Re: Forges

  • Sam F
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
      Hello Daniele.
      Charcoal definitely is NOT scarce. Royaly Oak lump charcoal works great - you can get it at any Canadian Tire. It's what I use for my SCA / Norse travel forge - and YES can get welding temperatures out of charcoal. Just don't use any "briquette" charcoal (eg. Kingsford). That stuff is horrible and a useless smithing fuel - I wouldn't even cook with it. :)

      I would recommend going to charcoal over going to propane - just my opinion. Good luck.

      --- In EaldormereBlacksmithguild@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Kronenfeld <nkronenfeld@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of good instructions for building a propane forge? Coal is
      > a bit too messy for my neighbors, here in the midst of suburbia, and I
      > assume charcoal of the sort one would need is probably a little scarce these
      > days.
      >
      > -Daniele di Padola

    • Helmut's Forge
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
        You can try these people for propane burners to build a forge around.
        http://zoellerforge.com/
        I have two of them, a standard 1" and a smaller 3/4 " . They sell them as a kit with everything need from the tank to the flame. You build the oven.
        I use Charcoal in my reenactment demo forge as well, with a large two burner propane as my main forge. The small burner makes a small forge for doing copper/bronze forging or small knives.

        Helmut

        On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Sam F <oakhammer.forge@...> wrote:

        Hello Daniele.
        Charcoal definitely is NOT scarce. Royaly Oak lump charcoal works great - you can get it at any Canadian Tire. It's what I use for my SCA / Norse travel forge - and YES can get welding temperatures out of charcoal. Just don't use any "briquette" charcoal (eg. Kingsford). That stuff is horrible and a useless smithing fuel - I wouldn't even cook with it. :)

        I would recommend going to charcoal over going to propane - just my opinion. Good luck.

        --- In EaldormereBlacksmithguild@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Kronenfeld <nkronenfeld@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know of good instructions for building a propane forge? Coal is
        > a bit too messy for my neighbors, here in the midst of suburbia, and I
        > assume charcoal of the sort one would need is probably a little scarce these
        > days.
        >
        > -Daniele di Padola

      • Sam F
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010