woodpeckers

  • Robert Armstrong
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2000
      Gus etc: Thanks for the info on the Ivory Billed Woodpecker -- fascinating
      -- I hope they find it. On a much less scale of importance I have had two
      reports of a Northern Flicker (red-shafted) at Tee Harbor. For the record:
      Connie Nesgoda reported seeing it at her feeder on Jan 2, Jan 28 and Feb 3,
      2000. If you need further details her number is 465-4684 (work) and 789-9058
      (home). I noticed in the Juneau checklist no winter record for the
      red-shafted, but a + for the yellow-shafted.

      Bob Armstrong
    • Nina Mollett
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2000
        Here's a URL for the story about ivory-bills which Bob must be referring to:

        http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0001/30/30woodpecker.html

        Not too many of 'em hereabouts...

        I haven't seen the grosbeak lately, anyone? Someone put a feeder up...

        Subject: [Eaglechat] woodpeckers
        Author: boba56@...
        Date: 2/4/00 12:09 AM

        From: "Robert Armstrong" <boba56@...>

        Gus etc: Thanks for the info on the Ivory Billed Woodpecker -- fascinating
        -- I hope they find it. On a much less scale of importance I have had two
        reports of a Northern Flicker (red-shafted) at Tee Harbor. For the record:
        Connie Nesgoda reported seeing it at her feeder on Jan 2, Jan 28 and Feb 3,
        2000. If you need further details her number is 465-4684 (work) and 789-9058
        (home). I noticed in the Juneau checklist no winter record for the
        red-shafted, but a + for the yellow-shafted.

        Bob Armstrong

        Want To Be Showered With Kisses?
        Visit eGroups Valentine Gift Guide

      • gwen baluss
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2001
          9/11 A few less usual birds out the road. At approx 30
          mile: 2 yellow-shafted Northern Flickers (actually
          feeding right in the road), and a Three-toed
          woodpecker nearby.
          Harlan's Red-tail near Cowee Cr.
          --GB

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Laurie Ferguson Craig
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20, 2009
            Hi, all you expert birders,

            I'd like some ID help with these two photos. Woodpeckers visited my
            Auke Lake house on March 18. I think this is a male hairy wp. It
            attracted my attention when it began pecking at the window rim. Then it
            flew off when the second wp appeared within 5 feet. I am assuming the
            second bird is a female hairy. Sorry the images are poor quality.
            Thanks.

            Laurie Craig
          • Jon & Gladi
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20, 2009
              Thanks for the photos Laurie. We had the same two at our suet several
              times this week -- in the Highlands above the cemetery. I wasn't sure
              if the second one was a female hairy or a downy.

              Gladi Kulp