Re: [EaldormereBlacksmithguild] Digest Number 85

  • Darrell Markewitz
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2012
      On 13/10/12 4:09 AM, EaldormereBlacksmithguild@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > Yahoo! Groups
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaG9oYjQ3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzcxMzgyOTU2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2Mjk5MQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTM1MDExNTc0Mw-->
      >
      > Blacksmiths Guild of Ealdormere Group
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EaldormereBlacksmithguild;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNnVhMW02BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzcxMzgyOTU2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2Mjk5MQRzZWMDaGRyBHNsawNocGgEc3RpbWUDMTM1MDExNTc0Mw-->
      >

      > 1 New Message
      >
      > Digest #85
      > 1
      > Railroad anvils <#1> by "Glenn Martin" fluffyevil1
      >

      > Glen:

      Just who are 'they'?
      I work over the entire surface, and most the edges, of my considerably
      larger than average 225 lb anvil. Cut as you describe, your working area
      would be a T with a bulge at the bottom of the upright, at most an inch
      in diameter? To be honest, is your aim that good at this point?
      Sorry - this is just not practical advise.
      This sounds like advice from the 'make this axe in your wood stove'
      crowd on YouTube. You *can* use almost anything big and heavy for an
      anvil, but all you are doing is adding complexity.

      There was always some discussion if the piece of rail track should be
      mounted with the wide flange up - or the narrow track side. The flange
      is much wider, but is only suitable for light work (over 1/2 with a one
      kilo hammer, and you will feel the narrow flange spring under the
      strokes.). Mounting with the track up means you are not working on a
      flat surface, although it is more stable.

      You would be better off purchasing a piece of 4 x 4 mild steel bar, say
      a foot long. If you got 6 inches long, that would be almost the same
      size as actual Norse artifact anvils.

      --
      *

      ***************************************

      Darrell Markewitz - Artisan Blacksmith
      the Wareham Forge - Historic Reproductions & Architectural Forgings
      <http://www.warehamforge.ca>
      Interpretive Program Design - Norse Replicas / Viking Age Equipment
      <http://www.warehamforge.ca/NORSE-REPRO/norse.html>

      Blog : Hammered Out Bits

      Author of:
      Introduction to Blacksmithing (DVD)
      Historic Bladesmithing (DVD)
      Forging the Viking Age (DVD)
      Experimental Iron Smelting from the Viking Age (CD-ROM)
      Exploring the Viking Age in Denmark (data DVD)
      all available at http://www.warehamforge.ca/video.html

      All materials created by Darrell Markewitz copyrighted the author.
      http://www.warehamforge.ca/copy.html
    • Glenn Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2012

          Want to see fireworks?  Ask a bunch of smiths how to make a nail.  I learned that from Thora.

          This is the site I was looking at….    http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/anvils/making/RR-rail_anvils.php

        There are others but this had the clearest illustrations.

        I’ll be trying the vertical mounting.  If it doesn’t work, I can always make a conventional rr-anvil out of it.

        I am and will continue to search for a good-sized anvil but I can get a lot of work done on this before I have

        the skillset that can really use a full-size anvil.

        Llewellyn