Re: [E_Rapier] New poll for E_Rapier

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
      At 03:53 PM 12/14/2008, you wrote:

      > From Gerrard: Is there some way to add a comment box??

      This is the best way to comment.

      >While I voted Absolutely I usually travel with a few others / some
      >of whom dance and would not have access to this poll.
      >I really enjoy having the dancers there. I gets to mingle with more
      >peoples. If it was just fencing... I would still attend! However it
      >might only be me ???

      Past history of Silk Slippers & Crossed Swords has some sore points
      that weren't obvious to those of us playing with swords, so the event
      being considered won't have dance classes, but may have time for
      dancing in the evening.

      Kathleen
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 17, 2008
        I would like to second the good Baroness. A large number of you have
        attended Silk Slippers & Crossed Swords (which is not being held this year)
        in the past and know how much fun an all day fencing-till-you-drop kind of
        event can be. That is what is envisioned for the February event with the
        same formats as the fencing at SS&CS, including the continuous bearpit. It
        will have the added advantage of probably not having the 5 pm cut off
        required by the site in Der Welfengau. Please respond so BT can get this
        event off the ground.

        Albrecht

        (who really wants this thing to happen as he is not RMIC and gets to play
        all day as Hoskuld is insisting I have to play in all the tourneys)

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2008
          I just voted maybe. I would love to attend and bring some other AEthelmearcians with me but it depends on the husband's job situation. which right now is very bad.
          Irene
          from south of the border

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 18, 2008
            I'd love to, but February is an extremely unlikely time for me to be able to
            tear away from work this year (So I voted no can do)

            Lars

            So the poll currently shows 5 Absolutely!s, 5 Probablys, and 1 Maybe.

            There are 65 members of the group. It would be very nice to have
            some more responses. Bryniau has an absolute need to start running
            events that make money, to stop the slow bleed in our coffers, and if
            only 11 out of 65 people care enough to answer the question, it
            doesn't bode well for the event. We were expecting a small event,
            but not THIS small.

            Please vote if you haven't yet!

            Even if the vote is "Sorry, no"

            Eyrny

            >If we had a rapier only event in the style of Silk Slippers and
            >Crossed Swords on Feb 14, 2008, in Bryniau (Kitchener) would you come?
            >
            > o Absolutely!
            > o Probably
            > o Maybe
            > o Probably Not
            > o Sorry, no can do

          • David Whitford
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 18, 2008
              Ok-voted but I really dont think I should be part of your equation.
              Robert

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 18, 2008
                At 10:05 AM 12/18/2008, you wrote:
                >I'd love to, but February is an extremely unlikely time for me to be able to
                >tear away from work this year (So I voted no can do)

                Thanks Lars, unhappy news is still useful news. I wouldn't expect
                any of our further north people to be more than a Maybe or Probably,
                since weather is a factor as well.

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 18, 2008
                  hmm Well no one has had me committed yet so... You should be safe .. ;-) Gerrard !!
                  I put in a maybe. It's all contingent on when, and whether or not I'm already committed at that point.

                  N.C.

                  >I'd love to, but February is an extremely unlikely time for me to be able to
                  >tear away from work this year (So I voted no can do)

                  Thanks Lars, unhappy news is still useful news. I wouldn't expect
                  any of our further north people to be more than a Maybe or Probably,
                  since weather is a factor as well.

                • Catherine Redewell of Eoforwic
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 21, 2008
                    Greetings,

                    As the people I usually travelled with
                    for that event were "dancers only",
                    the odds of my getting to a "fencing
                    only" event are very small. :-(

                    As the event issues itself. My limited
                    understanding was that they hoped to
                    expand on the numbers that attended the
                    originally "dance only" event (formerly
                    known as "Step Spritely") and added the
                    fencing as an additional draw for numbers
                    of attendees. Unfortunately, by changing
                    the name and adding a Court, etc., meant
                    the majority of the American (dance)
                    attendees stayed home as they thought the
                    dance event had been cancelled (we found
                    this out the Pennsic after the name change).
                    They also discovered dance events to the
                    south on that same weekend (when they
                    thought our event was cancelled) so they
                    started attending those - and therefore
                    avoided our February weather and the border
                    crossing issues for the following years.
                    This resulted, I suspect, in the number of
                    attendees remaining close to what it had
                    been as a "dance only" event, and I suspect
                    the site costs again exceeded the attendee
                    site fees.

                    I was of the understanding that they
                    wanted to run a "heavy fighting only"
                    event next February as there have been
                    newbies interested in same, so I am
                    pleasantly surprised at the idea of a
                    fencing-only event. Unfortunately, as
                    I've been slack about making it to fight
                    practice, I'm really not up to par for
                    fencing right now (though a winter of
                    shoveling snow may solve that!).

                    Good luck if you can make it work!