Haines Birds

  • Marlena Mooring
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3 6:13 PM
      April 1st and I finally heard a thrush by the garage.  Saw a RB Nuthatch and two stellar Jays turning over leaves under the raspberry patch looking for food.

      Went for a drive/walk at Chilkoot River and saw 40+ pairs of Marbled Murlets in the extremely calm waters of Lutak .  Saw a group of six pigeon guillamots and then a group of four.  We usually see just one.   Spotted one Harlequin duck in amongst Surf Scoters and Barrow Goldeneyes.  There were mallards towards the mouth of the river along with a few buffleheads.  Walking along the river, we saw and heard two belted Kingfishers and as always a dozen + common mergansers.  On the way back to the truck, I found two perfectly good pink pixies wedged in the rocks.  Makes up for some that I lost last summer.

      The Ravens in the lower 48 are quite bold compared to our AK ones.  I saw a couple of Ravens that were being hand-fed at the Columbia Icefield.  At  UT a raven followed me to the door of the truck and waited for a hand-out.  They don't jump at the food before they eat it like our Ravens do.

      When we were parked at a dump station in a TX state park, a mockingbird was knocking himself out in our sideview mirrors.  The bird kept this up going from one mirror to the other.  I guess he thinks it works because we did finally leave.  Also a clarks nuttall flew and perched right on on door looking for a handout.  We drove away with the bird clinging to our mirror.  The bird finally flew away; he couldn't keep up with the truck.

      Yahoo! Messenger
    • Andy Smoker

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23 10:26 PM
          Had a couple of beautiful Myrtle Warblers in the backyard today along with several ruby crowned kinglets.  I enjoy hearing them sing.  Also, for the first time we had 8 to 10 Red Crossbills in the yard trying to feed at the cracked sunflower seed feeder.  The siskins are still coming by the hundreds and the Merlin hasn't made a dent in the mob although he tries.  Our resident rufus hummer is guarding the three feeders, chasing the siskins and other male hummers and does his "J" courting to the females who come to drink at the feeders.

          The other day by the mouth of the Chilkoot River, we saw Mallards, Pintails, Buffleheads and Am Widgeons.  On Lutak inlet the Surf Scoters are rafting together by the hundreds.   We guesstimated 600 in one raft.

          The thrushes were really singing loud today.  Maybe they like the hot weather.  It was 78 degrees today in Haines.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Marlena Mooring
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28 10:09 PM
            We've been out looking for the eider with no luck.  We did spot four canvasbacks and one harlequin in a raft of scoters.  There were five trumpeter swans close to shore. At the end of lutak inlet, we saw lots of Mallards, Shovelers, Am Widgeons and at least eight green-winged teal.  Also saw one Great Blue Heron.  Went to the end of Chilkoot Lake for some Dolly fishing again.  Sunday when we were fishing, we saw two swans.  Yesterday we saw only one.  Maybe the other swan was on a nest somewhere.

            Our backyard is no longer inundated by flocks of siskins, thank goodness!  There's a few die-hards hanging on the one feeder we have left up.  However, we do have 15 white crowned sparrows (they're singing too), one yellow crown sparrow, one am tree sparrow and a lincoln sparrow in the yard....along with many juncos (slate).

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Marlena Mooring
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2007
              Out at the end of Lutak inlet, there were Napoleon Gulls, Lapland Long Spurs, hundreds of Savannah Sparrows, at least a hundred A. Pipet.  In our yard 60+ white crowned sparrows, Fox Sparrow (Taiga-Beautiful Rufus color on Gray), Townsend, Myrtle Warblers, Snipe, Orange Crown, Marsh Hawk and Mt Blue Birds out at Lutak Inlet.  Many surf scoter with the occassional white wing in the bunch, shovelers, mallards, widgeons, harlequins, B Goldeneyes, Buffleheads, etc.  Really enjoyed the birding as always.

              Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
              in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.