Rip Hunter

  • Doc Quantum
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 12 11:47 AM
      --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Asbury"
      <bkasbury@h...> wrote:
      > --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, starsky_hutch76
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > I know we've already done this sort of thing with Rip Hunter,
      but
      > it
      > > seems like a big mistake. If he started in the fifties, he'd be
      > > pretty old by 87 and he sure didn't look it in DC Comics
      Presents
      > > when he appeared with the Forgotten Heroes.
      >

      > Well, perhaps there's an untold story here. Rip and his team
      visited
      > some pretty exotic places in their time travelling, and maybe they
      > got rejuvenated at some point. Or maybe at some point they were
      > thrown forward in time and found there was a whole chunk of what
      > should have been their own history that they couldn't get back to -
      -
      > maybe due to the machinations of some villain who didn't want time
      > travellers interfering with his plans.
      >
      > They wouldn't be that old, anyway. If Rip, Jeff and Bonnie were in
      > their twenties in the 1960s, they'd still only be in their forties
      in
      > the 1980s. Corky would be grown-up, of course, but that's hardly a
      > problem.

      Rip Hunter and the gang never actually lived all through those
      decades in normal time, though. The fact is that they're time-
      travellers and that the history of their adventures after their last
      published one in the mid-'60s (an issue I own, in fact) is largely
      unknown.

      The fact is that they never interacted with the DCU until the late
      1970s when they showed up again in an issue of JLA and the
      CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN revival series, not looking a day older
      than the last time they were seen. Why should time travellers be
      bound to age in real time like any other character, especially since
      the comic they starred in was cancelled not too long after it began.

      As far as the timeline goes, I tried to preserve as much of the real-
      time aspects as possible, only putting those characters and teams
      who HAD to be in the shrunken timeline there. After all, the biggest
      problem was Dick Grayson, who grew at an extremely slow rate in real
      time, and he interacted with Batman, who interacted with the entire
      JLA membership, who interacted with heroes A, B, C, D, E, et cetera.
      There were a few exceptions who never interacted with any others in
      the DCU until much, much later, who were able to be preserved in the
      time they debuted. Rip Hunter and his crew are a pure product of the
      1950s, for example, and it would be a shame to have to advance them
      forward with the JLA characters for no reason.

      Doc
    • libbylawrence
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 12 11:53 AM
        Out of curiosity, do you think we could assume certain other seldom
        seen types also really had their adventures when they were published
        in 50's, 60's etc. Obscure guys like Captain Compass etc. I showed
        him as an older man now so I hope that's the case.
      • Doc Quantum
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 12 11:57 AM
          --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, harveykent
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I'm afraid I have to question one of these. The Earth-One
          Vigilante
          > began his career in 1967? In JLA #78, the Justice Leaguers say
          that
          > he was active when they were kids. By our reckoning most of the
          > Leaguers would have been in high school in '67; technically "kids"
          > suppose, but their words implied younger than that, to me.

          This was done because it was later stated that Superboy was Earth-
          1's first superhero, and that there were no superheroes in the 1940s
          on Earth-1. Remember that DC Comics was fairly contradictory in the
          1970s when all these golden age heroes were re-introduced as being
          native to Earth-1 yet also active in the 1940s on Earth-1 (and there
          were other, separate continuity problems arising mostly from Bob
          Haney's BRAVE AND THE BOLD issues) -- it wasn't until the 1980s that
          certain policies began to arise to stop these contradictory
          continuities. One of them was that there weren't any golden age
          heroes on Earth-1. Therefore, I tried to adjust the timeline so that
          Earth-1's "golden age" heroes debuted in the 1960s rather than the
          1940s -- especially since they certainly didn't age like 1940s
          heroes would have when they reappeared in the present. They seemed
          more recent than that. If it's a problem with the Earth-1 Vigilante,
          however, an exception could be made for him, and he could be pushed
          back to the late 1950s just after Superboy or in the early 1960s, I
          don't know. I'm just explaining my rationale for how it was done.
          It's up to the group to decide whether it needs to be changed.

          Doc
        • mcmaenza
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 12 12:47 PM
            Doc, I like your rationale to this (ie. Rip and company not being
            bound by linear aging and such). The other thing that I always
            dealt with for my time travel type heroes in my role-playing-game
            universes is that extensive time travel has some effect on the
            travellers (ie. retarding their body aging process due to extended
            exposure to the time stream energy, etc.).

            Martin
          • libbylawrence
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 12 3:11 PM
              Vigilante is dead now anyway. By the way, I wondered if anyone plans
              to use the Titans Vigilante- Adrian Chase again?
            • mcmaenza
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 12 4:31 PM
                --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, libbylawrence
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Vigilante is dead now anyway. By the way, I wondered if anyone
                plans
                > to use the Titans Vigilante- Adrian Chase again?

                Vigilante II (Adrian) did appear as part of the Invasion (during the
                chapters with the Hybrid). So we made sure he was active.