Spotted Towhee in North Douglas

  • Paul Suchanek
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2010
      I had a spotted towhee show up in my yard this afternoon.  This species is very rare for the state.  It only showed itself twice but may stick around.  Let me know if you are interested in trying to see it (email or 463-4891).  I'll probably be out most of tomorrow morning.
      Paul
    • Mary Claire Harris
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2010
        What a day!  Deanna MacPhail and I set out to see what we could see on North Douglas.  Stopped by Paul's, but no Towhee yet, just Juncos, Chickadees, and a couple Stellar's Jays were seen.  Drove to the end of North Douglas Highway to walk out on the electric line boardwalk and check out the beach.  Halfway down the trail, we spotted a shape that could have been a leaf or a bird high up at the top of bare spruce tree.  It was a bird, too small for a junco, too large for a crow, and too far away to identify.  Then the bird flew.  It was a Northern Pygmy-Owl.  We watched it for about 20 minutes, until the cold caused us to move on.   At the beach, we saw a pair of Common Loons, thanks to Deanna's scope.   Heading back to the car, we hoped to see the owl again.  We did.  It was still moving about in the same area (Number 100003 utility pole right beside the boardwalk).  Decided to stop at Paul's one more time on the way back to town.  Success!  The Spotted Towhee made an appearance as did the same birds we'd seen earlier.  What a day!

        Mary Claire Harris