Hare court

  • thoravolundsdottir
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 25, 2011
      Hi everyone
      Just a little blurb about the table at Hare, pictures to follow, we had a great response from everyone at the event. People asking questions enjoying the pieces that were brought out to show from Aurik, and Fluffy and myself and the pictures in the new album too. My dream would be to have a table at each event so that others of like mind can sit and chat and have a fun time. So if you want to, feel free to set up a table at your next event too.

      I also went up in court and for my baronial taxes did two things, one was to paint( free hand) a copy of the heraldry for the EBG on a board, and I made sure to give credit were credit was due and let them know that Sam was the creator of our heraldry, sorry if I mangled your SCA name Sam, trust me there were many at the front who were nice enough to correct me :) I'll tell you about it later over some mead.

      My second piece I did for my taxes was a viking key, which I then gave as a present to their majesties, since our taxes were either presence or presents...
      It also has my first touch mark on it too. I finally decided on a norse touch mark, only took eight years. (pics to follow on that one too)
      All in all it was a great day for the smiths of our realm.

      OH and I was thinking that maybe next year we could have a hammer in??? anyone interested??? if there's space that is.

      Yours in Service

      Lady Thora V
    • Darrell @ the Wareham Forge
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011
        > OH and I was thinking that maybe next year we could have a hammer in??? anyone interested??? if there's space that is.
        >
        > Lady Thora V

        Problem is always a combination of available space, more importantly available *time*.

        This suggests a camping event on both scores.

        One question:
        Historic or what is basically 'modern' equipment??

        This might be also defined by the objective - a demonstration, for skills development of the participants, or as public involvement. (And believe me, those are all quite different!)

        One thing I might mention is that the 20 year for Bonfield is coming up this year. I know it is later in the calendar, but also Finnvarr is a willing host for this kind of thing.

        I had been casting around for something to do a bit out of the ordinary. An iron smelt is under consideration, but I already have a proposed public demonstration smelt for early August (just after another possible L'Anse aux Meadows expedition for DARC).

        Bringing my own Viking Age equipment set up might prove much easier.

        Darrell / Sylard
      • Henrietta Verwey
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011
          That sounds like I a great idea, I might even have my norse forge up and running by then too.
          And if we get the same site as this year for Hare, there is a Huge front lawn (i''ll see if there are pics of it)  and more then enough space for us the armoured combatants and fencers and even dancers if they want.  Its a huge out door space for sure.

          I know historically accurate  is of great importance but I don't want to deter new smiths if they actually have a forge to bring out either.  I guess that'll be one for a discussion here as to what we would feel comfortable with and also ideas for bettering our own forges for demos, etc.
          And yes, levels of experience  is really of importance too.  Maybe we could do a" this is a forge: anything in this area can kill you, even the blacksmith" (title copyrighted to me:) ) class during the day," a no touchy class but this is the important things to know class", is always important too.  Depends if the persons bringing out the forge just wants a fun day or a learning day.
          Its finda like a car, you ask if you can drive it before  you try to get into the drivers seat.
          I know, baby steps first but I am  an enthusiast for smithing

          Thora V

           On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Darrell @ the Wareham Forge <wareham@...> wrote:

          > OH and I was thinking that maybe next year we could have a hammer in??? anyone interested??? if there's space that is.
          >
          > Lady Thora V

          Problem is always a combination of available space, more importantly available *time*.

          This suggests a camping event on both scores.

          One question:
          Historic or what is basically 'modern' equipment??

          This might be also defined by the objective - a demonstration, for skills development of the participants, or as public involvement. (And believe me, those are all quite different!)

          One thing I might mention is that the 20 year for Bonfield is coming up this year. I know it is later in the calendar, but also Finnvarr is a willing host for this kind of thing.

          I had been casting around for something to do a bit out of the ordinary. An iron smelt is under consideration, but I already have a proposed public demonstration smelt for early August (just after another possible L'Anse aux Meadows expedition for DARC).

          Bringing my own Viking Age equipment set up might prove much easier.

          Darrell / Sylard

        • Helmut's Forge
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 27, 2011
            I am working with a small museum in near Woodstock Ontario that has a 1890's Blacksmith shop. We have been talking about hosting a timeline blacksmithing event. The near by town of Tillsonburg was founded as an iron town because of large deposits of bog iron and was originally called Dereham Forge. So the area has a history of smithing.

            The site has lots of room for forges and camping, over 10 acres, is very accessible, virtually midway between Windsor and Toronto, about 20 minutes off the 401. They host a Civil war reenactment so the town is used to noisy events.

            Being a timeline event all types of equipment and costuming would be acceptable. I demonstrate with a 1790's charcoal forge for the War of 1812.

            Any interest.

            Helmut

            On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Henrietta Verwey <hverweybsmith@...> wrote:

            That sounds like I a great idea, I might even have my norse forge up and running by then too.
            And if we get the same site as this year for Hare, there is a Huge front lawn (i''ll see if there are pics of it)  and more then enough space for us the armoured combatants and fencers and even dancers if they want.  Its a huge out door space for sure.

            I know historically accurate  is of great importance but I don't want to deter new smiths if they actually have a forge to bring out either.  I guess that'll be one for a discussion here as to what we would feel comfortable with and also ideas for bettering our own forges for demos, etc.
            And yes, levels of experience  is really of importance too.  Maybe we could do a" this is a forge: anything in this area can kill you, even the blacksmith" (title copyrighted to me:) ) class during the day," a no touchy class but this is the important things to know class", is always important too.  Depends if the persons bringing out the forge just wants a fun day or a learning day.
            Its finda like a car, you ask if you can drive it before  you try to get into the drivers seat.
            I know, baby steps first but I am  an enthusiast for smithing

            Thora V

             On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Darrell @ the Wareham Forge <wareham@...> wrote:

            > OH and I was thinking that maybe next year we could have a hammer in??? anyone interested??? if there's space that is.
            >
            > Lady Thora V

            Problem is always a combination of available space, more importantly available *time*.

            This suggests a camping event on both scores.

            One question:
            Historic or what is basically 'modern' equipment??

            This might be also defined by the objective - a demonstration, for skills development of the participants, or as public involvement. (And believe me, those are all quite different!)

            One thing I might mention is that the 20 year for Bonfield is coming up this year. I know it is later in the calendar, but also Finnvarr is a willing host for this kind of thing.

            I had been casting around for something to do a bit out of the ordinary. An iron smelt is under consideration, but I already have a proposed public demonstration smelt for early August (just after another possible L'Anse aux Meadows expedition for DARC).

            Bringing my own Viking Age equipment set up might prove much easier.

            Darrell / Sylard

          • Darrell Markewitz
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2011
              Do you have a date range in mind Tim?

              Obviously, the connection with the bog iron interests me (considerably).
              Is there any kind of information available on the original source
              deposits - primarily if any of this material is still available?
              I have seen samples of bog ores from the Normandale area, which
              supported one of the earlier blast furnace complexes in Ontario. The
              remaining material (or the samples I saw anyway) would not support a
              smaller scale (more ancient) direct bloomery furnace.

              Depending on dates, I might be interested in mounting an iron smelt.
              Seems too good a matching of location history with a local expert.

              Would there be any funding support?

              Darrell

              Darrell Markewitz - Artisan Blacksmith
              the Wareham Forge - Historic Reproductions & Architectural Forgings
              <http://www.warehamforge.ca>
              Interpretive Program Design - Norse Replicas / Viking Age Equipment
              <http://www.warehamforge.ca/NORSE-REPRO/norse.html>

              Blog : Hammered Out Bits

              Author of:
              Introduction to Blacksmithing (DVD)
              Historic Bladesmithing (DVD)
              Forging the Viking Age (DVD)
              Experimental Iron Smelting from the Viking Age (CD-ROM)
              Exploring the Viking Age in Denmark (data DVD)
              all available at http://www.warehamforge.ca/video.html

              All materials created by Darrell Markewitz copyrighted the author.
              http://www.warehamforge.ca/copy.html
            • Darrell Markewitz
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2011
                http://www.ingersolltimes.com/articledisplay.aspx?e=2848945&archive=true

                The article is great for describing locations.
                It does fall apart at the end. The author mangles a lot of the technical
                details.
                (Sulphur was NEVER an intentional addition to ANY iron alloy - it is an
                impurity to be avoided at all costs! This was *why* charcoal rather than
                rock coal was used for iron smelting up where ever possible.)

                There is a big difference between a blast furnace operation in the early
                Industrial Age, and a bloomery furnace.

                Typically an operation of the early Settlement period in Ontario would
                be a straight blast furnace, producing *cast* iron. Objects would be
                stoves and fry pans and the like. The high carbon cast iron is liquid,
                and easily poured into sand moulds. This metal can *not* be forged
                however. Cast iron is also "basically" not utilized during the medieval
                period. (You can quibble about early use in China, minimal use in Europe
                during the 1500's - and if post 1600 is part of the SCA time line.)

                Curious (to me) are the historic references to 'bloom' and 'forge'. Both
                suggest a bloomery furnace, which would typically be smaller scale and
                designed to produce lower carbon wrought iron. Which of course is the
                material of the blacksmith historically.

                Remember an earlier question that came up for discussion about historic
                metal types (compared to modern steels)...

                Darrell

                Darrell Markewitz - Artisan Blacksmith
                the Wareham Forge - Historic Reproductions & Architectural Forgings
                <http://www.warehamforge.ca>
                Interpretive Program Design - Norse Replicas / Viking Age Equipment
                <http://www.warehamforge.ca/NORSE-REPRO/norse.html>

                Blog : Hammered Out Bits

                Author of:
                Introduction to Blacksmithing (DVD)
                Historic Bladesmithing (DVD)
                Forging the Viking Age (DVD)
                Experimental Iron Smelting from the Viking Age (CD-ROM)
                Exploring the Viking Age in Denmark (data DVD)
                all available at http://www.warehamforge.ca/video.html

                All materials created by Darrell Markewitz copyrighted the author.
                http://www.warehamforge.ca/copy.html
              • Gary Walker
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2011

                   Hello

                  I would like to pick your brain if I could for a moment.

                  I had a conversation with Thora at Hare this year about wrought iron and on doing further research concede that I was wrong, wrought iron as made was low carbon, plus a bunch of other stuff.
                  But I do know that both in armour and in weapons they were using material that had varing quantities of carbon in it. What process would be in use to make the medieval sheets or bars of carbon steel?

                  Duncan

                • Henrietta Verwey
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 28, 2011
                     Hi Helmut

                    I would be very interested in coming out for a hammer in at you museum, depending on the date.  I've decided not to do full time at my museum this next summer but I'll still be working part time there and doing my own demo's too. Let me know as soon as you can on the dates. I'll even haul my A frame "tajma hall" tent  out for it too.

                    Thanks for thinking of us

                    Thora V

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 29, 2011
                          Hail Helmut, I believe I met you at the historical merchants event at RBG last weekend(?).  I'd be interested in participating in a Hammer In, although as a novice only.  Thanks for posting!

                          Sciath

                          To: EaldormereBlacksmithguild@yahoogroups.com
                          From: helmutsforge@...
                          Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:36:05 -0500
                          Subject: Re: [EaldormereBlacksmithguild] Hammer In?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2011
                            Thank you all for the interest expressed. I will be attending a meeting with the museum people soon and because of that interest I will start the ball rolling. I already have started to see if I bcan get a supply of local bog iron, I do not know if I can get any of sufficient quality, but I will try. How much would be needed for a good attempt at a smelting demo? I am aware that it depends on the ore quality but a ball park figure would be helpful.
                            Helmut