RE: [E_Rapier] New poll for E_Rapier

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2008
      At 10:05 AM 12/18/2008, you wrote:
      >I'd love to, but February is an extremely unlikely time for me to be able to
      >tear away from work this year (So I voted no can do)

      Thanks Lars, unhappy news is still useful news. I wouldn't expect
      any of our further north people to be more than a Maybe or Probably,
      since weather is a factor as well.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2008
        hmm Well no one has had me committed yet so... You should be safe .. ;-) Gerrard !!
        I put in a maybe. It's all contingent on when, and whether or not I'm already committed at that point.

        N.C.

        >I'd love to, but February is an extremely unlikely time for me to be able to
        >tear away from work this year (So I voted no can do)

        Thanks Lars, unhappy news is still useful news. I wouldn't expect
        any of our further north people to be more than a Maybe or Probably,
        since weather is a factor as well.

      • Catherine Redewell of Eoforwic
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 21, 2008
          Greetings,

          As the people I usually travelled with
          for that event were "dancers only",
          the odds of my getting to a "fencing
          only" event are very small. :-(

          As the event issues itself. My limited
          understanding was that they hoped to
          expand on the numbers that attended the
          originally "dance only" event (formerly
          known as "Step Spritely") and added the
          fencing as an additional draw for numbers
          of attendees. Unfortunately, by changing
          the name and adding a Court, etc., meant
          the majority of the American (dance)
          attendees stayed home as they thought the
          dance event had been cancelled (we found
          this out the Pennsic after the name change).
          They also discovered dance events to the
          south on that same weekend (when they
          thought our event was cancelled) so they
          started attending those - and therefore
          avoided our February weather and the border
          crossing issues for the following years.
          This resulted, I suspect, in the number of
          attendees remaining close to what it had
          been as a "dance only" event, and I suspect
          the site costs again exceeded the attendee
          site fees.

          I was of the understanding that they
          wanted to run a "heavy fighting only"
          event next February as there have been
          newbies interested in same, so I am
          pleasantly surprised at the idea of a
          fencing-only event. Unfortunately, as
          I've been slack about making it to fight
          practice, I'm really not up to par for
          fencing right now (though a winter of
          shoveling snow may solve that!).

          Good luck if you can make it work!

          In Service,

          Catherine

          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com,
          "Eve Harris & David Stamper"
          <evedave1@...> wrote:

          <<I would like to second the good Baroness.
          A large number of you have attended Silk
          Slippers & Crossed Swords (which is not
          being held this year) in the past and know
          how much fun an all day fencing-till-you-
          drop kind of event can be. That is what is
          envisioned for the February event with the
          same formats as the fencing at SS&CS,
          including the continuous bearpit. It
          will have the added advantage of probably
          not having the 5 pm cut off required by
          the site in Der Welfengau. Please respond
          so BT can get this event off the ground.

          Albrecht

          (who really wants this thing to happen as
          he is not RMIC and gets to play all day as
          Hoskuld is insisting I have to play in all
          the tourneys) >>

          _____