Re: [EaldormereBlacksmithguild] Iron wire??? for needles

  • Helmut's Forge
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011

      I forgot, you might find high quality iron rods at a specialty welding supply shop. At one time they were used in very low carbon applications like repairs in old electrical transformers. Twenty years ago I found them there, today maybe.
      Helmut
    • Darrell Markewitz
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2011
        If you are in a more rural location and have access to a Farm Supply -
        likely also available at TSC.

        buy 'black oiled' fencing wire.
        This is a lower carbon content steel. Sorry, can't off the top of my
        head quote you spec number (although Tim might know?) My guess is that
        it will work out to be something between a 1005 - 1010 (with mild steel
        a 1020 - that is .2% C) Mind you, it normally comes in 10 lb coils at
        about $20. Check also for someone who uses it for chain maile making and
        can provide a scrap.

        The size is roughly 1/8 inch diameter. This puts it closer into the
        range for the needle in the first place. I've not tried it, but you
        likely can hammer work it cold down to a smaller size. It will not
        suffer the same delamination as actual wrought iron (no slag inclusions
        in the wire). I suspect it will slightly work harden (but not very much)
        when worked cold.

        Another possible source material in the small size range would be our
        standard 'soft iron' rivets. Those are made from a 1005 steel (so .O5 %
        C). If she starts with 1/8 x 2 inch long it might provide enough
        material for a needle (although harder to hang on to that a piece of wire!)

        Tell the individual if she gets stuck finding either (both purchased in
        bulk after all!) that she can contact me directly (info@...)
        and I would be happy to mail her a bit of both types.

        Darrell / Sylard

        Darrell Markewitz - Artisan Blacksmith
        the Wareham Forge - Historic Reproductions & Architectural Forgings
        <http://www.warehamforge.ca>
        Interpretive Program Design - Norse Replicas / Viking Age Equipment
        <http://www.warehamforge.ca/NORSE-REPRO/norse.html>

        Blog : Hammered Out Bits

        Author of:
        Introduction to Blacksmithing (DVD)
        Historic Bladesmithing (DVD)
        Forging the Viking Age (DVD)
        Experimental Iron Smelting from the Viking Age (CD-ROM)
        Exploring the Viking Age in Denmark (data DVD)
        all available at http://www.warehamforge.ca/video.html

        All materials created by Darrell Markewitz copyrighted the author.
        http://www.warehamforge.ca/copy.html