Common Murre, Skagway

  • Pat Bock
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2012
      I got a call today from Joanne Beierly, Skagway, 983-2431.  Over the past several days, they have had very stormy/windy weather.  They have had numerous dead common murres come onshore; they have also had some come ashore that were alive.

      The dead ones don't appear to be skinny and have no obvious injuries.  She wondered if anyone in Juneau living near the water has had this happen or has anyone heard of this.

      Joanne is not a member of Eagle Chat and doesn't check her email that often so I didn't get her email address; she gave me permission to list her name and phone number.  Feel free to contact her.

      I am a Juneau Raptor Center member/volunteer and as far as I know we've not cared for or been called about such birds.

      Thanks.  pat bock, douglas, 364-3389

    • Matt Goff
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2012
        There's been some Common Murre mortality and unusual behavior lately in
        Sitka as well.

        I wrote a little bit about it at the end of a post (mostly about eagles
        eating murres) a couple days ago:
        http://www.sitkanature.org/wordpress/2012/01/06/eagles-and-murres/

        Matt Goff
        Sitka

        On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 17:43:28 -0900, Pat Bock <pbkritters@...>
        wrote:

        > I got a call today from Joanne Beierly, Skagway, 983-2431. Over the
        > past several days, they have had very stormy/windy weather. They have
        > had numerous dead common murres come onshore; they have also had some
        > come ashore that were alive.
        > The dead ones don't appear to be skinny and have no obvious injuries.
        > She wondered if anyone in Juneau living near the water has had this
        > happen or has anyone heard of this.
        > Joanne is not a member of Eagle Chat and doesn't check her email that
        > often so I didn't get her email address; she gave me permission to list
        > her name and phone number. Feel free to contact her.
        > I am a Juneau Raptor Center member/volunteer and as far as I know we've
        > not cared for or been called about such birds.
        > Thanks. pat bock, douglas, 364-3389

      • Laurie L.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2012
          Does anyone in Skagway do COASST surveys (Coastal Observation and Seabird Survey Team)? COASST volunteers regularly survey beaches for dead birds and record observations.
          Laurie Lamm
          Juneau