Iron wire??? for needles

  • thoravolundsdottir
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011
      Ok, I have been asked an interesting question.

      One of our ladies in Caldrithig is thinking of making needles and her research has given her that the metal ones were made out of iron wire....
      is this something that she can buy? do they make just pure iron wire still? were would someone accuire this? and has anyone made a pure iron needle before??

      any insight would be greatly appreciated and I will make sure to pass on the info too :)

      Lady Thora V
    • Sam Falzone
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011

        She may have more luck finding iron nails.

        It may require a bit more hammering into shape, but may also yield better results.

        I’m also looking into making iron and bronze needles but I haven’t really gotten past the “thinking about it” stage.

        sam

        Ok, I have been asked an interesting question.

        One of our ladies in Caldrithig is thinking of making needles and her research has given her that the metal ones were made out of iron wire....
        is this something that she can buy? do they make just pure iron wire still? were would someone accuire this? and has anyone made a pure iron needle before??

        any insight would be greatly appreciated and I will make sure to pass on the info too :)

        Lady Thora V

        No virus found in this message.

      • Helmut's Forge
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011
          Sam
          wrought iron nails would not be the best, my experience with them is that the quality of the iron was not the best. They seem to have a lot of small voids that result in delamination, particularly forging to fine points. If you try them, forge very hot, oranges with minimum hammer blows per heat. As large as they may seem iron rings from wheel hubs or barn hinges are usually a better quality iron. Especially try areas where they have been welded. I forge a lot of small wrought iron pieces these days, actually more iron than steel, and a 3 inch long piece is a big forging, most are under two inches. I had to create a small gas forge set up, my big hammer is 4 oz.,and I use stakes rather than anvils.
          Always remember, forge iron at higher heats than steel, the fibrous nature will cause delamination when worked too cold.
          Helmut

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011

            I forgot, you might find high quality iron rods at a specialty welding supply shop. At one time they were used in very low carbon applications like repairs in old electrical transformers. Twenty years ago I found them there, today maybe.
            Helmut
          • Darrell Markewitz
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2011
              If you are in a more rural location and have access to a Farm Supply -
              likely also available at TSC.

              buy 'black oiled' fencing wire.
              This is a lower carbon content steel. Sorry, can't off the top of my
              head quote you spec number (although Tim might know?) My guess is that
              it will work out to be something between a 1005 - 1010 (with mild steel
              a 1020 - that is .2% C) Mind you, it normally comes in 10 lb coils at
              about $20. Check also for someone who uses it for chain maile making and
              can provide a scrap.

              The size is roughly 1/8 inch diameter. This puts it closer into the
              range for the needle in the first place. I've not tried it, but you
              likely can hammer work it cold down to a smaller size. It will not
              suffer the same delamination as actual wrought iron (no slag inclusions
              in the wire). I suspect it will slightly work harden (but not very much)
              when worked cold.

              Another possible source material in the small size range would be our
              standard 'soft iron' rivets. Those are made from a 1005 steel (so .O5 %
              C). If she starts with 1/8 x 2 inch long it might provide enough
              material for a needle (although harder to hang on to that a piece of wire!)

              Tell the individual if she gets stuck finding either (both purchased in
              bulk after all!) that she can contact me directly (info@...)
              and I would be happy to mail her a bit of both types.

              Darrell / Sylard

              Darrell Markewitz - Artisan Blacksmith
              the Wareham Forge - Historic Reproductions & Architectural Forgings
              <http://www.warehamforge.ca>
              Interpretive Program Design - Norse Replicas / Viking Age Equipment
              <http://www.warehamforge.ca/NORSE-REPRO/norse.html>

              Blog : Hammered Out Bits

              Author of:
              Introduction to Blacksmithing (DVD)
              Historic Bladesmithing (DVD)
              Forging the Viking Age (DVD)
              Experimental Iron Smelting from the Viking Age (CD-ROM)
              Exploring the Viking Age in Denmark (data DVD)
              all available at http://www.warehamforge.ca/video.html

              All materials created by Darrell Markewitz copyrighted the author.
              http://www.warehamforge.ca/copy.html