Re: A Case of the Creeps (6)

  • mcmaenza
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2003
      'Cat, glad to see this one continue. The Creeper and Deadman are
      some of my favorite second tier characters.

      Martin
    • immortalwildcat
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
        "What the hell is that?" screamed Mick, diving through a doorway as a
        yellow, green and red cyclone swept through the room.

        "I don't know, but we shoulda had that to scare the TV crew!"
        responded Gary as he struggled to free himself of his disguise. The
        sheet was heavy with syrup and flour, and he was still disentangling
        himself with a fist slammed into his head.

        "Silly man, aren't you a little old for trick or treat?" uttered the
        bizarre creature as he seeming bounced away from the punch toward
        Mick. "Now, where's your friend?"

        "Right here, you damned freak!" screamed Mick, swinging a tire iron
        at the Creeper. The costumed hero flipped back away from the swing,
        his feet coming up to catch the criminal under the chin. Mick went
        sailing across the room, slamming into the opposite wall. Checking
        both men, the Creeper found them both unconscious. He quickly bound
        them with strips of cloth from the ghost costume.

        "Sounded like they had another partner somewhere. I'll have to track
        him down before he causes any trouble."

        At that moment, the halogen lights that had been placed throughout
        the mansion by the television crew all went dark.
      • immortalwildcat
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
          "Dad-blasted, frazzing, furgin' switch box!" A metallic crash echoed
          through the darkened basement, followed by a stream of muttered
          curses.

          "Hmm, I wonder where the crooked little wannabe electrician might be
          hiding," mused Deadman as he drifted down into the basement. The
          darkness was no impediment to the ghost, as he homed in on the sole
          living being in the massive space below the mansion. He was just
          about to dive into the man's body when a door opened above and the
          light of a high-powered flashlight flooded the basement.

          "Hey, there's somebody down here!" cried a voice. "Looks like he was
          messing with the power linkages!" A half-dozen people started down
          the steps. "Get him out of there, and get that power going before we
          come back from commercial, or we're screwed!"

          Don Mallard dove away from the switch box, unknowingly evading the
          unseen Deadman in the process. As the assortment of technicians
          swarmed through the basement, Don crawled along the floor, seeking an
          exit. He crawled under a rusting set of laundry tubs, making his way
          toward a dumbwaiter that he had spotted earlier.

          "Blast it, can't spot his aura in this crowd now, and I still ain't
          seen his face." Deadman hovered over the scene, trying to spot his
          quarry.

          Looking back toward the crowd, Don rose up on his knees and started
          lifting the roll-up door on the dumb waiter.

          "Thank you kindly!" screeched the Creeper as he burst out from the
          shaft of the dumbwaiter. "Oddly enough, they don't have handles on
          the inside of those things!"

          "Gaaah! What are you?" screamed Don. The others turned toward them,
          watching as a seemingly-normal looking man was attacked by a bizarre
          figure bursting into the room.

          "That freak must be the one messing with the show!" yelled Andy
          Pickard. "Get him!"

          "Aw, man, not again," muttered the Creeper as the crowd started
          chasing him around the basement.
        • immortalwildcat
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
            In the darkened basement of the leFarge mansion's basement, beams of
            light swept around, seeking the Creeper. Six men spread out,
            seeking the garish being they believed responsible for blacking out
            the building and the live television broadcast taking place.

            The Creeper, while trying to evade capture, was seeking the true
            culprit. Unbeknownst to him, another was seeking that same criminal.

            Now that the freak show has spooked Donny-boy, I can hop in his body
            and let Creepster bag him, thought Deadman. As he dove toward the
            prone criminal, he spotted something more urgent that made him
            change direction.

            "Don't worry, guys, I'll bring him down!" cried one of the men,
            pulling a pistol from his waistband. He held the gun in both hands,
            sighting down the barrel at the bright yellow patch of skin that was
            visible in the shadows. Changing direction with a speed possible
            only for a ghost, Deadman veered over and passed unseen into the
            body of the gunman. His hand was already squeezing the trigger, but
            Deadman managed to jerk his arm upward so that the shot missed, and
            the bullet struck one of the heavy wooden beams supporting the floor
            above.

            The sound of the gunshot made everybody freeze. "Christ, Harv, what
            the hell did you bring that thing for? You might kill somebody!"
            Another man reached out to grab the pistol, meeting no resistance as
            the Deadman-possessed shooter let go of the pistol. The Creeper saw
            this out of the corner of his eye, and took advantage of the
            distraction to catch up with Don Mallard, who was moving in a low,
            crouching walk toward the stairs leading up to an outside exit. As
            Mallard reached for the door, the Creeper launched himself up the
            stairs, slamming into the back of the crook. Together, they crashed
            through to door and into the long untended garden. Two swift
            punches, and Mallard was no longer in the world of the waking.

            Funny, mused the Creeper, I was sure that guy had a clear shot at
            me. It was almost as if someone got hold of his gun hand or
            something, but there wasn't anybody there. Was there?
          • immortalwildcat
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
              After a short delay that was filled with stock footage assembled
              just in case of a problem with the live broadcast, Jack Ryder was on
              the air again, escorting his viewers on a televised tour of the
              mansion. In the kitchen, the hanging pots and pans rattled on cue,
              just as the special effects people had arranged. The camera on the
              main staircase remained focused on nothing. Passing through the spot
              where the fake ghost had appeared earlier, Jack shivered.

              "Amelia leFarge may not be here tonight, but it sure feels like
              something has been here recently," intoned Jack, with a hint of
              menace in his voice. The cameraman had to stifle a laugh as he
              followed.

              The show was entering its last few minutes as the tour ended in the
              solarium. The plan was for Jack to express his regrets that they
              hadn't been able to capture the ghosts on the camera that night, and
              to promise a follow-up special. The camera was then to look out the
              door over the long-wild gardens, and the credits would roll over
              that shot.

              Jack entered the room, waiting for the temporary lighting to come on
              as they had rehearsed earlier. When it did not, the cameraman turned
              on a small spotlight mounted on the camera dolly, and they continued.

              "Well, friends, it appears that we have run out of time tonight.
              Regrettably, Miss leFarge chose not to favor us with her presence
              tonight, but-"

              "I beg your pardon?" Jack started at the sound of the light,
              feminine voice off to his left. The camera turned, and on the edge
              of the spotlight they both saw a young woman sitting on a divan that
              had not been there earlier in the day. "Am I to understand that you
              are looking for - *gasp."

              "Is, um, something wrong?" asked Jack, hesitation evident in his
              usual brash voice.

              "Adrian! You've returned at last!" The ghost of Amelia leFarge
              started toward Jack, but stopped. "Oh, you're not him. But you look
              very much like him." She turned and looked at a dusty painting on
              the wall. Both Jack and the cameraman gawked as they saw the image
              of this same young lady paired with a man bearing a striking
              resemblance to the reporter.

              "Actually, I have returned, my love." Three heads, two living and
              one not, turned toward the terrace. There stood the translucent
              image of a man in a battered World War I infantry uniform. "Thanks
              to the help of your friend here." He gestured to his left, but only
              Amelia leFarge could see the white-faced man in the red and black
              costume standing there with a smile on his face.
            • immortalwildcat
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
                At last!

                Sorry for the long delay on the conclusion of this story folks.
                Last couple months have been nuts, like most of the rest of the
                year. Now, I've got to dash off for a job interview...

                da 'Cat!
              • mcmaenza
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
                  --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, immortalwildcat
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Sorry for the long delay on the conclusion of this story folks.
                  > Last couple months have been nuts, like most of the rest of the
                  > year. Now, I've got to dash off for a job interview...

                  'Cat, good deal. And just under the wire too (as I am doing an E-1
                  archive update on Wednesday to tie out 2003). I hope the interview
                  goes well!

                  Martin
                • libbylawrence
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
                    Nice ending. I enjoyed seeing these two lesser lights in DC's
                    universe. Good luck with your job interview!
                  • immortalwildcat
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
                      --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, libbylawrence
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > Nice ending. I enjoyed seeing these two lesser lights in DC's
                      > universe. Good luck with your job interview!

                      Libby and Martin, thank you. You must have been helping my karma,
                      because, barring any surprises on the drug and background tests, I
                      start work on Monday. Normal, full-time employment at last!

                      da 'Cat!
                    • libbylawrence
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 30, 2003
                        Congratulations!