RE: [EaldormereBlacksmithguild] Hammer In?

  • Turtle Weather
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 29, 2011
      Hail Helmut, I believe I met you at the historical merchants event at RBG last weekend(?).  I'd be interested in participating in a Hammer In, although as a novice only.  Thanks for posting!

      Sciath

      To: EaldormereBlacksmithguild@yahoogroups.com
      From: helmutsforge@...
      Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:36:05 -0500
      Subject: Re: [EaldormereBlacksmithguild] Hammer In?

      I am working with a small museum in near Woodstock Ontario that has a 1890's Blacksmith shop. We have been talking about hosting a timeline blacksmithing event. The near by town of Tillsonburg was founded as an iron town because of large deposits of bog iron and was originally called Dereham Forge. So the area has a history of smithing.

      The site has lots of room for forges and camping, over 10 acres, is very accessible, virtually midway between Windsor and Toronto, about 20 minutes off the 401. They host a Civil war reenactment so the town is used to noisy events.

      Being a timeline event all types of equipment and costuming would be acceptable. I demonstrate with a 1790's charcoal forge for the War of 1812.

      Any interest.

      Helmut

      On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Henrietta Verwey <hverweybsmith@...> wrote:

      That sounds like I a great idea, I might even have my norse forge up and running by then too.
      And if we get the same site as this year for Hare, there is a Huge front lawn (i''ll see if there are pics of it)  and more then enough space for us the armoured combatants and fencers and even dancers if they want.  Its a huge out door space for sure.

      I know historically accurate  is of great importance but I don't want to deter new smiths if they actually have a forge to bring out either.  I guess that'll be one for a discussion here as to what we would feel comfortable with and also ideas for bettering our own forges for demos, etc.
      And yes, levels of experience  is really of importance too.  Maybe we could do a" this is a forge: anything in this area can kill you, even the blacksmith" (title copyrighted to me:) ) class during the day," a no touchy class but this is the important things to know class", is always important too.  Depends if the persons bringing out the forge just wants a fun day or a learning day.
      Its finda like a car, you ask if you can drive it before  you try to get into the drivers seat.
      I know, baby steps first but I am  an enthusiast for smithing

      Thora V

       On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Darrell @ the Wareham Forge <wareham@...> wrote:

      > OH and I was thinking that maybe next year we could have a hammer in??? anyone interested??? if there's space that is.
      >
      > Lady Thora V

      Problem is always a combination of available space, more importantly available *time*.

      This suggests a camping event on both scores.

      One question:
      Historic or what is basically 'modern' equipment??

      This might be also defined by the objective - a demonstration, for skills development of the participants, or as public involvement. (And believe me, those are all quite different!)

      One thing I might mention is that the 20 year for Bonfield is coming up this year. I know it is later in the calendar, but also Finnvarr is a willing host for this kind of thing.

      I had been casting around for something to do a bit out of the ordinary. An iron smelt is under consideration, but I already have a proposed public demonstration smelt for early August (just after another possible L'Anse aux Meadows expedition for DARC).

      Bringing my own Viking Age equipment set up might prove much easier.

      Darrell / Sylard

    • Helmut's Forge
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2011
        Thank you all for the interest expressed. I will be attending a meeting with the museum people soon and because of that interest I will start the ball rolling. I already have started to see if I bcan get a supply of local bog iron, I do not know if I can get any of sufficient quality, but I will try. How much would be needed for a good attempt at a smelting demo? I am aware that it depends on the ore quality but a ball park figure would be helpful.
        Helmut