American coot in Twin Lakes 05/01/04

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2004
      Howdy,

      My first post but I thought you all might like to know there's an
      American coot hanging out near the shore of the small island by the
      park. It has been feeding on plants, etc. in the "channel" between
      the small island and the actual bank of the lake. It's been there all
      morning and is still there now (at least as of 3pm Sat, 05/01). It's
      fairly unfazed by humans and it let me approach pretty closely on the
      ground with my photo gear. I'm admittedly a novice birder but a
      serious amature wildlife/avian/landscape photographer who's just now
      discovering a healthy appreciation of our winged friends. Seems to
      me from my birding books and the web that this may be a fairly
      uncommon sighting. Anyway, to give some credance to my sighting,
      photos can be found here (and will be updated with many more as I
      process them - these were processed very quickly to throw up on the
      web for you folks...stay tuned):

      http://www.pbase.com/akclimber/coot

      Cheers!
      Joe McCabe