Mystery Bird

  • Matt Goff
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 10:24 AM
      I'm pretty sure this is a long shot, but I'll give it a try anyway.

      I was walking at Totem Park this morning and I heard a bird fly overhead.
      It was followed shortly by a second one of the same species. I did not
      get a good look at them, but they appeared to be songbirds, probably about
      the size of a sparrow. They flew like small/medium sized songbirds with
      bursts of wingbeats followed by very short glides (making a little bit of
      a bouncy flight). If that's all I had, I would consider it hopeless, but
      I did hear calls. The calls were new for me, and as best I can put them
      into letter sounds they went something like this:
      di-di-di-dit-tchew

      The di-di-di-dit was quite fast, the tchew a little more extended, but not
      a huge amount. I was walking along the tideflats, but these birds could
      have been flying from most anywhere.

      Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated

      Matt Goff
    • Nat Drumheller
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 7:29 PM
        My guess is that they were Lapland Longspurs. Longspurs just started
        showing up along the beaches in Gustavus over the last week. Their calls
        are similar to Snow Buntings, and the two species hang out together eating
        seeds along the beaches. -Nat, Gustavus