Introduction

  • Darrell @ the Wareham Forge
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
      Henrietta had ran this concept past me a week ago. My comment at the time was that many working blacksmiths are extreme technophobes. The two sides of this (computers and forges) are rarely seen on the same coin. I guess we shall see.

      Although rarely seen around the SCA these days, I guess I do count as a heavyweight here (at least in terms of smithing experience!)

      http://www.warehamforge.ca

      My specialities:
      iron smelting
      Viking Age
      pattern welding

      Darrell
      aka - Sylard
      (PS - some trivia, guess what my Laurel was REALLY for!)
    • thorolfrsmithr
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
        Hello all,

        I call myself smith, though I recognize that I am still very much an amateur. Hopefully this does not offend those of you who really are smiths.

        I very much enjoy working with metal (amongst other materials) and look forward to learning more.

        ::thorolfr::
      • thoravolundsdottir
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
          No offense taken, I assure you :)

          We all have started somewere, even in our own backyards.

          Welcome, from were in Ealdormere do you hail from?

          Thora V

          --- In EaldormereBlacksmithguild@yahoogroups.com, "thorolfrsmithr" <thorolfr@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I call myself smith, though I recognize that I am still very much an amateur. Hopefully this does not offend those of you who really are smiths.
          >
          > I very much enjoy working with metal (amongst other materials) and look forward to learning more.
          >
          > ::thorolfr::

        • thoravolundsdottir
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
            Sylard, you are always welcome at my forge, and I'm glad for your input both at the fire and on the net :)

            And you know what, I should know what your laurel was for but it eludes me right now for some reason...does it count if I call Syglinde and ask her??? hehe

            did it have to do with fabric?

            Thora

            --- In EaldormereBlacksmithguild@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell @ the Wareham Forge" <wareham@...> wrote:

            > Henrietta had ran this concept past me a week ago. My comment at the time was that many working blacksmiths are extreme technophobes. The two sides of this (computers and forges) are rarely seen on the same coin. I guess we shall see.
            >
            > Although rarely seen around the SCA these days, I guess I do count as a heavyweight here (at least in terms of smithing experience!)
            >
            > http://www.warehamforge.ca
            >
            > My specialities:
            > iron smelting
            > Viking Age
            > pattern welding
            >
            > Darrell
            > aka - Sylard
            > (PS - some trivia, guess what my Laurel was REALLY for!)

          • trudi_wales
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
              Hwaet!

              I'm Sciath, residing in Rising Waters, and although I do not have any area to have my own forge :-( That being said, I spent my entire Pensic in blacksmith class, and hanging out at a merchant forge (finagling as much time on the forge as possible). I even picked up some tools, in preparation for the future time when we have a house that has an appropriate place for a forge.

              And, to think, it all started at a forge party in An Tir, with the sound of the hammer calling me (and my penny whistle). I played with the forge until the sun came up (well, played my whistle to the hammer's beat). And, promptly slept through the battle the next day...

              YIS,
              Sciath ingen Chaennaig
            • dblacksmith23
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2010
                I should give some introduction as many of the new members will not know me.
                In the SCA I am Breneth although I have not been active for a number of years.
                Life and full time smithing has gotten in the way of weekend events.

                I apprenticed with Sylard it seems a 100 years ago ( a goodly number of years any ways).
                I am happy to help beginning smiths with their learning.

                The vast majority of the information that you need to know about me can be found on
                My website www.artistblacksmith.com  General stuff like opened business in 1987 etc.

                I am looking forward to seeing the spark catch here and who knows perhaps Sylard and
                I might show up at an event together and you could pick our brains.

                Be Well
                David Robertson
                (Breneth)
              • Gann
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 19, 2010
                  Hail Sciath!

                  That Forge Party you mentioned, in An-tir. It didn't happen to be hosted by a certain Master... ah darn, I forget his name, but there used to be this guy who would do a smithing demonstration at camping events, usually at night under torches, with propane forges(2 at the one I saw, I belive it was at a spring crown). He'd do something ambitious, like pounding a large knifeblade out of an axle, usually with the help of some sturdy onlookers to swing the big hammers. It was one of the most awesome things I'd ever seen at an event. Of course this is years ago now(almost 10) so i may be looking back through rose colored glasses....

                  A former An-tirian
                  Gann

                • Darrell @ the Wareham Forge
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 24, 2010
                    --- In EaldormereBlacksmithguild@yahoogroups.com, "dblacksmith23" <drobertson@...> wrote:

                    > In the SCA I am Breneth although I have not been active for a number of
                    > years.

                    David and I had our starts in metalwork via our involvement in the SCA. Its fairly safe to say that he and I are the only two have gone on to become full time artisan blacksmiths. (Although Robb Martin - Thak, and Bill Ferdun - Yuesef, should be mentioned.)

                    We have been active on the internet since its inception. Both of us support huge web sites. Please DO dig around in those, as so much of what are likely to be basic questions are covered there.

                    We have taken two differing approaches to sharing further information in detail.
                    I have a long duration blog, which focuses primarily on Viking Age, Blacksmithing. Iron Smelting (and being an opinionated old phart).
                    David recruits people to join his 'Artisan Blacksmith dot com'. Members recieve regular newsletters on individual topics.

                    Both sources are rich and valuable. Make use of the combined experience of decades of screwing up...

                    Darrell
                  • kitaye
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 8, 2011
                      Grettings. I am Kaolin of Harrowgate Heath. I do little bit of everything, including some metal work. I have yet to work with hot metal but I hope to remedy that soon. I am a complete newb to this stuff and will most likely lurk and learn for the forseable future.
                    • Henrietta Verwey
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 8, 2011
                        Welcome Kaolin glad you're here.  Don't hesitate to ask  questions, we have a great group of smiths here and alot of knowledge just waiting to be used. Also check out previous posts to what has been up for discussion.   Speaking of which I need to get on this months question.

                        YIS

                        Lady Thora