamed back incredulously.  How had she broken though his mental shields without him even noticing it?  “You want to … switch?  But you’re a girl!’

            “And you’re a boy,” Radea answered.  “I know you can effect a mind transfer.  Do it, and let me save us both.”

            “I don’t know,” Vaalor stuttered.  He had never performed a mind switch with a woman before.  The thought troubled him.  “Maybe I can beat them myself, I could … outsmart them.”

            “You’re going to outsmart a group of computers that dominated the most intelligent race in the galaxy?” Radea asked with a hint of disdain.

            “Well, when you put it that way,” Vaalor muttered.  “But you’re going to outsmart them?  Are you part Coluan?”

            “No, and I don’t have to be as smart as a Coluan,” Radea beamed with self-confident pride.  “Just more clever.”

            “OK, then,” Vaalor replied.  He began to concentrate after the conversation concluded, which actually had only taken a fraction of a second.  His mind was loosed from his body.  It blazed a trail on the psychic plane that pulled Radea out as he pushed into her body.  Soon Vaalor’s mind was in Radea’s sedated body while Radea inhabited Vaalor’s form.

            “Well, then,” Radea smiled as she enjoyed the feeling of the powerful male frame.  “So this is what it feels like.”  She only allowed herself the luxury for a moment.  Utilizing Vaalor’s physical powers, she rocketed toward the capital city again.  Her destination – the central mainframe.

          • GooseGansler
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 17, 2014

              Now inhabiting the form of Vaalor, Radea streaked through the skies of the planet Rexor.  She found the experience exhilarating.  She had flown with rocket-packs and anti-gravitic devices before, but to fly just because she willed it was a novel experience.  However, she knew that she had to concentrate on the task at hand.  The Computer Tyrants who ruled Roxar were definitely not feeble intellects.  They would be tracking her flight path, projecting her likely destination, and initiating countermeasures.

              She poured on the speed as she made slight adjustments to her course.  She didn’t want her final destination to be too obvious.  That might mean that there would be dozens of gigantic robotic forms of the Computer Tyrants, not to mention the dominated Autom locals.

              “I’m fortunate that the Tyrants are so egotistically chatty,” Radea thought as she reminisced about her time in captivity at their metallic hands.  She hoped that they would do nothing grievously harmful while Vaalor now inhabited her body.  “They let it slip that they have a central mainframe for processing error functions for all of the Tyrants.”

              She came up to the innocuous facility that housed the central mainframe.  There were a few armed Automs guarding the entrance.  She extended her hands and let the energy build.  Her force blasts pushed the Automs away without harming them too severely.  She increased the intensity and smashed through the omnium steel doors.  Once inside, she enveloped herself with an energy bubble as she searched for a terminal.

              With her futuristic mind, she had no trouble picking it out amongst the technological wonderland that the complex was.  Concentrating, she expanded the bubble until it surrounded the entire complex.  She knew that would weaken its strength, but she also knew that the Tyrants and their minions would be converging on the place.  She had to keep them out until she could complete her task.

              ‘Her’ fingers s danced across the terminal as she struggled to access the core programming.  “It’s a Vax-based system,” she noted with amusement.  “I was hacking into these as a toddler.  This shouldn’t turn out to be too difficult after all.”

              Suddenly the facility shook violently.  It was obvious to Radea that the Tyrants were bringing their forces to bear.  The energy bubble could not withstand too much of a sustained bombardment.

              Pounding the keyboard furiously, Radea broke into core programming routines.  “There,” she smiled.  “Now to add two lines of code.”  She inserted one set of commands near the top of a constantly accessed subroutine.  With a flourish, she recompiled the subroutine into the core program.

              Within seconds, the bombardment stopped.  Radea let the energy bubble dissipate.  She stepped outside to see a number of gigantic Tyrants standing immobile.  There were a number of Automs looking around warily, electronic confusion emanating from them.

              “What is going on here?” one of the Automs asked.  “And who are you, alien?”

              “That’s sort of complicated,” Radea answered.  “I mean, I’m here at the behest of the Clockworkers to help you.  The Computer Tyrants of Colu had enslaved your world, but the electronic domination, as well as the Tyrants themselves, has been stopped.”

              The Autom checked the readings of his personal datalog versus his chronometer.  “That’s strange.  My memory banks are blank for the past few cycles.  There’s nothing after the irregularities in the omni-wave broadcast.”

              Radea extended her hand to the robot’s shoulder.  “That how the Tyrants took control here.  By hijacking the omni-wave broadcast and controlling your minds.  Now they don’t have control of themselves.  We’ll have to do a thorough job of rounding them up.  But first I have to rescue myself.”

              Radea took to the air, leaving behind some befuddled Automs.  She soon was at the side of her own body.  Going through the devices that the Tyrants had used on her, she administered a counter agent and her body quickly returned to consciousness.

              “Whoa, this is strange,” Vaalor said from inside of the graceful feminine form.  “I never could have imagined what this would feel like.”

              “It was an experience for me, too,” Radea replied.  She helped Vaalor to stand.  “But I really would like to get back to my own body.”

              Vaalor nodded.  An instant later, he was nodding his own head.  “Ah, that’s better.”  He looked at Radea.  “So what exactly did you do, or is it too technical?”

              “Not at all,” Radea grinned.  “I added two lines of code to their core programming.  The first line was ‘LINE 100: GOTO LINE 200”.  The second line was ‘LINE 200: GOTO LINE 100.’  I created an infinite loop.  It was too simple for any of their countermeasures to do anything.”

              “Very clever,” Vaalor laughed.

              “It’s probably only temporary,” Radea admitted.  “They might find some way to break out of the loop.  With the Tyrants down, we should be able to contact the Clockworklers.”  She closed her eyes.  “Nestro?”

              “Our minds touch once again,” the leader of the Clockworkers beamed back across the light-years.   “We can tell that you have been successful.  The Computer Tyrants of Colu, eh?  A very ingenious trap.  I will soon have some of my colleagues contact you with a plan to clear the Tyrants from the Autom systems and to permanently imprison them.

              “Well, then,” Radea returned her attention to Vaalor.  “I guess your task is done.  I’m free now.  Thank you for lending a hand, among other things.” She gave him a quick peck on the cheek.  “Feel free to visit me on Hyperba if you’re in the area.”

              “S-s-sure.”  Vaalor’s yellow cheeks became rather flushed.  “Um, er, I guess I’d better get back home now.”  He took off into the sky and soon left Roxar’s atmosphere behind.  He opened up the first of the space warps that would take him home.  “Wow, what a gal!”

            • ddswanson
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 18, 2014
                standard days are VERY long!

                Nice story,Goose! Thanks.
              • GooseGansler
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 18, 2014
                  Thanks.  It only took a few years for me to finally type it in from my handwritten version.  I'm inspired to start writing again, but I don't have any Earth 1 ideas.  For Earth-2, I'm looking to continue the things I started a long time ago with Superman and Superboy.

                  Goose

                  ---In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, <ddswanson@...> wrote :

                  standard days are VERY long!

                  Nice story,Goose! Thanks.
                • johnreiter902
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 19, 2014
                    Hurray! Press on by all means. More stories are good stories.

                    I enjoyed seeing Rexor again, I always liked the story when Luthor was trapped there (wasn't it called Roxar though? Maybe not). I was surprised to mind the Computer Tyrants survived the revolution on Colu. Then again, we never actually saw them destroyed on Earth-1.
                  • The Time Trust
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 19, 2014
                      Welcome back, Goose! This is pretty exciting. I am really glad to see this story finished.

                      If anyone wants to read the earlier chapters, here they are:

                      I'm going to have to read this story in full before I can comment on it.

                      --
                      Cheers,
                      Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

                      www.5earths.info

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 5, 2014
                        Great story, and quite an ending. My 10-year-old self is jumping for joy at the BASIC commands. Reminds me of many hours I spent creating little amusing programs at the computer at my school. I think I still have some old BASIC programming books for kids somewhere.

                        Footnotes:

                        Radea first appeared in a Captain Comet story called "The Girl from the Diamond Planet," from Strange Adventures #12 (September, 1951).

                        The Guardians of the Clockwork Universe and their leader Nestro first appeared in a Captain Comet story appropriately entitled, "The Guardians of the Clockwork Universe," from Strange Adventures #22 (July, 1952). These Guardians also appear more recently on this site in a Captain Comet story by Libbylawrence called "Captain Comet: Like Clockwork".

                        The Automs first appeared in "The Kryptonite Killer," Action Comics #294 (November, 1962).

                        The Computer Tyrants of Colu, of course, are featured in the origin of Brainiac. Their appearances are numerous, but they usually only appear in flashbacks to that origin story, so this story is a nice change of pace by making them a viable threat once more.

                        Vaalor is a more recent character than the others, first appearing in "The Monumental Menace of Metropolis," Action Comics #576 (February, 1986), which takes place in that time between the end of the Crisis on Infinite Earths (August, 1985) and the time that Argo City (made of both green kryptonite and anti-kryptonite) was dropped on Metropolis by Mr. Mxyzptlk (October, 1985).