new years day

  • Bev Agler
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
      hi all, happy new year!

      I know this is "eagle" chat, but for a brief moment it's "cetacean" chat. I
      thought people might like to know that the whales (humpbacks) have been
      spectacular lately. They have moved to the area around the Shrine and can
      be seen either from the overlook just past the Shrine or the BEST looks are
      from the Shrine.

      I have been out several times over the past week. I have actually been able
      to see blows from my house in Tee Harbor, but the best looks are at the
      Shrine. Yesterday, there were at least 12+ humpbacks. Each group was
      surrounded by
      Stiller's sea lions. On all occasions the sea lions have been accompanying
      at least some of the whales. Yesterday they were doing a behavior I have
      never observed. One group of ~50 sea lions would surface and all of them
      would start growling so loudly that it sounded as though someone had started
      a chain saw. (We were ~1/2 mile away, seas were quite calm.). Then a
      humpback would surface about 1/4 mile from the sea lions. The sea lions
      would turn as a group and porpoise towards the whale. This happened over
      and over again. Approximately 1-3 minutes before the whale would surface
      the sea lions would growl. Then they would take off as a group and follow
      the whale. Finally after about 1/2 hour, the sea lion group sort of split
      up. 20 or so kept following that one whale, while the others appeared to
      head for a pair that was south of the Shrine.

      happy 2002. bev.
    • Andy Smoker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
        A most entertaining event in Auke Bay before the breakwater was built in the
        mid 80's was when the killer whales showed up & chased a good sized herd of
        SSlions that were feeding on herring onto the public utility dock who quickly
        displaced the humans (that were observing the SSlions) up the ramp.

        Bev Agler wrote:

        > hi all, happy new year!
        >
        > I know this is "eagle" chat, but for a brief moment it's "cetacean" chat. I
        > thought people might like to know that the whales (humpbacks) have been
        > spectacular lately. They have moved to the area around the Shrine and can
        > be seen either from the overlook just past the Shrine or the BEST looks are
        > from the Shrine.
        >
        > I have been out several times over the past week. I have actually been able
        > to see blows from my house in Tee Harbor, but the best looks are at the
        > Shrine. Yesterday, there were at least 12+ humpbacks. Each group was
        > surrounded by
        > Stiller's sea lions. On all occasions the sea lions have been accompanying
        > at least some of the whales. Yesterday they were doing a behavior I have
        > never observed. One group of ~50 sea lions would surface and all of them
        > would start growling so loudly that it sounded as though someone had started
        > a chain saw. (We were ~1/2 mile away, seas were quite calm.). Then a
        > humpback would surface about 1/4 mile from the sea lions. The sea lions
        > would turn as a group and porpoise towards the whale. This happened over
        > and over again. Approximately 1-3 minutes before the whale would surface
        > the sea lions would growl. Then they would take off as a group and follow
        > the whale. Finally after about 1/2 hour, the sea lion group sort of split
        > up. 20 or so kept following that one whale, while the others appeared to
        > head for a pair that was south of the Shrine.
        >
        > happy 2002. bev.

      • Deanna MacPhail
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2010

          Just had a flock of about 40 juncos come through the yard; included several Slates.  I don’t believe I’ve ever seen such a large flock.

          Rotary Park pond this ayem – mostly Mallards, a couple of Am. Wigeons and still one Am. Coot.

          deanna