Eagles and swans

  • Laurie Ferguson Craig
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 5:19 PM
      Hi, everyone,

      I have a question regarding eagles. What might they be feeding on now?
      Herring? Capelin? Eulachon? I counted 38 (3 were immature) standing on
      the sandy shore at low tide yesterday near the #21 Gastineau Channel
      marker. This area is east of the river mouth and appears to be the west
      entrance to the channel. I watched with binoculars from the north
      Douglas boat launch ramp at 9:30 or 10am Sunday. Low tide was at 8:49am.

      Monday (4.1.02) at 3:15pm I saw two swans fly west from TEMSCO over the
      taxiway (approx. altitude 120 feet) toward the river. Most freshwater
      ponds at the airport are still frozen but they might land on the
      wetlands ponds. Has anyone else seen them?

      Laurie Craig
    • Robert Armstrong
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 5:57 AM
        Hi Laurie, I believe this is the area where Pacific sand lance can be found
        buried at low tides. I suspect that is what the eagles are after. Thanks for
        the information we will check it out. A few swans have been hanging out near
        the Kings residence -- Bob Armstrong