Captain Comet: A Higher Calling 1

  • libbylawrence
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2004
      On a tropical island known as Vumania, a group of colorfully costumed
      men and women marked a sad occasion. In the distance a well-
      maintained complex rose up beneath the heat of the island sun, but it
      was not merely the brightness of the light that caused one platinum
      haired girl to weep.

      "Dolphin, you promised you wouldn't cry!" said a young man in a black
      and red costume with a star on his chest.

      "I'm sorry, Will. I guess the moment just caught me off-guard!" said
      Dolphin.

      Starman (Will Payton) nodded and looked over to where the famous
      heroes Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Green Lantern, and Superman stood with
      Lady Blackhawk and Captain Comet.

      "Adam, are you sure this is what you want to do? I know you cared for
      Lisa Snart but I never had any confidence in that relationship. The
      woman put Barry through torment in her time as the Golden Glider!
      She's not worth any regrets!" said Green Lantern.

      Captain Comet said, "Lisa is a changed woman. She has reformed and
      made a new life for herself. It's not a life that can include me but
      that decision was mutual. She likes the life of a model/skater and
      never truly had her heart in the crime fighting lifestyle. Her time
      on tour only made it all the clearer for both of us. We weren't meant
      to be together! Still, you owe her the benefit of the doubt. She has
      repented of her past crimes!"

      GL nodded and said nothing. He would never like the Golden Glider.

      Superman said, "I've had a relationship or two that failed and I can
      respect your feelings on the subject. Plus, the Glider owes us no
      apologies for quitting the heroic life! Sometimes many of us have
      contemplated what it would be like to hang up the capes so to speak!"

      Captain Comet said, "Breaking up with Lisa really had very little to
      do with my decision. I was away from Earth for a long time and the
      fact is, the desire to travel and see the wonders of the universe
      never truly left me. I've enjoyed my time with the Forgotten Heroes
      and I'd like to think we've done some good but I think my work is
      done in that area."

      Hawkwoman put an arm around the Man of the Future and said, "Adam,
      the world can always use another hero with your experience and
      powers! Plus, we hate to see a friend go away!"

      Hawkman nodded and said, "Shay is right. I'll miss our chess games!"

      Captain Comet said, "All of you JLAers have been good to me. I'll
      miss you all as well. Still, you have to see my point. Right after
      Crisis, the JLA was fragmented. You two were dealing with the Shadow
      War of your home world. Aquaman was going through some dark times and
      his wife was secretly under the control of an ancient wizard. I even
      wonder if that same wizard's dark influence led Arthur to make some
      of the decisions he made during his time with the Detriot League.
      Anyway, GL, you'd only recently recovered your ring and had to deal
      with the absence of the Oans. Flash and Supergirl had died.
      Metropolis was loaded with kryptonite. Atom had retired. Red Tornado
      was damaged. Wonder Woman had been turned into an infant. In short,
      the JLA was going through a transition period as individuals and as a
      group and I tried to fill the gap as best I could during that
      difficult time. But, now, the JLA is stronger than ever, thank
      goodness!"

      Lady Blackhawk looked at her cousin and said, "Adam, I understand
      your desire to travel again but what about the team?"

      Captain Comet said, "Actually, the team will go on in one form or
      another. Mayflower is back with the Force of July. I know Dolphin
      plans to divide her time between Starman and Arion. So many earlier
      members have moved on in one manner or another. Poor Cheetah returned
      to crime. Golden Wasp is fighting the good fight on his own.
      Robotgirl was restored to a human form. The Martian Manhunter of E-2
      is in space. Joannie Swift went back to college and Volar is looking
      for a place for herself on Earth. Of course, Valor is on Rokyn. As
      for Rip Hunter, Cave Carson, and the others, they are still active
      when needed."

      The male JLAers shook hands with the mutant hero and Hawkwoman kissed
      his cheek before they departed.

      Then, Captain Comet turned to Dolphin, Starman, and Lady Blackhawk.

      "I appreciate your support and friendship. Will, you've already made
      me proud. I know you have big things in your future. "

      Starman smiled and said, "Thanks, Adam. I owe a lot to you. I know
      you've done more for me than you'll admit!"

      Dolphin kissed Captain Comet's cheek and said, "I'll miss you so
      much. You helped me grow in so many ways. Ever since Crisis, you've
      been wonderful to me. I owe my very identity to you!"

      Captain Comet said, "You have a family now and they care for you as
      much as I do. You'll be okay, Mara!"

      He hugged her and then took Lady Blackhawk's hand in his own.

      "Zinda, take care of yourself. I'll miss you, Cousin!" he said.

      She nodded and said, "I'll miss you too. Still, I'll think about you
      every time I look up at the stars!"

      Captain Comet waved to the trio and then climbed into his sleek
      spacecraft the Cometeer.

      He flew off and glanced backward at the rapidly shrinking planet as
      he piloted expertly into space!

      "I don't know when I'll return but it's comforting to know the planet
      is being taken care of by such a noble group of men and women. When I
      left Earth for the first time, I had no idea that so many amazing
      heroes and heroines would come into being!"
    • libbylawrence
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2004
        Captain Comet remembered his first long term departure from Earth
        back in July 1954. He had been motivated by several feelings.

        "I always felt like a man apart from others. My mutant powers caused
        me to always see myself as separate from ordinary folks. Oh, I never
        felt better than them or superior. On the contrary, I often felt like
        a freak or misfit. Still, I learned to use my powers to help others
        and I never cared much for self-pity; however, I always hoped there
        might be something more for me out there in the darkness of space!"

        He shook his head and concentrated on his piloting until he saw an
        strange craft hovering in space.

        "Strange, that ship doesn't appear to be damaged but something feels
        wrong about it! I can't say I recognize the design either."

        He turned to adjust his communications system and failed to pick up
        any signal or distress or of warning.

        However, his keen mind felt a whisper brush across his thoughts.

        "Telepathy! Someone inside that ship is trying to contact me with her
        mind!" he said.

        He drew closer and exited from a portal on his ship. His mental
        powers enabled him to surround himself with a tightly focused oxygen
        field drawn from the interior of his ship.

        Using his jet belt, he flew over to the stranded ship and managed to
        enter through a side portal.

        "No security system to speak of. Or was it damaged? This doesn't feel
        like a trap. I think I'd recognize one by now!" he thought.

        He moved through the dimly illuminated ship and reached the deck
        where he spotted a strange sight.

        A beautiful woman with light green skin and hair rested in a chamber
        that seemed to keep her in a form of suspended animation.

        "A robotic guidance system piloted the ship but something disabled
        it. The other functions of the ship ate workings. Life support and
        so on. I can drop my oxygen field."

        He examined the pod and frowned as the woman's bodily features
        became readily apparent.

        "This is not merely a suspended animation chamber. The woman's
        pregnant! This is a gestation pod!"

        He heard a voice in his mind as his hands expertly examined the pod.

        "This One needs your aid! This One's time has come! New life must be
        ushered into being!"

        Captain Comet said, "Great Scott! The woman's in labor. I don't know
        how long that pod kept her pregnancy in a state of stasis or even how
        long the normal period of development would be for her but she
        clearly needs help!"
      • libbylawrence
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18, 2004
          He worked quickly as his advanced mind grasped the workings of the
          alien pod.

          He managed to open it and helped her raise her head.

          "This One thanks you. The Child is ready to be born!"

          Captain Comet nodded and realized that in spite of her altered form,
          the woman was apparently closely related to Earthlings.

          "She might even be native to Earth but her appearance was altered in
          some manner!

          "Rest easy, I can help you. The child will be fine. I know what to
          do."

          She smiled and said, "Willow thanks you!"

          Hours later, Captain Comet held a small baby boy in his hands and
          sighed with relief.

          "The child is healthy. The delivery process confirms my suspicion
          that Willow was originally an Earth woman!"

          He carefully placed the baby in a nearby resting place which had
          apparently been designed for that purpose.

          The next day he sat with Willow and listened to her story.

          "This One was born on Earth or an Earth if not this exact one. After
          a time with heroes and villains, This One realized her destiny was to
          be found in motherhood. The Child was special and would be gifted in
          ways beyond my reckoning. He would have cosmic powers!"

          Captain Comet said, "What happened to the father?"

          Willow smiled enigmatically and said, "The male parent was a champion
          of great power and humanity. That humanity led to his early death.
          This One carries much of him with me still! His voice guides and
          comforts me. He led me first to your Earth in order that my gestation
          would occur in a setting in which This One knew the current of life
          would flow naturally. This One found such an isle with help of a
          hero known to you. His name was Atom Ray Palmer."

          Captain Comet nodded. "Ray has not been the Atom for sometime now.
          Either your return to space warped your through time to the present
          day from his past or you've been in that pod for years!"

          Willow said, "Willow is the promise of life. Each step of my
          gestation required certain exact harmonious elements to align! Thus,
          This One gently wafted through space within a carefully nurtured
          electronic stasis until the correct moment arrived!"

          Comet said, "But, some accident damaged the system! You might have
          remained in that limbo for eons if I had no found you!"

          Willow said, "On the contrary. This One is in perfect union with the
          cosmos. You found me when the time was right. You were always
          destined to find me…as we are destined to be together!"

          Captain Comet said, "Hold on, there! I'm not much of a New Age kind
          of guy. Are you trying to say that you remained in that pod
          deliberately until I came along? You could have contacted me anytime
          earlier if you had to find me. I was active on Earth during Ray's
          time as Atom!"

          Willow said, "Atom Ray was destined to protect me from my enemy the
          Construct. You were not meant to enter This One's life until you did!"

          Captain Comet shook his head.

          "Fascinating! I'll take that on faith for now. Willow, why did you
          want to find me in particular? Couldn't any number of beings
          delivered the baby?"

          Willow smiled and said, "You were the One meant to do so since you
          will be the One to help me parent the Child. You too are a Man of
          Destiny. You will be the perfect father for the Child!"

          Captain Comet gasped and said, "You move pretty quickly, Willow. I'm
          not planning to settle down. I'm heading out into deep space!"

          Willow took his hand and said, "All the better for our child to be
          raised in the glorious one-ness with the universe!"

          Captain Comet said, "Willow, I'm not going to abandon you or the
          baby. He's a cute child. I'll help you get to your destination but I
          can't make any promises after that!"

          Willow leaned over and kissed him.

          "This One knows what is meant to be. You will love me in time. You
          will be the father my late partner would have been!"

          Captain Comet said nothing but his keen mind raced.

          "I'm always tried to think my way through every situation but
          something tells me this might be the right thing to do. I don't know
          that I fully believe Willow's certainty about destiny but she
          intrigues me and helping a child with powers feel like less of an
          outsider than I did when I was growing up is certainly as important
          or more important than being a hero. Just maybe fatherhood is a
          higher
          calling. Maybe, this Man of Destiny has found his own purpose after
          so many years!"

          He smiled down at the baby and felt contentment.

          The Beginning!
        • mcmaenza
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 18, 2004
            Libby, nice story. It puts a nice end note on what you did with the
            Forgotten Heroes and moves Captain Comet out to an element where he
            can have some rather interesting adventures. I see too that you
            brought back another forgotten character of sorts - Willow from the
            Steve Englehart JLA run. I always found her to be sort of another
            play on his character Mantis from the Avengers days, but perhaps
            with Comet she can evolve into something interesting.

            Martin
          • libbylawrence
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2004
              Thanks. She'll definitely move past the Mantis role in time.

              (Except for the fact that SE clearly said she was an Earth woman, I'd
              have claimed she came from Angor.)
            • Doc Quantum of The Time Trust
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2004
                Libby, I finally got around to catching up on the
                stories. I like the way you brought back this old plot
                thread, and I hope to see more of this Willow soon,
                not to mention more "solo" Captain Comet adventures.

                Doc

                =====
                The Time Trust on the Web:
                http://members.shaw.ca/TheTimeTrust/

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • libbylawrence
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
                  Thanks. He'll meet up with an infamous fellow when he next appears.
                • starsky_hutch76
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
                    --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, libbylawrence
                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Thanks. He'll meet up with an infamous fellow when he next appears.

                    Down the road, it could also be interesting to see him meet up with
                    other space opera type heroes like the Omega Men, Adam Strange, or
                    LEGION.
                  • libbylawrence
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
                      I never read the OM series -only knew them from GL, Titans, etc. but
                      that would be a good idea.