Red menace

  • Gwen Baluss
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 3:11 PM
      Beware of Rufous hummingbirds in Juneau this weekend.
      There's been reports from Ketchikan (3/31) and
      Gustavus (3/29 and 3/30).
    • Beth Peluso
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 4:34 PM
        Saw my first rusty blackbirds ever today (huzzah!) out
        at the Temsco pond--I saw at least 4, and at least two
        were singing, which is what caught my attention in the
        first place. One was still very rusty (in color, not
        his singing), including on the face, but the other
        three had black heads and only rusty edging on their
        body and wing feathers.

        The other fun bird of the day was a canvasback that
        spent most of his time napping. There were also about
        100 Canada geese, about 75 mallards, 6 (greater?)
        scaup, 1 male common merganser, 2 buffleheads, a
        kingfisher, pine siskins singing, and 3 song sparrows
        singing. Busy little place!

        Last week's wednesday walk started slow--we didn't see
        much until we reached the cemetary. There we saw at
        least 20 robins bopping around on the ground, a half
        dozen starlings on the ground, chickadees, and heard a
        junco singing. Steve Winker (sorry if I misspelled
        your last name Steve!) spotted a Northern flicker
        (red-shafted). I only got a quick glimpse as it flew
        off toward some houses. A good ending to the walk
        though!

        Wednesday walks meet at Rainbow foods at noon and last
        an hour. Come join us!

        Beth Peluso
        Douglas

        http://mail.yahoo.com