RE: [E_Rapier] February fencing event

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 23, 2008
      If not everybody is on the list then it would be great if folks could get
      the news out at local meeting/practices. I currently have 65 people on my
      roster as authorized fencers and, oddly enough, there are 65 people in the
      Yahoo group but not the same 65 people, but a lot are. So, if we can get a
      least half of the fencers in Ealdormere out plus whatever hangers on they
      may bring, we'll be in good shape. This is a great event and I hope we can
      make it work.

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 23, 2008
        At 02:13 PM 12/23/2008, Eve Harris & David Stamper wrote:

        >The same goes for EAOD prizes. If people know they are going to be yanked
        >off the fencing floor at some point for a long period to make way for
        >prizes/classes, they may decide not to come. I know there is some

        I believe the gym had room for 3 lists, so we could have one bear
        pit, one tournament, and one EAOD prize. Given the smaller numbers
        we're looking at, we shouldn't need two lists open for every
        tournament to run quickly.

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 23, 2008
          At 02:18 PM 12/23/2008, you wrote:

          >I could easily run such an event for about $200 in Kingston, and at
          >$10 for site this permits a small number of fencers
          >to maintain an event.

          Then I hope you shall do so in the near future. I don't think many
          of us have that dedication or spare change.

          >The biggest thing here is making sure that the event will run
          >without the canton having to lift a finger. This takes
          >forethought and organization. But if you have a bear bones
          >structure hammered down, budgets planned down to the penny,
          >and staff ready to go--and have contingency plans for unforeseen
          >occurrances you'll find that it is a much easier to
          >
          >Anyway I've rambled on enough I think, but I'll leave you with this
          >final suggestion. Ask around (both SCAdian and
          >mundanely) at what people have discovered about spaces that are out
          >there, and what their prices are. With a little
          >effort and imagination its amazing what you can put together.

          Archibald, you know nothing about the planning or preparation Rylyn
          has done to be ready to propose this event, nor the experience she
          has from past events. By assuming she has done none of these things
          you insult her.

          A basic part of any budget is anticipated income, and the current
          stage of planning is trying to get a feel for what that income might be.