Re: Along Cowee Creek

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      Dang, that *is* a good day. One word of advice about the upstream
      cottonwood area - it's heavily used by hunters during deer and duck
      seasons. I've been wandering around back there and been forced to
      beat a hasty retreat to get away from hunters shooting in my
      direction, driving deer my way....

      --- In Eaglechat@yahoogroups.com, "glacierbirder"
      <lagartija_Xela@h...> wrote:
      > Hey all --
      >
      > I spent the day yesterday (Monday the 30th) out at Pt. Bridget
      State
      > Park. I explored the large cottonwood/willow area upstream from the
      > meadow this time. I hadn't ever gone back in there before, though i
      > don't know why. Anyway, the birding was great. In that area, I had
      > Common Yellowthroat, Hammond's Flycatcher, two countersinging
      Warbling
      > Vireos, 2 Cedar Waxwings, 4 Vaux's Swifts, and a beautiful male
      Western
      > Tanager (singing from the top of a spruce on the opposite side of
      the
      > creek). I also had a second singing male W.Tanager out near the
      creek
      > mouth. Out in Cowee Cove there were good numbers of scoters (all
      three
      > species), 20+ Pacific Loons, and one Yellow-billed Loon. All in
      all, a
      > great bird day.
      >
      > -Matt! Brooks
      > glacierbirder@y...
    • glacierbirder
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        Good advice Joe--

        Ironically, I was "encouraged" to go that direction by the sound of
        semi-automatic gunfire and barking dogs coming from the direction of
        Cowee Meadow Cabin.
        Thanks.
        --Matt!
        glacierbirder@...

        --- In Eaglechat@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <rockclimber@y...> wrote:
        > Dang, that *is* a good day. One word of advice about the upstream
        > cottonwood area - it's heavily used by hunters during deer and duck
        > seasons. I've been wandering around back there and been forced to
        > beat a hasty retreat to get away from hunters shooting in my
        > direction, driving deer my way....
        >
        > --- In Eaglechat@yahoogroups.com, "glacierbirder"
        > <lagartija_Xela@h...> wrote:
        > > Hey all --
        > >
        > > I spent the day yesterday (Monday the 30th) out at Pt. Bridget
        > State
        > > Park. I explored the large cottonwood/willow area upstream from
        the
        > > meadow this time. I hadn't ever gone back in there before, though
        > > don't know why. Anyway, the birding was great. In that area, I
        had
        > > Common Yellowthroat, Hammond's Flycatcher, two countersinging
        > Warbling
        > > Vireos, 2 Cedar Waxwings, 4 Vaux's Swifts, and a beautiful male
        > Western
        > > Tanager (singing from the top of a spruce on the opposite side of
        > the
        > > creek). I also had a second singing male W.Tanager out near the
        > creek
        > > mouth. Out in Cowee Cove there were good numbers of scoters (all
        > three
        > > species), 20+ Pacific Loons, and one Yellow-billed Loon. All in
        > all, a
        > > great bird day.
        > >
        > > -Matt! Brooks
        > > glacierbirder@y...
      • Joe
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
          Gunfire from the Cowee Meadow Cabin? Yikes!

          My "favorite" gunfire story is about the time I was out the road,
          sitting on some rocks, on the water side, out in a cove (which I'm
          sure has a name, I just don't know it). I was watching and
          photographing shorebirds and ducks and sealions. I wasn't visible
          from the shore. I bunch of kids with .22's piled onto the beach and
          started plinking in my direction - close enough to me that I heard
          the "crack" of a bullet whizzing close by, over my head. I always
          thought that hearing a bullet fly past was a literary license kinda
          thing. It isn't... Needless to say I started yelling at them. To
          their credit the stopped immediately and yelled back a sheepish
          apology. Kinda scary tho.

          <lagartija_Xela@h...> wrote:
          > Good advice Joe--
          >
          > Ironically, I was "encouraged" to go that direction by the sound of
          > semi-automatic gunfire and barking dogs coming from the direction
          of
          > Cowee Meadow Cabin.
          > Thanks.
          > --Matt!
          > glacierbirder@y...
          >

          > --- In Eaglechat@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <rockclimber@y...> wrote:
          > > Dang, that *is* a good day. One word of advice about the
          upstream
          > > cottonwood area - it's heavily used by hunters during deer and
          duck
          > > seasons. I've been wandering around back there and been forced
          > > beat a hasty retreat to get away from hunters shooting in my
          > > direction, driving deer my way....
          > >
          > > --- In Eaglechat@yahoogroups.com, "glacierbirder"
          > > <lagartija_Xela@h...> wrote:
          > > > Hey all --
          > > >
          > > > I spent the day yesterday (Monday the 30th) out at Pt. Bridget
          > > State
          > > > Park. I explored the large cottonwood/willow area upstream from
          > the
          > > > meadow this time. I hadn't ever gone back in there before,
          though
          > > > don't know why. Anyway, the birding was great. In that area, I
          > had
          > > > Common Yellowthroat, Hammond's Flycatcher, two countersinging
          > > Warbling
          > > > Vireos, 2 Cedar Waxwings, 4 Vaux's Swifts, and a beautiful male
          > > Western
          > > > Tanager (singing from the top of a spruce on the opposite side
          of
          > > the
          > > > creek). I also had a second singing male W.Tanager out near the
          > > creek
          > > > mouth. Out in Cowee Cove there were good numbers of scoters
          (all
          > > three
          > > > species), 20+ Pacific Loons, and one Yellow-billed Loon. All in
          > > all, a
          > > > great bird day.
          > > >
          > > > -Matt! Brooks
          > > > glacierbirder@y...
        • Bach, Sylvia
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
            I can remember one time my husband and I (and the dogs) were walking
            around the pond by Temsco during duck hunting season and someone in a
            blind on the other side (Egan Dr. side) starting shooting in our
            direction. They were shooting at the bank below us, probably trying to
            get us to leave because we were ruining their duck hunt. We couldn't
            see them but they were there. It was around 11 years ago or so. We
            left but for some reason we didn't do anything about it. I kick myself
            today for not doing anything.

            I like walking my dogs at the Dredge Lake area but it is rather risky
            during duck hunting season. Last year my son and I were down at Crystal
            Lake and he wanted to walk around Moraine Lake and for some reason I
            said No, and not two seconds later we heard loud gunshots coming from
            the lake. Pretty scary.

            <lagartija_Xela@h...> wrote:
            > Good advice Joe--
            >
            > Ironically, I was "encouraged" to go that direction by the sound of
            > semi-automatic gunfire and barking dogs coming from the direction
            of
            > Cowee Meadow Cabin.
            > Thanks.
            > --Matt!
            > glacierbirder@y...
            >

            > --- In Eaglechat@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <rockclimber@y...> wrote:
            > > Dang, that *is* a good day. One word of advice about the
            upstream
            > > cottonwood area - it's heavily used by hunters during deer and
            duck
            > > seasons. I've been wandering around back there and been forced
            > > beat a hasty retreat to get away from hunters shooting in my
            > > direction, driving deer my way....
            > >
            > > --- In Eaglechat@yahoogroups.com, "glacierbirder"
            > > <lagartija_Xela@h...> wrote:
            > > > Hey all --
            > > >
            > > > I spent the day yesterday (Monday the 30th) out at Pt. Bridget
            > > State
            > > > Park. I explored the large cottonwood/willow area upstream from
            > the
            > > > meadow this time. I hadn't ever gone back in there before,
            though
            > > > don't know why. Anyway, the birding was great. In that area, I
            > had
            > > > Common Yellowthroat, Hammond's Flycatcher, two countersinging
            > > Warbling
            > > > Vireos, 2 Cedar Waxwings, 4 Vaux's Swifts, and a beautiful male
            > > Western
            > > > Tanager (singing from the top of a spruce on the opposite side
            of
            > > the
            > > > creek). I also had a second singing male W.Tanager out near the
            > > creek
            > > > mouth. Out in Cowee Cove there were good numbers of scoters
            (all
            > > three
            > > > species), 20+ Pacific Loons, and one Yellow-billed Loon. All in
            > > all, a
            > > > great bird day.
            > > >
            > > > -Matt! Brooks
            > > > glacierbirder@y...

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Tracy And Kim Rivera
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
              I don't know the exact boundaries of the Mendenhall Wetlands Game Refuge (it is called a game refuge, right?) but I'm guessing it goes down by the Temsco pond.....so I'm not sure why one would want to walk down there during hunting season. I can't imagine that a hunter would ever intentionally shoot at someone, but I guess I wouldn't want to tempt fate and get accidentally shot.
              > I can remember one time my husband and I (and the dogs) were walking
              > around the pond by Temsco during duck hunting season and someone in a
              > blind on the other side (Egan Dr. side) starting shooting in our
              > direction. They were shooting at the bank below us, probably
              > trying to
              > get us to leave because we were ruining their duck hunt. We couldn't
              > see them but they were there. It was around 11 years ago or so. We
              > left but for some reason we didn't do anything about it. I kick
              > myselftoday for not doing anything.
              >
              > I like walking my dogs at the Dredge Lake area but it is rather risky
              > during duck hunting season. Last year my son and I were down at
              > CrystalLake and he wanted to walk around Moraine Lake and for some
              > reason I
              > said No, and not two seconds later we heard loud gunshots coming from
              > the lake. Pretty scary.

            • Bach, Sylvia
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
                Well, we didn't think that hunting was allowed in that pond, and second,
                you weren't there so you didn't see and here the shots hitting the bank
                right below us and the dirt flying around.. Why do I even write to this
                site. I am done. Goodbye. Have fun birding.