Re: The Big Schwab (pt12)

  • mcmaenza
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In Earth1AftertheCrisis@yahoogroups.com, immortalwildcat
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I recall working at Radio Shack in the fall of 84, and getting our
      > very first CD player. They had to send a demo CD out with it
      > because it was still hard to buy CDs yet. Still, by the time I
      got
      > out of college in early 85 it was getting hard to find vinyl.
      > Cassettes were the big thing for a few years there. I think most
      of
      > the new releases were still ocming out on vinyl, but at least
      around
      > here the shops weren't carrying them.

      'Cat - that's funny. I distinctly remember hitting record shops in
      Rochester during college and getting vinyl (tons of it) for newer
      releases well through when I graduated in 1987. Even the campus
      store carried vinyl (and cassettes) but hardly any CDs at the time.

      It probably depended upon the location of the country as to when
      vinyl phased out and CDs phased in. Bigger cities seemed to hold
      out longer, I suspect. And since Starsky's story takes place in
      Metropolis (that is where the Bug lives, right?), I would gather
      vinyl would still be plentiful in 1987.

      But we digress. ;)

      Martin
    • starsky_hutch76
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 4, 2003
        I'm really surprised there haven't been more comments after the ending of this
        tale.